Ok, idk how to put this any simpler than this.

I want to learn the notes on the fretboard, as in be able to play for example F#. Maybe a better way of saying this is like how a pianist could play any key (and so could I) and know the note.

Thing is, the guitar has no indicators like the black notes as to what note you're playing and I want to be able to recognize all the notes on the fretboard.

If anybody is wondering why I want to do this, I want to be able to play from sheet music.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

you could memorize octaves for exmaple the 12th fret will always be the same as the open string

or in a power chord the order is unison fifth and octave play around with that and you'll figure out where to get most of the notes.
Quote by Misticalz
Ok, idk how to put this any simpler than this.

I want to learn the notes on the fretboard, as in be able to play for example F#. Maybe a better way of saying this is like how a pianist could play any key (and so could I) and know the note.

Thing is, the guitar has no indicators like the black notes as to what note you're playing and I want to be able to recognize all the notes on the fretboard.

If anybody is wondering why I want to do this, I want to be able to play from sheet music.

well some guitars have a little dot on the top the fret board at the 3rd, 5th , 7th , 12th, 15, 17, 19, 21... or a little dot on the fret.... if you want u can use masking tape and a marker ... until u get used to it...
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
You could use Satriani's method:

Learn the basic structure of your fretboard. Where the C Scale would start, or where A,B,C,D,E,F,G are.

After that, pick a completely random note and try think of what it is. It may go slow at first. But after practicing that for a long time, you should know youre fretboard pretty well.

Good Luck, even i'm still working on perfecting my fretboard knowledge.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
You could use Satriani's method:

Learn the basic structure of your fretboard. Where the C Scale would start, or where A,B,C,D,E,F,G are.

After that, pick a completely random note and try think of what it is. It may go slow at first. But after practicing that for a long time, you should know youre fretboard pretty well.

Good Luck, even i'm still working on perfecting my fretboard knowledge.

Haha that's what I've been doing, never knew it's what Satriani did works pretty well
K, I think I'll try that C Major scale method and the dotted notes. I also already know that the 12th fret is always the same as the open strings.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag