im startin to get into shred and neoclassical like ynigwie malmsteen hes like my new favorite guitarists now and i want to be able to do things at least close to that but i dont know where to start can anybody help?
P.S. this is what the alphabet would look like without the letters Q and R
Learn your basics first. Learn your theory. Learn to play melodically first. Then, and only then, can you learn to shred. In my opinion the fundamentals are indisputably necessary.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
He's your favorite guitar player, yet you spelled his name wrong. It's Yngwie Malmsteen not Ynigwie. Anyway, put yourself just playing a solo you can play on your profile so we know what you can do and we'll suggest some stuff to start with
Quote by food1010
Learn your basics first. Learn your theory. Learn to play melodically first. Then, and only then, can you learn to shred. In my opinion the fundamentals are indisputably necessary.

but how do we know he doesnt no his basics?
DO you know your basics? how long have you been playing for?
ive been playing for 2 years i think i can play war pigs seek and destroy and sad but true all the way through made up some fairly good solos to go with them anything else i know i dont know all the way through but i play pretty good liket master of puppet crazy train i can play all the mario themes very fast lol the intro for hot for teacher and just all kinds of main riffs to most songs very good and thats where im stuck
Quote by The Jake
ive been playing for 2 years i think i can play war pigs seek and destroy and sad but true all the way through made up some fairly good solos to go with them anything else i know i dont know all the way through but i play pretty good liket master of puppet crazy train i can play all the mario themes very fast lol the intro for hot for teacher and just all kinds of main riffs to most songs very good and thats where im stuck

what scales do you know?
i know where each note in e minor and d minor r in standard tuning
You have a looooooong way to go.

Learn the intervals of each scale, or for Malmsteen, primarily harmonic minor.

Learn to feel your way around a scale in any key, enough practice and you will visualise the intervals over all strings, not just one.

Shred is pretty much the ability to play melodically, fast, in any given key. So learn your modes, which chords they fit over, the intervals that constitute them, then apply that to your playing.

Learning songs is a good way to improve aspects of technique. Theory is the only real way to learn to 'shred'.

Also remember, if speed causes you to lose clarity, feel and expression, then slow it down. No sense in playing fast just to show off. Playing fast looks a little silly if you're rigid and your face is contorted with concentration. You literally need to be able to feel the music, as stupid as that sounds.
Last edited by ljohn at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by ljohn
You got a looooooong way to go.

Learn the intervals of each scale, or for Malmsteen, primarily harmonic minor.

Learn to feel your way around a scale in any key, enough practice and you will visualise the intervals over all strings, not just one.

Shred is pretty much the ability to play melodically, fast, in any given key. So learn your modes, which chords they fit over, the intervals that constitute them, then apply that to your playing.

Learning songs is a good way to improve aspects of technique. Theory is the only real way to learn to 'shred'.

Also remember, if speed makes you lose clarity, feel and expression, then slow it down. No sense in playing fast just to show off. Playing fast looks a little silly if you're rigid and your face is contorted with concentration. You literally need to be able to feel the music, as stupid as that sounds.

ya no it doesnt sond stupid so what ur sayin is i should learn all the scales? like would that b a goood place to start?
You should watch Yngwie's lessons on youtube and judge for yourself if you can learn it or where your weak spots are.

If you feel like everything he plays is impossible you might want to take smaller steps. If you can get metallica stuff down, you might find Megadeth a little more difficult. If you have a few solid megadeth songs down, "Tornado of Souls", "Hangar 18", Sleepwalker, and a ton of others...

If you can handle megadeth well, Yngwie shouldn't be too difficult. That being said, it's not that being able to play stuff by a musician will make you better, it's the techniques within songs. When it comes to shred guys and what they do, there are specific techniques which you need to have down well.

Alternate Picking (1,2,3,4+ note per string picking, string skipping, large intervals)
Legato (arpeggios, tapping, scalar runs)
Sweep Picking
Bending
Hammer ons and pulloffs
and all the other goodies
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
You should watch Yngwie's lessons on youtube and judge for yourself if you can learn it or where your weak spots are.

If you feel like everything he plays is impossible you might want to take smaller steps. If you can get metallica stuff down, you might find Megadeth a little more difficult. If you have a few solid megadeth songs down, "Tornado of Souls", "Hangar 18", Sleepwalker, and a ton of others...

If you can handle megadeth well, Yngwie shouldn't be too difficult. That being said, it's not that being able to play stuff by a musician will make you better, it's the techniques within songs. When it comes to shred guys and what they do, there are specific techniques which you need to have down well.

Alternate Picking (1,2,3,4+ note per string picking, string skipping, large intervals)
Legato (arpeggios, tapping, scalar runs)
Sweep Picking
Bending
Hammer ons and pulloffs
and all the other goodies

what r scalar runs?
When you ascend or descend a scale.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
When you ascend or descend a scale.

so like e f# g a b c d e? thats easy
first, speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

second, harmonic minor is a neo-classical guitarists friend.

third, get a good technique before "shredding", better technique means better results.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...