Poll: Black History Month:
Poll Options
View poll results: Black History Month:
Promotes segregation by fostering an "Us" "Them" ideology
295 72%
Promotes segregation by glorifying historic deeds for less than 1/12 of the year
17 4%
Does not promote segregation, because I take everything at face value
97 24%
Voters: 410.
Page 1 of 6
The US is celebrating Black History Month, and has been since the beginning of February. Which in and of itself is suggestive...February being the shortest month of the year. So, I just wanted to discuss how current policies in various countries actually work to create racism under the guise of attempting to remove it.

:EDIT:

This isn't about the absence of a white (or any other culture) history month.

I'm saying that Black History Month actually promotes racism and the segregation of black people by relegating the deeds of black individuals to only be taught or celebrated within a specific time period (being a single month).
Last edited by denizenz at Feb 26, 2009,
It's clearly not racist, that's ridiculous. It is supposed to support education about black people who have, for the greater part of american history, not had their history taught. There's nothing racist about that, unless you're lamenting the loss of 'white history' which I hope you're not.

Whether it's relevant anymore is another issue, is it actually serving to educate about the contribution of black people to countries anymore or is it preventing that being subsumed into the main body of history?

Seems to me it's about halfway there and it's not yet totally redundant.

'black history month' is october here, but I only knew that after actively looking it up when i heard about black history month in America. There aren't that many black people here, and there were like none were I lived for my first 17 years, so that's probably why.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by SoftOath
i wanna kno y theres a black history month but not a white history month...its racism, but its racism against the whites...but then again, its racism against blacks because it is suggesting that they need a history month cuz they dont have anything else (not how i really think)

'white history' has generally been called 'history'. That's why 'black history' month exists.
Quote by meh!
'white history' has generally been called 'history'. That's why 'black history' month exists.

but there is no month that only celebrates the accomplishments of white people...i think that just this segregation is racist in itself...its actually really similar to affirmative action
Quote by meh!
It's clearly not racist, that's ridiculous. It is supposed to support education about black people who have, for the greater part of american history, not had their history taught. There's nothing racist about that, unless you're lamenting the loss of 'white history' which I hope you're not.

I'm not foolish enough to think it's racist because there doesn't exist a white history month. That's not where I was going. However, shouldn't those historic deeds be celebrated every day of the year, along side and in the context of American history on the whole?
There's no Asian history month either, or Native American, or anyone else actually. That's the only way I'd deem it to be racist.

But I agree with meh! in that it's probably redundant by now. Maybe by hanging on to things like Black History Month and reminding people not to be racist we're actually preventing racism from dying out. Maybe, I dunno.
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by SoftOath
i wanna kno y theres a black history month but not a white history month...its racism, but its racism against the whites...but then again, its racism against blacks because it is suggesting that they need a history month cuz they dont have anything else (not how i really think)

well the major reason we dont have our own month is becasue well...if you read a history book most african americans were considered sub-human and not part of society until the later 1800s and were hanged and forced to use seperate facilities until about 50 yrs ago......so in a way they deserve at least a month or so....

I dont really see how it creates racism, its sort of like a month to remember history in a sense, and everything that african americans have had to overcome in history, they are not using this month to run down the streets yelling " KILL WHITEY" i dont really see what the big deal or why people are offended by having a black history month, but thats just me, if you want a white history month...go for it i wouldnt care about that either...
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
for me, the existence of black history month is racist. where is white history month?

why arent there white colleges? or white ANYTHING, in terms of organizations?

bc of the history of segregation, black people nowaday are revered. but todays black people dont have it any more difficult than the whites. so teach about their ****ty past in history class, and quit acting like the ones today deserve better treatment.

equal rights sure, but not more than. ****ing ridiculous.

if you look at past, white europeans were the civilized folk whom established the U.S., and pretty much all of europe. even the other great civilization, eastern asia, was founded by...the asians. and so, where do black people fit? they were carried around. they just sort of were there, and were enslaved for awhile.

now. how does that really get my black neighbor the scholarship i could have gotten? you see, i have a higher gpa, and he has a criminal record. yet he got it literally because he is black.

i say whites should fight for equality. and actually, looking back, this was OUR country. to be fair.
Quote by -NOFX-
There's no Asian history month either, or Native American, or anyone else actually. That's the only way I'd deem it to be racist.

But I agree with meh! in that it's probably redundant by now. Maybe by hanging on to things like Black History Month and reminding people not to be racist we're actually preventing racism from dying out. Maybe, I dunno.

