Hey guys,

I got a new guitar neck (fender stratocaster) and I sanded it, made it a thin U type neck.
Then an Idea ran across my mind, what if I sanded my fretboard (very carefully) just to remove the finish, put vinyl inlays onto my fretboard, and re-stained it. Would the vinyl become permanent, and resistant to what I think would be vulnerable to bends and peel off?

Just send me some ideas of what you think could work.
Thanks guys.
I think you mean re-lacquered it? I feel stain wouldn't do much more than make the inlays a funny color but hey Ive been wrong before.
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
lol, well either way. Re-stain or re-lacquer it, will it make the vinyls more resistant, if not (hopefully) permanent?
I think one more thing i am not sure about is if it will melt the vinyl... I dont think it will but its one precaution to take

But yes it will make them more resistant
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Staining will just change the color, and probably wont have the desired effect you want.
you must mean to clear coat it... I dont see why its not possible. Get a spray bomb of nitro, tape off the rest of your guitar and spray 3 or four coats. After 3-4 days of curing, wetsand to a gloss and sand off the nitro from your frets.
Also I would recommend your first 2 coats to be VERY fine - too much uncured nitro could liquidate your vynal, possibly.
^Since by staining he meant clearcoating, I'm guessing inlays means stickers... It's not the first time someone's come in here and done that. Heck, it's not even the hundredth.
What fretboard wood is it?

Staining and lacquering are two very different things, dont get them confused.

A vinyl sticker is not an inlay.

If its a maple fretboard you can sand the finish down to the bare wood (you'll have to remove the frets and get a radius block to keep the fretboard the right size) and then apply your stickers and then lacquer over them.

The lacquer will seal the vinyl in and they will not wear off as long as you build up the finish over them.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
What fretboard wood is it?

Staining and lacquering are two very different things, dont get them confused.

A vinyl sticker is not an inlay.

If its a maple fretboard you can sand the finish down to the bare wood (you'll have to remove the frets and get a radius block to keep the fretboard the right size) and then apply your stickers and then lacquer over them.

The lacquer will seal the vinyl in and they will not wear off as long as you build up the finish over them.

^^^^
Exactly what he said.