I don't think it's suppost to do that... :S
Gear:
Ibanez GSZ120
Mitchell MD-100S
Roland Cube 60
Boss DD-7
rattles where?

TS: don't touch your truss rod. The "rattling" could be MANY MANY MANY things. It could be a loose nut on one of the tuners, or controls, a screw in the bridge shaking, your pickups rattling (that's a fun one!), fret buzz, your truss rod nut being loose and shaking... pretty much anywhere on the bass that's metal touching metal could be rattling.

Now, if you describe specifically where/how/when the rattling occurs, I could give you some advice to isolate the problem.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 25, 2009,
well it seems to be on the higher frets. Mostly on the big E starting at the third fret. Sorry i didnt get back sooner i was busy.
I also wanted to ask if it could just be because its new and i am not used to it or something like that?
Last edited by Nucci009 at Feb 25, 2009,
Do you notice it through an amplifier?

Also, does the rattle sound reduce if you play lighter?
are you playing with a pick?
im playing with my fingers and if i play lighter its not noticeable as much.
Quote by Nucci009
im playing with my fingers and if i play lighter its not noticeable as much.

Just sounds like fret buzz to me. It is normal to have a little whilst playing, it usually isn't noticeable through an amplifier (unless there's a lot of it)

When I was new to bass and guitars any little buzz used to freak me out until I realised that it wasn't a fault with the instrument, it was meant to be there and could be reduced by changing technique.

Best ways to reduce it are to play with a lighter touch, to play closer to the bridge and to raise the height (action) of your strings (though I would only do this if you are getting a large amount of buzz). There should be information about changing your action in the FAQ I think.
ok, your 4th fret is probably sitting a little high. If you take it into a guitar tech (not guitar center), they can level and crown it for you. You could also give your truss rod a 1/16-1/8 of a turn counter-clockwise to let your neck bow a little bit more and it may clear the fret no problem.