So I have a Regal RC-2 Steel Body Resonator(http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/RRC2.htm), last summer my friend ran over it with his car. It was in it's hard case so luckily there was no damage to the body, but the head was cracked along the back underneath the bottom two tuning pegs(which is strange because the wheel went over the body of the guitar and never got close to the head).

I fixed it by filling the crack with wood glue and clamping it over night. It seemed to work very well, you could barely see the crack and it stayed in tune like it was new.

Recently the crack reopened, while i was in florida. I think the heat weakened the glue and the tension of the strings finished the job.

Anyways, my question is does anyone have any suggestions for a more permanent solution? I was considering attaching a metal brace after re-gluing the head.
Last edited by revelator at Feb 25, 2009,
What kind of glue did you use...? Titebond should give you a rock solid joint that's even stronger than the wood itself.
I would like to see some pictures of the actual guitar, and maybe hear some more of the story as to why your friend ran over your guitar.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
I would like to see some pictures of the actual guitar, and maybe hear some more of the story as to why your friend ran over your guitar.

He didn't run it over on pupose, I was unloading my car and set the guitar down on the ground in the driveway. He came out and backed out of the driveway without looking or saying anything to me. He obviously didn't notice I had emptied the contents of my car into the driveway.

Here are some photos of my guitar afterwards.

Don't put any kind of bars or anything in the headstock!!!

What you need to do is finish breaking the headstock all the way off, then you have to soften the old wood glue which means get a damp sponge and get the old joint a little wet, let is sit for a few minutes, then damp it down again. Let it dry out again for a half hr or so and then it's time to apply more glue. Use original titebond (not 2 or 3) and apply it to both peices of the headstock (even though the instructions say to only put it on one side) then you need to let it sit for about a minute to resoften the old glue and soak into the wood. After that push the pieces together and clamp it. You can either wipe the extra glue off with a damp rag after you put the clamps on or you can wait until it starts set and gets that leathery skin over it then remove the clamps and carefully cut the glue off with a razior before putting the clamps back on.

The glue joit will be more than enough to hold the headstock. Typically when joints like this fail it's because they joint wasn't clamped, or it was clamped too tight.
Not taking any online orders.