... Except for a couple. Recommend me a new amp. I was thinking either a scratch and dent Engl Screamer 50, a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL combo, or a Carvin Legacy 212 combo. I'm looking for a metal/shred tone, something reminiscent of John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, or Yngwie Malmsteen.
i'm not a big fan of the DSL. if you're only going new, i'd say shoot for the carvin. i love that lead tone.
The screamer will give you all you want, and even more if you throw a good O/D in front of it
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by BeethovensBust
something reminiscent of John Petrucci,

Used Mesa Mark IV
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Used Mesa Mark III, or Mark IV combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
$1,100 in cash is goign to get you a lot more deals than offering a trade.

Check out harmony central, most of the Mark III's go for $800. The Mark IV's usually go for a really expensive trade or abotu $1,100 cash.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Oh yeah, you can get a used Splawn Quickrod for about $1,100.

Arguably they are the best amp mentioned in this thread thus far.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Mark IV used all the way for that music style man

EDIT: nvm the quickrod would probably be better
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by MESAexplorer
Oh yeah, you can get a used Splawn Quickrod for about $1,100.

Arguably they are the best amp mentioned in this thread thus far.

when was the Quick Rod mentioned? I was going to bring it up but not for $1,100. Splawn Competition or Pro Stock maybe.

Wait....TS - do you have a cab? *rereads* yeah, he wants a combo

seriously, search on JSX combo in that link. I did it earlier for someone else and there was stuff thar.
There was a quickrod that went for $900 on HC yesterday.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
As you can see, I'm looking for a combo. The Splawn is a bit much for me right now, I'm afraid... plus I would have to buy a cab to go with it.

How much do Mesa Stiletto Aces go for? I love the tone, and would be content with a 1x12 combo of it.
If the Stiletto combo goes for around 1000, that's definitely in my price range. Except I can't find one...
where are you located? my local guitar shop in west chester pa has one, but they only deal marshall, orange, vox and fender amps. no VKs there haha.
I live in Las Vegas.
Here's a short head version of the Mesa Mark IV- http://cgi.ebay.com/mesa-boogie-mark-iv-short-head-version-no-rsrv_W0QQitemZ320344809254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320344809254&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Would the short head differ in tone from the larger heads? I could run the short head through my 1x12 Krank cabinet, I'm thinking.
The short head is 100% identical, they just move a few knobs to the back of the amp. You can rackmount the short head as well.

Your Krank cab will handle the Mark just fine, 120watt handling from the single Legend V12.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Another option is to look into Pedrone amps. He's a Brazilian amp maker who does clones of very expensive amps for much cheaper, like the SLO, Mark IV and others... I think his Mark IV clone runs at about $800 USD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Or I could get a scratch and dent Marshall Vintage Modern 50W head for $1199, but the question is if it will run through my Krank cab.
John Petrucci uses Mesa/Boogies
Paul Gilbert uses Laneys
Yngwie Malmsteen uses NM 50 watt Marshalls

get a blackface fender twin.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
they all have completely different tones, and people seem to focus on what i consider the worst of them all. i suggest getting a jcm 800 non master volume second hand for yngwie malmsteens godly tone.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Jhachey22
John Petrucci uses Mesa/Boogies
Paul Gilbert uses Laneys
Yngwie Malmsteen uses NM 50 watt Marshalls

get a blackface fender twin.

Paul Gilbert uses marshall vintage moderns
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
paul gilbert uses Vintage Modern combos, so one of those would be THE gear he uses, so it would be close.

Yngwie uses old Super Lead Marshalls, but i dont know if they made the old ones in combos.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
So what's the difference between a Mark IV and Mark III? Besides the Mark IV obviously being newer.

And could I run a Marshall Vintage Modern head through my 1x12 cab? I think it would work, I just don't want to blow anything.
What about a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade? They are going for $800 for the 2x12 combo, which normally sells for near $2000.
Quote by sharpant
Paul Gilbert uses marshall vintage moderns

he only recently switched to vintage moderns. he's used Laneys for the majority of his career. so if you want his tone from Racer X, chances are you'd be lookin' for a Laney.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.