On this problem, I need to simplify this:

(10x^3y^5)^-3

I've got this so far: 10x^-9y^-15.

How do I get rid of the negative exponents 9 and 15?
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
Remember.. x^-1 = 1/x

So 10x^-9y^-15 is = 1/(10x^9y^15)
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Kill your friend, kill your friend's girlfriend, then kill the person she's cheating on him with. Then rape all three of them, then kill yourself, then rape yourself.

Member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club
Why didn't you do anything to the 10x?

Edit: this problem doesn't make sense... How do you put an exponent on an exponent? Or does the "^" mean something else?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Last edited by merfsullivan at Feb 25, 2009,
No no no no. You are supposed to expand the exponents. Example -> (x-2)^3 = (x-3)(x-3)(x-3) and NOT (x^3-8)

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
what does ^ mean?

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Exponent.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Exponent.

What does exponent mean?

Like I'm good at maths but I don't know how you guys write it on here?

Quote by Våd Hamster

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
If you don't know what an exponent is, then I seriously doubt your math skills.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I might nkow what it is but not using that word

Quote by Våd Hamster

Distribute the ^ -3 to the 10, x, and y. so you get 1/(10^3x^9y^15),like someone already showed the negative exponent can be taken as the reciprocal of any given exponent and the 10 is inside the quantity so it also gets raised to -3
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
-Frank Zappa
Last edited by rcbass at Feb 25, 2009,
In other words x^3 is x to the power of three/third degree/cubed.
EDIT: rcbass - that is wrong. Expand the terms, not just multiply out the exponents.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Okay - I give up. This is what happens when you ask UG for math help.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Okay - I give up. This is what happens when you ask UG for math help.

Well, rcbass is right, anyway.