You know Killswitch Engage's "My Last Serenade" right? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11r_wTlrswA).

Well, the intro riff, after the acoustic part (you know, the muddy fast bit at exactly 0:40), the notes are:

4p0--0--0--4p0--0--0--4p0--0--0--4-3-2-0-5-4-3-0-

The last 8 notes, my hands just lose all coordination... I am an OK player of 1 and a half years of playing, I can play Rose of Sharyn without a problem, but this bit is just messing me up. As always, I have started it off really slowly, but when it comes to playing along my hands just wont play those notes right... could anyone give a retard some advice? It's just one of those things I can't get my head around...
Keep practicing. That's all you can really do. Take a break too. It doesn't look too bad. Good song too.

Oh yeah. Keep playing it slowly. If you're using guitar pro have it on a loop at a slower speed and keep doing it over and over and over.
Quote by Rave765
Keep practicing. That's all you can really do. Take a break too. It doesn't look too bad. Good song too.

Oh yeah. Keep playing it slowly. If you're using guitar pro have it on a loop at a slower speed and keep doing it over and over and over.

Thanks, and yeah I am using GP. I will have a go at looping it and slowing it down.
If you're really struggling I'd take just those last 8 notes, break them into two sets of 4 and practice them slowly. When you're comfortable with them seperate put them together, get comfortable with it and then add it to the rest of the riff. Good luck
sick song sick riff sick band
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
honestly what works for me, and this works for just me, is that when theres a fast or complex part i dont play it slowed down. i might play it slowly while just memorising the notes, but i play it at the right speed once i know what the notes are. i usually screw it up for the first 10 minutes but then it starts to fit. if i play it slowed down, it usually takes me a while to play it at the right speed. this is what works for me, others may disagree.
Don't worry, I found a new tab and it makes it simpler, its goes 1-3-4-0-2-4-5-0...

It sounds a little out of key but it's so muddy I doubt anyone will notice, it's for my college performance in a few days.

I seriously appreciate all the help though, I will take everything you guys said for future reference.
I just tried playing that tab, the last notes are just going down chromatically then an open string, I found that easier than the new tab you're using. Good luck and have fun. Oh and I suggest if something is too difficult to not half ass it, practice it until you get it right and you'll be a better guitarist.
Quote by Rave765
I just tried playing that tab, the last notes are just going down chromatically then an open string, I found that easier than the new tab you're using. Good luck and have fun. Oh and I suggest if something is too difficult to not half ass it, practice it until you get it right and you'll be a better guitarist.

Nearly everything I do is half-assed. I need some fuc*in special motivation to do anything good. Probably why I'm not as good as I should be for 1 and a half years.

Anyhow, I've finished the song. Took long enough ;D
He's my favorite too, next to Buckethead and David Gilmour... only shook hands with Gilbert though
What fingers are you using? Try using your first 3. As it is a quick riff, in my oppinion theres no need to use all 4 for something like this =]
Sweet.