My friend is selling one and I might buy it. He is offering AU$1000.

It is about 6-7 years old, in really good condition, all original pickups, etc and comes with hardcase, strap, etc.

Is this a good deal?

Picture (not his one but one like his)
http://tinyurl.com/328abr
Last edited by bananabobbanana at Feb 26, 2009,
What's this nonsense about '53 buckers? They first appeared in '57. And '55 type? Specials are a pretty new design, being flat bodied instead of the traditional and expensive curved top. I suppose the price isn't bad but that's mostly to do with the name on the headstock. If you fancy it, do check out the serial number on the Gibson website (its stamped on the back of the headstock) 'cos there are still rip-offs around.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i got my les paul special for 600 us with hardcase.

in truth save up for a nice playing studio early 90's or late 80's. good luck.
+1 on what lurcher's saying- the humbucker didn't appear until around 1957 or so, and the doublecut les paul junior until 1959, i think? could be slightly off with those dates, but the implication is the same- those dates your friend has quoted you are wrong. EDIT: oh i get you now, it's just a reissue. that's fair enough, the dates are still wrong though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a high end Epi insted.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.