I was looking around at amps in my price range... and I came accross the B-52 AT-112. Now Im a college student, so I cant afford too much, Ill be selling my spider to contribute money towards this, I can go to $400, not much more beyond that at all. I may or may not be gigging, as I am in a band right now. I play Metal and various melodolic genres. Needs to have a good rhythm sound (heavy), and great leads (Both screaming like lots of metal tones, and vai like smooth leads). I must also have good cleans. So far, I see the B-52, and it seems to have those qualities from what I hear. I cant try before I buy because aparantly the only place in Canada that stocks them, is in Quebec and Im from Toronto.

Is there anything else I should be looking at for under $400? Preferably tube.

tl;dr version:
I need a metal amp thats heavy enough for rhythm. Screams for leads when I want it to. And sings for leads when I want it to. Good cleans. Possibly gigging. Preferably tube. Under $400 as I could PROBABLY get $350 for my spider..
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
B-52 are very nice amps. If you're looking for Chugging, you may want a different amp though. While it does have a nice low end, it can't do the "chugging" that alot of Metal amps do. It is a very versatile amp though and it should fill all your needs for Metal. There are plenty of demos up on Youtube since you can't play before you buy.

EDIT: Here's a video. It's a 12 year old kid demoing it, but it should give you an idea.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9KtD2JhO4
Oh and also, alot of the feedback he's getting is due to being too close to the amp. It normally isnt that bad.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
Last edited by Born A Fool at Feb 25, 2009,
Awesome, I see that you have one. Could you recommend something else too? And Im a Lead player first, rhythm second, so my main task is to find a good lead amp first.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Haha. Sorry to say I'm more of a rhythm player. I'm actually looking to downsize to a smaller amp. Honestly though, at the price range the B-52 is probably your best bet.
Although if I remember any amps I know about, I'll be sure to post here or on your profile.
As my one of my old guitar teachers used to say, "Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats."
id probably say the b52 as well, good value
does your area have a craigslist?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Rhythm for what genre?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
We have craigslist, but it wasnt listed.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
well you could check...uhhh....damn i am drawin a blank lol. hold on
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I play rhythm for metal and rock. I could possibly get a clip for you.
Wow... Ebay is REDICULOUSLY expensive on this amp... $650... I was hoping to snag it for near Musicians friend prices, because Long and McQuade/Steves sells about that price... Any more suggestions? $400 Limit still.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by Born A Fool
I play rhythm for metal and rock. I could possibly get a clip for you.

Thanks Can you get a REALLY heavy sounding one? Dont overkill on gain please XD

PS: No midscoop either...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
could you possibly save more?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Im kind of in College you see.. and I wouldnt properly be able to justify spending money on something that would do just the opposite of benefitting my Schooling education XD. Plus, money is pretty tight for me right now... (And the only reason I HAVE the POSSIBLE $400 is because Ill be selling my spider)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
Thanks Can you get a REALLY heavy sounding one? Dont overkill on gain please XD

PS: No midscoop either...

Haha no problem. Give me an idea of what sort of settings you'd like. And no worries. My mids dont go below 4. And gain is normally around 6 or 7.
yeah i know how it is. i am in college as well, broke as hell. i really cannot think of good amps....traynor is a canadian brand. have you checked those out?
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Born A Fool
Haha no problem. Give me an idea of what sort of settings you'd like. And no worries. My mids dont go below 4. And gain is normally around 6 or 7.

I usually like high mids and treble, more mids though. Can you also switch between neck pickup and bridge? With the tone rolled down about a quarter?

By the way, what pickups do you have?

Quote by Holy-Diver
yeah i know how it is. i am in college as well, broke as hell. i really cannot think of good amps....traynor is a canadian brand. have you checked those out?

Never really checked them out. Anything specific I should see?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
i dont really know much about traynors. from what i understand, they are qua;ity and can be had for good prices in canada
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
K, thanks.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
I usually like high mids and treble, more mids though. Can you also switch between neck pickup and bridge? With the tone rolled down about a quarter?

By the way, what pickups do you have?

Then I may use the Randy Rhoads setting from the forums. Bass 7, Mid 7, Treble 10. Or something along those lines.
Tone rolled down on both Bridge and Neck?

I can use an ESP with EMGs, a Jackson with I believe JBs, or a Rickenbacker with the Stock pickups. Could also possibly get hold of a Michael Kelly my friend is borrowing that I believe has something along the lines of Alinco's in.
I may also be selling my B-52 here soon for around $450. If that happens before you buy yours I may be able to put it on Craigslist or Ebay for you. The 212 sounds just a tad bit nicer in my opinion.
Quote by Born A Fool
Then I may use the Randy Rhoads setting from the forums. Bass 7, Mid 7, Treble 10. Or something along those lines.
Tone rolled down on both Bridge and Neck?

I can use an ESP with EMGs, a Jackson with I believe JBs, or a Rickenbacker with the Stock pickups. Could also possibly get hold of a Michael Kelly my friend is borrowing that I believe has something along the lines of Alinco's in.
I may also be selling my B-52 here soon for around $450. If that happens before you buy yours I may be able to put it on Craigslist or Ebay for you. The 212 sounds just a tad bit nicer in my opinion.

Where do you live? $450 is out of my budget though...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
I live in Northern Kentucky. I could probably lower the price. Could also check shipping costs. If its not too bad I could sell it for around $390. Anyways, I'll attempt to get some recordings up. If it's sloppy, I apologize. I'll be playing with a swollen, broken finger.
Lol, Thanks, but after conversion from CND to USD, shipping and handling, and such the price would skyrocket...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Well then I'll just worry about the clips
lol, sorry
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Its all good. No worries.
Feel free to go through the "Newer Ultimate Settings thread" and post anything you'd like me to try.
ask about traynor too. i have been researching, sound pretty good. idk how much they go for though
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Traynors won't give good "chugga chugga". They're more classic and hard rock amps.

There's a Line 6 Flextone on Craigslist for $500, you might want to check it out: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1049114453.html
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
$500 is still out of my price range sadly, remember I have books to buy which are hundreds of dollars (one book itself is $200...). But thanks for the assistance..
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by Holy-Diver
this. offer 400 for it

'lowballers will be ignored.'

But the issue is I dont have the money yet. I can try anyways I guess..
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Quote by KiraIBZ
'lowballers will be ignored.'

But the issue is I dont have the money yet. I can try anyways I guess..

Talk to the seller, be nice, get him to like you and want you to have the amp. He may not go $400, but he could budge a little. Do not waste his time though, that will backfire on you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i wouldnt say that is lowballing. i mean, you can still call him up and tell him your situation, ask him some questions. it is definitely worth a shot at least
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION