As the title says, what's the diference? If i wanted to make a guitar amp into a bass amp is it simply a matter of swapping out for a bigger speaker?
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
One is for guitar, one is for bass.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Bass amps are geared more towards handling lower frequencies...and in most cases have smaller speakers than guitar amps (i.e. my bass cab has 4 10" speakers and my guitar cabs have 4 12" speakers). So to answer your question, changing the speakers will not make your guitar amp a bass amp.
With a bass amp you usually want really high wattage, that stays clean and doesnt break up. Where a good guitar amp breaks up and distorts, and gives us all that nice overdriven sound we love. Example being the 59 fender bassman. Designed as a bass amp, but more or less taken over by guitarists cause of the way it breaks up.
Quote by eyebanez333
Bass amps are geared more towards handling lower frequencies...and in most cases have smaller speakers than guitar amps (i.e. my bass cab has 4 10" speakers and my guitar cabs have 4 12" speakers). So to answer your question, changing the speakers will not make your guitar amp a bass amp.

not always true. some bass amps have 1x15 speakers

but to TS, if you do this, it wont sound very pretty. the bass amps are made for low frequencies, and wont sound very good with a guitar
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
To put out the same power at a lower frequency, the speaker has to move further. The voice coils of bass speakers are designed for a greater excursion than guitar speakers.
Quote by ihavenoname93
not always true. some bass amps have 1x15 speakers

but to TS, if you do this, it wont sound very pretty. the bass amps are made for low frequencies, and wont sound very good with a guitar

I know its not always true, thats why I said 'in most cases.' I was merely making a point that putting bigger speakers in is not going to make it a bass amp.
Also the cabinet is tuned to better project low frequencies and the tone section is designed with EQ controls at frequencies useful to bass rather than guitar, but the speakers are the main thing.