The search function on this forum is fairly subpar so if there is already a thread on this that someone knows of, feel free to link it for me.

I'm always looking for good exercise ideas and input from other guitarists. I'd like to hear what techniques you think are the most important to practice. Rather, the priorities of practice. Also, some exercises that I can look at and try out.

A few of my favorites are from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. I love his ideas on finger independence and string skipping so I practice his chords that emphasize one or two finger movements.

I practice economy picking and string skipping by running chromatics. I start at 6th string 10th fret and do 1234 to the G string then skip back up to the A string, down to the B, up to the D... down to the E and back up.

I alternate pick scales through the circle of fifths to memorize notes and intervals. And that's it... just three to four technique exercises. I try to practice arpeggios but haven't found and economic/productive way to do so. What do you guys do that works for arpeggios?
This is an exercise that I use all the time. There's a lot of variations you can do to it. And it's something that you won't outgrow.

Below are the 3 fingerings found in the 3-note-per-string Diatonic scales.

e---1-2-4---------1-3-4------1-3-5-------
b----------------------------------------------

For this example, I'll use the first note group. Start on the B string at the 1st fret. Play the 1,2,4 pattern, then go to the first string (E), and do the same thing. Keep doing this, moving up one fret at a time. I usually stop when my index finger reaches the 12th fret. But you can go as high as you want. Once you get to your stopping point, go back down the neck in reverse order. Repeat this with the other 2 fingerings.
Because you're using scale"fragments", you'll be conditioning your hands for something that you'll actually use.

As I said, there are a lot of variations to this exercise. Here they are;

1. Do everything using alternate picking.
2. Pick the first note on each string, hammer the other two. Or pick the first one, pull-off the other two.
3. Do the notes in different order, ex. instead of 124, do 241 or 412, etc.
4. Do them on different string groups.
5. Stretch the patterns. This will increase your reach, and prepare your hands for different scales.
6. Do them by muting all the notes.
7. Mix and match the fingerings.
8. Try the same idea, using Pentatonic patterns.

Be sure to use a metronome. These are great for working on triplets and sixteenth note triplets.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Last edited by seth's daddy at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by Kaos_00
I dont have GP. =\

You can get tuxguitar, which plays GP files and is free.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Learn something like "Flight Of The Bumblebee", and if you can't play it fast, play it slow and gradually increase the speed. Try to incorporate all your fingers.

I used to not be able to play it fast, though I have used it as a warm-up exercise for a while and can now play it up to speed.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE