Whey-hey, I managed to end up with one off ebay!

Got my money back though, but I'm stuck with a dodgy mic that I cannot sell - though looking at ebay some people have blatantly been ripped off and are now passing them on as used or faulty

It looks really good mind you, and they have obviously made a really good job apart from the fact that it didn't work.

Thing is, I'm just wondering if I can either bung a proper R59/SM58 cart in there (and will it fit) or break it for spares (scratching off anything that says 'Shure' on it).

Apparently when compared to a legit one (I havent seen a real one for about 12 years) they are slightly smaller and lighter

The diameter of the cart at the bottom end (before the thread) is 27mm, the top is 30.5mm. It weighs just over 400grams - I'm not likely to get the chance to go to a shop and compare for quite a few months (and knowing the local shops, they probably have been duped as well), so I was wondering if anyone was bored enough to take measurements and compare??

If a real cart will go in there with no problems then I'm a happy chappie, cos I know where I can get one for just under £50 which isnt bad...

If anyone asks, I can put pics up of the little bugger so that you can all see just how damn enterprising these fakesters can be......

And seeing as I'm posting this in the pit....

TL;DR Why is it that as a hetro male I find microphones really sexy and love playing with them. When bored I often get them all out and look at them - should I seek medical advice or finally come out as gay?
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Was there anything inside the mic, as far as electronics go? I'm just wondering how much of a profit they could possibly be making by constructing near-perfect replicas.
really i would love for someone to give me the measurements and weight of their legit shure SM58 so i can work out what to do with my fake one....

On the other hand, I thought i'd voice my concern over my own weird lust for microphones and see if anyone else has something similar.....?

Right now I think I'd rather have a high end vocal mike over a Gibson '59 VOS - wtf is that all about???

Edit: I cant sing and seldom record any vocals!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Last edited by cuthbertg at Feb 25, 2009,
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
Was there anything inside the mic, as far as electronics go? I'm just wondering how much of a profit they could possibly be making by constructing near-perfect replicas.

I dunno, it all looks fine - I'm wondering if they may even be legit parts nicked from the factory and badly soldered together - the canon had some glued up tissue paper to keep the crap soldering in place!
Quote by Dwight Schrute
Question : Have you lost your anal virginity to one of your microphones?

Not yet, but it's 3 am - I'm wired and up for anything (almost)
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Well my dad has one but I'm about to go to bed for school so....

mic teaser....