Ok, so when I play standing up my wrist feels really strained. Now, I dont wear my guitar INCREDIBLY low, but I keep it to where the high e string is right on my waste. I dont really want to raise the guitar, because im kinda chubby, and it looks bad with the guitar resting on my stomach, so i was wondering is there any way to adapt my wrist to be able to play like this. I can hit all the strings, its just a slight pain that is holding me back
whatever is making it hurt...STOP DOING IT, it could lead to serious problems causing you great pain and change your guitar playing forever, ect. Raise the guitar, if your chubby than work out, and do you gig? if you dont gig then it doesnt even matter
play with the guitar on your side??

i like that stance, it gives me chills sometimes looking in the mirror
be sure to tilt ur guitar up so the neck is like a 40 degree angle from ur body. it sounds that if ur high e is to ur waist, its perpendicular (hopefully u kno ur geometry, if not, hit me up) it is about looks but u dont wana hurt anything. safety first. be sure ur thumb is right underneath ur hand position (when first starting to stand up, such things could be forgotten). hopefully this helped, if not, sorry for waisting ur time :P
warm up before you play.

stretch, work out with a rubber ball and rubber bands. pull and squeeze to build hand strength.

ice after playing.
sleep with a wrist brace, they sell them OTC at pharmacy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
u could always just cut off ur arm so u dont have a wrist to get sore... i hear that works well. but seriously try all the stuff people here have said and if that doesnt work just sit more when u play there r plenty of artists that do that.
In addition to everything else suggested, it could also be that your guitar's neck is not suitable for your hands and/or you are holding the neck incorrectly. In the experience of myself and my friends this has been the main cause of wrist pains. One of my friends actually developed severe RSI in his left wrist because the neck of his guitar was too thin for his hands and now not only can he not play guitar but he has limited use of his left hand entirely, so yes, this can be very serious.

If the neck on your guitar is too thick then of course it's hard for you to get your fingers around the neck. You end up over stretching your wrist further forward than it should be just to fret strings. If it's just the back of your wrist that is hurting, this could be the reason why.
On the other hand (pun not intended), if the neck is too thin I won't support your hand properly. Your wrist and palm end up strained to keep in proper position. If it's the inside of your wrist that hurts or if any part of your palm and thumb hurt, this could be the reason why.

Wide fretboards can also be a problem for smaller hands, though that is more a problem for the fingers and shouldn't be causing much pain in your wrist itself.

Perhaps try out some guitars that are different brands to your current one, to test different necks and see what's most comfortable for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I really doubt the neck has anything to do with his problems, as others have said just move your guitar up. Your pain is no doubt being caused when your wrist is bent upwards to reach the frets. In a "proper" form, your wrist should stay dead straight and your top of your hand should be parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the neck. To reach the higher strings (or thicker), you should drop your elbow/shoulder instead of doing what 95% of people do which is bend their wrist drastically. Go watch some videos of Eric Johnson on Youtube, his form is flawless and you won't see his wrist bending ridiculously. Guys like Slash who hang their guitar below their balls are probably going to end up with wrist problems when they are older.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Guys like Slash who hang their guitar below their balls are probably going to end up with wrist problems when they are older.
Considering Slash has been playing for several decades and is middle aged now, I don't think he really needs to be worried about getting 'problems when he's older'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
+1 on raising the guitar and angle the playing position...it's cooler to be able to play comfortably and fast up and down the neck then to look cool hanging it low and not be able to play at all...
Ditch the Ibanez. (Just a shot in the dark...)

Solved my problem, picked up a strat and havent looked back. Granted, I would say I do have bigger hands than most (Though, not ginormous).
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.