Poll Options
View poll results: ???
Roland Cube 60 Watt
28 34%
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt
55 66%
Voters: 83.
Page 1 of 2
Which one's better for metal: The Roland Cube 60 Watt or the Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt?
Specifically, Metallica's "...And Justice For All" is the ultimate goal for for heaviness.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
don't know about the 60 watt version, but I've got a cube 15, can get the metallica sound on that pretty spot on.
vyper pwns the cube
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Bump!
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
I would go for the Vypyr. Last week i played on a 15w version of the vypyr and was blown away. For a little more cash, you could get a 60w, tube powered version. I believe it has 2 6L6 tubes in the power section.
I'd say save up if you can and get atleast the 30 watt version. The 60 watt tube version if you want the best vypyr tone.
Quote by hcsn2008
I'd say save up if you can and get atleast the 30 watt version. The 60 watt tube version if you want the best vypyr tone.

+1

The 30w solid state version would be worth the extra features if you can stretch. The 60w hybrid would give you the added benefit of power tube saturation.

Cubes are nice toooooooooooooo
hey guys, you know how theres a thread for the Vypyr, and when people are looking for a good home practise amp, and the common reccomendations are Vypyr or Cube, do you think i should make one for the Roland Cube to help people decide?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
i just went from a old crate 65 watt to the cube 30. i love it. but now i want a louder amp
I checked the sticky, there wasn't a link to a roland thread, did a search, nothing came up either. Do you reckon I should do it?

and Ts, are you the one who's sig was by may that you'd have a peavey vypyr 30watt and a jackson js30wr? If
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

^Splamron - I personally have not seen you around too much but I agree....I didn't find too much when I searched on 'Roland Cubes' or 'Cube amps'.

Take a look at some of the other 'Only xAmp' threads and see if you can create the best one.

For example, Gabe's Mashall thread, the leik Laney thread and the Valveking thread are set up pretty well. Be preparred and 'Reserve posts' for future additions.

Edit: Oh, and be around to make those Edits
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^Splamron - I personally have not seen you around too much but I agree....I didn't find too much when I searched on 'Roland Cubes' or 'Cube amps'.

Take a look at some of the other 'Only xAmp' threads and see if you can create the best one.

For example, Gabe's Mashall thread, the leik Laney thread and the Valveking thread are set up pretty well. Be preparred and 'Reserve posts' for future additions.

yeah I haven't been posting in here that much ever since after christmas. If I make it, it's not going to be one of those "This thread is about the **** amp. Post what you think". Ill try and get it more like the VK or Marshall Thread.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

for metal vypyr is better.

the cleans on the cube arent that much better and thats the only the thing the cube has on the vypyr IMO.

I think any of the SS one should do, and i actually liked the SS versions better than the Hybrid versions for some reason, they just sounded better to me.
Quote by THEKID546
for metal vypyr is better.

the cleans on the cube arent that much better and thats the only the thing the cube has on the vypyr IMO.

I think any of the SS one should do, and i actually liked the SS versions better than the Hybrid versions for some reason, they just sounded better to me.

thats incorrect. Go put the vypyr tube version on the twin model... listen to those cleans. It sounds like the real thing. It's so warm and buttery it sounds beautiful literally.

Theres no clean on the cube that can even come close to that. And honestly the solid state vypyr can't do that because it's the power tubes that's making it so warm. If you liked the solid state version better you must have not been doing something right. The tube version is simply amazing. I've never been impressed with a modeling amp before that amp I had to go out and buy the thing and I thought I'd never buy a modeling amp. It's amazing how realistic the models sound.

The solid state one does sound good. I mean it works but it doesn't sound as realistic as the tube version and if you want good cleans especially you cannot match that tube warmth and tone with any solid state amp.
For a while now I've been toying with the idea of selling my Marshall and getting a Vypyr 75w instead as I play mostly in the home but may play the odd gig. I keep thinking the Marshall is overkill for my home use and I like the idea of an 'all-in-one' solution but then I also like the genuine tube warmth to the tone. The Tube 60 is quite a bit more expensive for what I'd use it for and I'm concerned that at home volumes the tubes wouldn't be powered enough to make any real difference over the 75w version. Any opinions from those who have tried both?
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
For a while now I've been toying with the idea of selling my Marshall and getting a Vypyr 75w instead as I play mostly in the home but may play the odd gig. I keep thinking the Marshall is overkill for my home use and I like the idea of an 'all-in-one' solution but then I also like the genuine tube warmth to the tone. The Tube 60 is quite a bit more expensive for what I'd use it for and I'm concerned that at home volumes the tubes wouldn't be powered enough to make any real difference over the 75w version. Any opinions from those who have tried both?

I tried both for a long time before I bought the 60 watt tube. As I've said on here before they've worked out a good system with the tube version. You can play this amp at low volume and it sounds great. It has a post gain and master volume control where as most amps only have one. So you can actually turn up your post gain and keep your master down to play quiet and still sound great. Or you can turn your master all the way up and use your post gain as volume to play really loud. The tube version just sounds so much better. If you play both you'll end up walking out with the tube version. I haven't been that impressed with an amp in a long time honestly. Believe it or not I haven't even touched my 6505 since I got the vypyr. I was so sick of playing that 6505 in the bedroom. It had to be turned up to sound like I wanted it and it was a one trick pony. The vypyr sounds exactly like the thing on the tube version and I can get it at low volume and have all the rack effects and stompboxes too. The noise gate works well too. Some people complain about it but I find it is awesome. So with the vypyr I need 0 pedals. Just plug straight into it. It has a few boost pedals on the amp too.

My favorite amps on it is the rectifier for high gain on the red channel and the twin on the green channel for cleans. The rec does not have the gain that the 6505 model has but it has more low end and it sounds tighter. It also has a decent krankenstein, diezel amp, and peavey classic 30. Of course theres the xxx, jsx, marshall plexi. I mean all these amps sound really good and theres endless amounts of stuff you can do with the onboard effects. They really done this amp right. Endless hours of fun messing with it.

And don't forget the hotter the tubes get the better it sounds you'll notice that also.
bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
i think the vypyr is better, but in owning a cube, it has a better metallica tone. imo
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by hcsn2008
I tried both for a long time before I bought the 60 watt tube. As I've said on here before they've worked out a good system with the tube version. You can play this amp at low volume and it sounds great. It has a post gain and master volume control where as most amps only have one. So you can actually turn up your post gain and keep your master down to play quiet and still sound great. Or you can turn your master all the way up and use your post gain as volume to play really loud. The tube version just sounds so much better. If you play both you'll end up walking out with the tube version. I haven't been that impressed with an amp in a long time honestly. Believe it or not I haven't even touched my 6505 since I got the vypyr. I was so sick of playing that 6505 in the bedroom. It had to be turned up to sound like I wanted it and it was a one trick pony. The vypyr sounds exactly like the thing on the tube version and I can get it at low volume and have all the rack effects and stompboxes too. The noise gate works well too. Some people complain about it but I find it is awesome. So with the vypyr I need 0 pedals. Just plug straight into it. It has a few boost pedals on the amp too.

My favorite amps on it is the rectifier for high gain on the red channel and the twin on the green channel for cleans. The rec does not have the gain that the 6505 model has but it has more low end and it sounds tighter. It also has a decent krankenstein, diezel amp, and peavey classic 30. Of course theres the xxx, jsx, marshall plexi. I mean all these amps sound really good and theres endless amounts of stuff you can do with the onboard effects. They really done this amp right. Endless hours of fun messing with it.

And don't forget the hotter the tubes get the better it sounds you'll notice that also.

That sounds really impressive and I notice the tube version still has a headphone socket too, which could be useful late at night in the home. Price is obviously an issue as the 75w is £240 while the tube version is £440 so it's quite a premium for those tubes. I think the decision will be made by my gear. I'll put the Marshall on Ebay this weekend and with the upgrades I've made to it should hopefully get £300. After that I'll sell my Digitech GNX3000 and if I can get £100 for that I'll get the tube version. If I get somewhat less than that I'll go for the 75w. In time no doubt I'll also get the Sanpera II.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by Doadman
That sounds really impressive and I notice the tube version still has a headphone socket too, which could be useful late at night in the home. Price is obviously an issue as the 75w is £240 while the tube version is £440 so it's quite a premium for those tubes. I think the decision will be made by my gear. I'll put the Marshall on Ebay this weekend and with the upgrades I've made to it should hopefully get £300. After that I'll sell my Digitech GNX3000 and if I can get £100 for that I'll get the tube version. If I get somewhat less than that I'll go for the 75w. In time no doubt I'll also get the Sanpera II.

trust me on this one.. Just save up and get the tube no matter how long it takes. be patient so you have an amp you can use and like for years instead of needing to upgrade in a year.
The Roland cube sounds better than the vypyr, but the vypyr has more features.

I'm pretty sure that most people who have voted for the vypyr have never played a cube or vypyr, because I am very surprised with the poll results.
I've played both... The Cube was good, but I like the Vypyr more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i own a cube30 and theres some great stuff about it like that its totaly indestructible but as far as the modeling goes its ok but the vypyrs way better.
Guys, don't suggest me a tube amp, cause i'm only gonna use this amp temporarily until i'm at a point where I can get a Mesa. I'm leaning towards the Roland.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by cohen5250
Guys, don't suggest me a tube amp, cause i'm only gonna use this amp temporarily until i'm at a point where I can get a Mesa. I'm leaning towards the Roland.

if it helps (which It probably won't) im going to have to roland cube thread up tomorrow night. I love my cube btw.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik

bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
Quote by hcsn2008

Please post vids/sound clips.

i have a tube 60 but im not confident in my playing to do so. No one here wants to hear my bastardization of Avenged Sevenfold - Unholy confessions.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
This thread will not die.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
bump
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric