i need a budget friendly mic for recording i am very nu to recording but i think its time to start keeping a journal of things i write... i need it to be very versatile for recording instruments mainly (guitar, sax, piano[acoustic] etc...) and some vocals (i am a HORRID vocalist but if i bring a friend over i want him/her to be able to sing with me) just 1 for now i guess i could go as much as 100 bucks but i would really rather not go far passed 50.

another question would i be able to use a mic like this for rough recordings of drums?...

dunno if this is the place for this seems to be right tho... GG&A is specific to guitar gear so here it is

ty for any help thanks :]
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
you should pick up an SM58.

it is certainly not the best for all of those applications but it is the industry standard for live vocals, guitar amp recording and even drums.

if all you have is $100 then this is, realistically, your only good option.

when recording guitar amps make sure you unscrew the pop filter.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
as for drums, you are going to get junk recordings using only one mic. if you had 3 more sm57's (identical to an sm 58 but without the pop filter) and some condensers, you would be closer to being able to capture decent drum sounds.

just be aware that your recordings will never be very good with only one mic. ever.

if you can stretch the budget you should buy a large diaphragm condenser for vocals and acoustic guitars.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
what does and donts do i need to know about mics cause im clueless i dont wanna play a few notes through my amp and just wtf ruin my nu gear.

what about something like this
http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-U37-USB-Condenser-Microphone-104926357-i1399956.gc

i really dont know what to look for and the sm58 seems to be more of a stage mic then a versatile recording mic ... lil bit expensive to... (i will get better stuffs eventually but i just want to get a journal of stuff i write for now i have friends with good recording gear)
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

Well, for a start, your budget is outrageous... This gear costs a lot, even at entry level, and you'll really struggle to get some to record all those instruments for that budget. I would recommend you go with a USB condenser mic, which has an interface built in (this will save money as you won't have to buy an external interface ; read the FAQ).

Something like the Samson USB options, or the Blue USB Snowball.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
Well, for a start, your budget is outrageous... This gear costs a lot, even at entry level, and you'll really struggle to get some to record all those instruments for that budget. I would recommend you go with a USB condenser mic, which has an interface built in (this will save money as you won't have to buy an external interface ; read the FAQ).

Something like the Samson USB options, or the Blue USB Snowball.

ill get/borrow better stuff later when i want to start recording songs n such this is just to start a journal of all the riffs i write. Ty for the input tho.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2