a buddy of mine is giving me a guitar for free and while playing it i noticed how uncomfortable running my hand up and down the neck was, due to the frets cutting into my fingers. so ive decided to fix this by filing the edges of the frets down.

is it a bad idea? how would i go about filing them?
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

not a bad idea, and it's a free guitar, go ahead and experiment. and really, i don't know much about filing frets. ask someone with guitar tech experience
You'll need to file them, then.

Just get a small metal file and file the edges flush to the fretboard and then angle the fret edges a bit like you see on any guitar.
Check out the repair section on www.guitarattack.com they got all kinds of sh it b about stuff like that.
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by Invader Jim
You'll need to file them, then.

Just get a small metal file and file the edges flush to the fretboard and then angle the fret edges a bit like you see on any guitar.

alright. thanks
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

You should check out the repair section on www.guitarattack.com, they got all kinds of techniques for sh it like that.

EDIT: my bad, sorry abou the double post, my net got all fu cked up
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Last edited by Mad Mike 829 at Feb 25, 2009,
ill go there.

they did a pretty thorough job of explaining how to build a Monterrey strat [something i read a while back] so they prolly got tips for guitar repair and stuff

where can i buy files?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

You just posted the exact same thing twice.

edit: TS you can try stew-mac, but they are overpriced a bit. Or maybe a hardware store?
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 25, 2009,
If you have the time you can make a tool that will bevel the sides of the frets nicely and uniformly.

Tutorial is in the link below scroll about half way down the page to the sentence starting with...

'Now grab a second piece of 2 x 4 and a double sided flat file'

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/fretting.htm

If you dont want to make it stew mac sell it for a silly price (if you'll only use it once)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning/Fret_Beveling_File.html

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 25, 2009,
very interesting stuff. if i had the time id definitely do it, but, im way to lazy

stew mac is way over priced. 100$ for a set of 2 files?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by koalabacon
a buddy of mine is giving me a guitar for free and while playing it i noticed how uncomfortable running my hand up and down the neck was, due to the frets cutting into my fingers. so ive decided to fix this by filing the edges of the frets down.

is it a bad idea? how would i go about filing them?
Filing is a good place to start if they're very square on the ends or protrude past the side of the neck. But after you get close and have the ends slightly beveled, a stone is the best way to finish imho. Use a stone, like the ones for sharpening a knife. It leaves a smooth surface.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I use a fine double cut file jammed into a piece of wood i made on my table saw (set at 35 degrees) to bevel the ends initially then I'll take my dressing file and I'll dress the burr off of the ends and then take a few swipes down the end of the fret to cut back on the roughness left by the other file (I should try the stone trick...). After that, I take a sanding sponge and run it up and down the board followed by a piece of micromesh around the little rubber sponge thing they send with it. They come out all nice and purdy.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology