I'm interested in playing heavy rock songs that are in the tuning of Drop Bb but my guitar is 'set up' to be in standard tuning. Should I get the guitar re-set up to be able to work with this tuning? I heard that dropping my guitar this low will mess up my intonation (which would only lead me to having it fixed by my same guitar guy who would be doing the setting of the guitar)

Any help would be awesome.

-G
I rock, and therefore, I am.
Unless your gonna be playing Slipknot or something like, dont do it.
Gear:
Guitars/ Basses:
PRS SE singlecut w/Tremolo
Epiphone Sg
Epiphone Thunderbird

Waiting in the wings:
Squier Strat mod
(soon to start)

Amps:
Line 6 Spider JAM
Peavey Max 115 bass amp
your avatar is acoustic stuff.. what are you using drop Bb for?

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by Bassmastajazzyj
Unless your gonna be playing Slipknot or something like, dont do it.

He said he wanted to play music in Bb, so yes that would obviously entail playing "Slipknot or something like."
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by chipmunksurfer

since when does your avatar have anything to do with what a person wants to play?

anyways, you may need to adjust your truss rod if you see problems with the neck and weird string tension. and especially if you have a significant string gauge change (which you will need if you are playing lights right now).
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
If you're going to do it, I recommend you get some thicker strings, at least 11's, maybe 12's or 13's depending on what kind of tension you're used to.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I'm playing music like Red, Breaking Benjamin, Decyfer Down... I've been an acoustic guitar player and I'm just now getting into the electric so that's where my questions are coming from.
I rock, and therefore, I am.
heres wat you do: Buy a bass and tune up >_>

Tuning down dosent make the music heavier or meaner, it just makes it low and muddy. Bands like Slayer and Lamb of God never tune down farther than D and they're heavy as ****. In my opinion, tuning lower than C is just a waste of time
Having the tension reset is a good thing to do, especially once you alter your string gauges to better take the lower tuning. I recommend using a set of 12's.
Quote by travd92
since when does your avatar have anything to do with what a person wants to play?

anyways, you may need to adjust your truss rod if you see problems with the neck and weird string tension. and especially if you have a significant string gauge change (which you will need if you are playing lights right now).

why's your TS in your fx loop?
Quote by conkersbfd182
heres wat you do: Buy a bass and tune up >_>

Tuning down dosent make the music heavier or meaner, it just makes it low and muddy. Bands like Slayer and Lamb of God never tune down farther than D and they're heavy as ****. In my opinion, tuning lower than C is just a waste of time

too bad the entire god hates us all album is in C# standard, brotha.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by tona_107
why's your TS in your fx loop?

haha i get that question all the time...i don't use it the way it's suppose to be used, and i'm doing it on purpose. i get some cool sounds with it when the delay is on and with the wah.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by travd92
haha i get that question all the time...i don't use it the way it's suppose to be used, and i'm doing it on purpose. i get some cool sounds with it when the delay is on and with the wah.

Hm, I bet...neato dude.

You should get some soundclips up I`d like to creep `em.
Last edited by tona_107 at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by tona_107
Hm, I bet...neato dude.

You should get some soundclips up I`d like to creep `em.

alright! i just gotta gets the microphone ha. but in words basically it sounds like the mids are cranked, the treble is subtle, and the bass is at -17. and its really static. kinda like an old radio broadcast? its odd but unique.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Zendrive

Quote by travd92
alright! i just gotta gets the microphone ha. but in words basically it sounds like the mids are cranked, the treble is subtle, and the bass is at -17. and its really static. kinda like an old radio broadcast? its odd but unique.

that's neato man i know exactly what you mean.

you could always just use a webcam or computer mic. it's obviously shit quality but it's better than nothing if you wanna record but aren't ready to dip into your wallet for a shure or something kewl like that.
Quote by travd92
too bad the entire god hates us all album is in C# standard, brotha.

To be more accurate, a few of the songs I.E. - Here Comes The Pain, Warzone, and I think Payback, are in Bb.

On topic though: I use the 13-56 set for drop Bb on both of my guitars with no issues, although I'd recommend a setup.
Quote by BassisticT
My Ex firlfriend once shaved my butthair... A day later my butt looked like Freddy Krugers Face >.< Couldn't sit comfortable for like 4 Days.

Quote by Sir-Shredalot

Not sure what is worse the fact they watched a bbc drama series or they downed ethenol
Quote by chipmunksurfer

Downtuning acoustics is even cooler than doing it with electric. You get such nice, rich tones. My acoustic is almost never above D standard.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.