I did put this in the pit hoping for a quick answer whilst doing some online shopping, but alas they all thought I was troll and the thread got closed, but I could still do with answers sooo.....

Short story - I was duped into buying a fake shure SM58 off ebay

Got my money back though, but I'm stuck with a dodgy mic that I cannot sell - though looking at ebay some people have blatantly been ripped off and are now passing them on as used or faulty

It looks really good mind you, and they have obviously made a really good job apart from the fact that it didn't work.

Thing is, I'm just wondering if I can either bung a proper R59/SM58 cart in there (and will it fit) or break it for spares (scratching off anything that says 'Shure' on it).

Apparently when compared to a legit one (I havent seen a real one for about 12 years) they are slightly smaller and lighter

The diameter of the cart at the bottom end (before the thread) is 27mm, the top is 30.5mm. It weighs just over 400grams - I'm not likely to get the chance to go to a shop and compare for quite a few months (and knowing the local shops, they probably have been duped as well), so I was wondering if anyone was bored enough to take measurements and compare??

If a real cart will go in there with no problems then I'm a happy chappie and i'll keep it.

Many Thanks for any help,
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
im surprised you have gone through this much trouble for a fantastic microphone that retails for $100 brand new. if you got your money back then you should walk down to the local music shop and buy a real one.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Quote by dudebud
im surprised you have gone through this much trouble for a fantastic microphone that retails for $100 brand new. if you got your money back then you should walk down to the local music shop and buy a real one.

I have to agree with this guy. eBay is just kind of bad news, in my opinion.
It does work, it's just very badly soldered and cuts out if you move it...and to be honest the quality didn't make me jump to my feet and declare 'no way is that a real SM58' - it actually sounded okay, comparable to an old 58 clone I have

To the ebay nay-sayers:

Well i kitted out my enitre studio and modded my les paul all thru ebay and managed to trade all of my money back by selling tat and upgradidng bit by bit - and I fix pc's for a living - this is the one item that has caused hassle, so I disagree with you both and I have a kick ass setup to show for it!

However, I am a LOT more careful when buying shure mics now

it cost me £39, which I have now got back because it's a fake

A new one will cost £115 from my nearest shop (some 40 miles away), I should be able to get a replacemnt cart (assuming of course that the cart i have is actually fake) for around £50, so, the reason I am asking these questions is to find out whether I already have a legit, yet badly put together SM58 for free, or If i have to pay £50 for one.

Either way, it was worth it.

If a legit cart doesn't fit, then I have a free paperweight and made some UG'ers aware that ebay does appear to be swamped with fake SM57's and SM58's.......
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Just thought I'd add some pics.....

If you read the 'how to spot a fake' articles on the web they all mention a sticker on the cart and the lack of the shure logo or pin out numbers on the connector -

Mine didn't have the offending sticker, and did have the Shure logo and numbers on the connector

I've now measured it against the specs in the SM58 manual on the shure website and it seems to be the right size etc

connecting wires should be green and yellow, not red and black

So with a bit of investigation, it does at least look like i can put a legit cart in it, which is nice

Just be wary - the only giveaway was that it was faulty and I had to open it and saw the wires, it's worth checking if you are buying from ebay what colour the wires are before you bid, though i would imagine the fakesters will manage to get their hands on green and yellow wires soon.

The biggest giveaway (stupidly missed at the time) was that it was sold as new at approx half the retail price. It sounded too good to be true........and it was.

Oh well, on the bright side I got a full mic with box bag and clip for the price of a replacement cart
£115 for a 58 in your nearest shop? What a rip... why don't you just get one for about £60 from a legit site like GAK?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
£115 for a 58 in your nearest shop? What a rip... why don't you just get one for about £60 from a legit site like GAK?

Mmm, didn't know they had them that cheap..........cheers! besides my money for kit is always tucked away in my paypal account so the missus cant get her hands on it!

My local shops are crap, that's the cost to order one in, nobody local carries stock on anything other than squire or JHS (they wont even stock Epiphone anymore and I'm gagging to try a valve juniour out)- the best bet is to drive to Birmingham but that's a pain

I've always REALLLY hated going into guitar shops - I have never enjoyed buying a guitar from a guitar shop So I'm glad the internet revolution has taken place since I last had to buy kit (1997, Epi LP and Marshall JTM60 from Birmingham)

That's why when I do go to one, I know what I want before I walk in the door and i'm out again with only offering the following conversation to the assistant "Just this please" and "thank you"