Hey up fellas,

Need some help finding some new tubes for my marshall dsl head.

I'm totally retarded when it comes to tubes (last time I just took it to an amp tech) but I would like to maybe save money by buying and installing myself. Seems easy enough - I just slot them in where the old ones were surely?

Trouble is - I have no idea what tubes I want to be going for, where to get them from, how much they should be etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40
there's a big sticky at the top of this forum, check that
as for what tubes to get, there should be a list/graphic in your amp somewhere

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hey man, as a fellow dsl100 owner I can tell you you want EL34's for power tubes and you will need 4 of em. Some people will advise you replace these with KT77 tubes and while this will make the amp sound sweet as a nut they can also blow up your amp without the mods needed. Stick to EL34s!

The smaller tubes are the preamp tubes and these are 12AX7s or ECC83s(same tubes different names- go figure) of which you will want to buy 4 also.

Tubes can be as much as a £$10 - £$30 a tube depending on what you buy. If you are UK i say go to Watford Valves if you are in the states id suggest Eurotubes although since im a limey I cant vouch for the US based shops as I always use watford Valves for my tubey needs.

As for what tubes to buy you will really need to describe what you want to cahnge about the amps character as there will be certain things that different tubes do better than others. This discussion should really go to the ultimate tube thread as there are way more knowledgable people over there.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Hey man, as a fellow dsl100 owner I can tell you you want EL34's for power tubes and you will need 4 of em. Some people will advise you replace these with KT77 tubes and while this will make the amp sound sweet as a nut they can also blow up your amp without the mods needed. Stick to EL34s!

Just out of curiosity (sorry for the hijack), what blows up with the KT77s? I've been running a set in a customer's DSL for quite awhile not and it's been fine...

He liked the tone of them a lot more ("I've never had the low end be that tight..."), so..just wondering.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
From experience i reccomend...

JJ EL34's (although i have only tried the 6l6's but i hear they're both good)
and i love the JJ 12ax7's too. Easy

Buy them from www.hotroxuk.com
thanks for all the help guys - feel a lot more comfortable with it now.
SO just fopr peace of mind - it is something as simple as taking out the old ones - putting in the new and I'm sorted?
TC Ellis Custom Series 2
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum edition

Korg Pitchblack, Vox V847 wah
Blackstar HT40