What kind of music is a baritone guitar good for? What I want to play involves a lot of drop tuning as far as Drop D and down 2 full steps. I'm eying the PRS Mike Mushok baritone.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Quote by Pac_man0123
Baritones are longer scale, allowing for lower tunings while retaining a reasonable amount of tension on the strings.

By drop D and down 2 steps i assume you mean drop B? It'd work great for that.

ya even be a little too much tension in drop b as they are usually A standard.
Drop D down two steps. Does that make more sense? I am trying to play some Breaking Benjamin songs.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Scales on baritones also vary between makes and models.Some are 26 1/2" while others can be up to 28 5/8" inch scale or longer.You'll have to decide what scale you need for the music you want to play.If you just want to go to drop B then a 28"+ scale might be a bit too big,be sure to try out several scale lengths to see how they perform with the tuning.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Well a baritone is normally tuned to B standard, but there is no reason why you cant tune it up a bit to Drop B, C# standard or just even standard tuning, as long as you get the appropriate string gauges for that particular tuning.

The baritone scale will allow you to get lower without the need for heavier gauge strings, thickening out the tone in the same way. I have heard some good things about the PRS Mike Mushok model, same with the Ibanez variant that was recently discontinued, which i think Breaking benjamin used in their diary of jane video...?

There are many good baritones out there, Agile offer a few nice ones as well as some of the old Epi Les paul bari's. Start working out what kind of scale length you want to aim for and a budget for this guitar.
The thing with baritones, is that you get that really nice bassy sound, it sounds like a a guitar who's balls have dropped so to speak! Really makes your hairs stand up on themselfs
Ben from Breaking Benjamin uses all PRS guitars for his electrics. Aaron uses Ernie Ball Musicmans. I've never seen them with an Ibanez. I don't see any other baritones by PRS, but I am betting all the BB guitars are customs.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40