I agree with that...simply drawing light to race, wether it be reflecting on past acheivements or not, ultimately keeps race in mind, which isn't what should be happening.
The idea of Black History month is not racist, but it is whatever the people make out of it. There's white people who think its a sham and then there's Black people who think its the greatest thing to ever happen. Just take it for what it is and actually try learning it to get a better understanding.
I agree 100% with the 'us' and 'them' thingy. Equality cannot be achieved as long as ANY side gets special treatment.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by nathanhimmerich
i say whites should fight for equality. and actually, looking back, this was OUR country. to be fair.

presumably your Native American then?
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by nathanhimmerich
for me, the existence of black history month is racist. where is white history month?

why arent there white colleges? or white ANYTHING, in terms of organizations?

bc of the history of segregation, black people nowaday are revered. but todays black people dont have it any more difficult than the whites. so teach about their ****ty past in history class, and quit acting like the ones today deserve better treatment.

equal rights sure, but not more than. ****ing ridiculous.

if you look at past, white europeans were the civilized folk whom established the U.S., and pretty much all of europe. even the other great civilization, eastern asia, was founded by...the asians. and so, where do black people fit? they were carried around. they just sort of were there, and were enslaved for awhile.

now. how does that really get my black neighbor the scholarship i could have gotten? you see, i have a higher gpa, and he has a criminal record. yet he got it literally because he is black.

Wow, I quoted this because it sounds like something one of the white-supremacists said from American History X.

I don't have a problem with Black History Month, but I believe there isn't a lot of things dedicated to other races. Asians, Jews, and women were persecuted as well...
LARGE TEXT
Quote by SoftOath
but there is no month that only celebrates the accomplishments of white people...i think that just this segregation is racist in itself...its actually really similar to affirmative action

That's because 'history' for the past 2000 years in western society has MEANT 'white history'. No one cared about the actions of other races.

Black history doesn't exist because people need their own month, it exists so that a people who have had their history stolen from them by racists governments can learn about it. White people have never, ever needed that.

The only issue now is whether or not black people still need it, white people never have.

Quote by denizenz
I'm not foolish enough to think it's racist because there doesn't exist a white history month. That's not where I was going. However, shouldn't those historic deeds be celebrated every day of the year, along side and in the context of American history on the whole?

They should be, I think we all agree on that... but they haven't been and likely still aren't. Getting rid of black history month wouldn't, i don't think, suddenly pull everyone's socks up and have them teaching 'black history' equally with others. There would be all the usual opposition to disguise simple racism ('Oh, that black wasn't really that important' - 'oh, we just happened to have never chosen to do the black history modue' and so on and so on ad nauseum).

The situation is clearly much better than it was before but, and I say this with only interaction through the internet so am willing to accept being wrong, with the general attitude of American society things like black history month still need to exist.
ehhhh....I don't really see how it is.

It's just another damn holiday. there are so many things much more important IMHO.

Just because they'res a "Black History Month" doesn't mean people can't celebrate it any day of the year if they choose to. History is still being taught in schools, no?

Just like Chirstmas.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Feb 26, 2009,
the native americans didt found this country, bendy, whites did.

the natives were here, but they had nothing to do with modern america except for showing the whites how to get to the pacific. and the fact that they resisted civilization, and had to be killed often.

if you refute that, remember that its true.
Whenever this comes up I always like to reference Morgan Freeman. He made a great point that Black History month inadvertently breeds more racism. When you hold up one race above others of course there is going to be resistance and an opposite reaction from the desired one. He made a great point that where is the Jewish history month? The Native American history month? The Asian History month? You end racism by not talking about people's color. If you see people as people and not use race as their key identifying factor then racism will be greatly reduced, it will never go away though.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
I agree 100% with the 'us' and 'them' thingy. Equality cannot be achieved as long as ANY side gets special treatment.

It isn't special treatment. Would you consider it to be special treatment if your history were sung only 28 days of the year?

See, this is exactly the dangerous mentality that our policies work to promote.
Yeah, they really aren't helping themselves by segregating a month for their fight against racism. People should be remembering black history all year round, not just the shortest monthe of the year.

And why isn't there a Chinese history month? Terrorists would have to manually throw their grenades at tank columns, people lost in the woods would be SOL and JWL without a compass, those damn italians wouldn't have pasta at all, no silk lingerie for corporate fatcats, no rice, no soybeans that all these health nuts are so crazy about, all doors would have to be opened manually, Link wouldn't be able to get the orange rupees behind boulders if it weren't for us; judging how the whites have treated us over our history, they can keep brushing their teeth with a branch and those gangstas can rap about how many 100 dollar coins they have and their bows and arrows.
hue
is this really a topic to discuss on a guitar forum ?
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Since many of you seem to be quite ignorant of this fact, we do have history months for other peoples.

This is for the USA:

February: Black history month
March: Women's history month
May: Asian history month
September: Hispanic history month
November: Native American history month

Edit: ^ this is the general discussion forum.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 26, 2009,
sock demon, youre right. but what have blacks done, other than establish "equality"? why do they deserve so much recognition in america, when the ones today havent been enslaved, nor have any bad treatment worse than the other races?

they have had no significant impact on our history.
Quote by G-loony

You could say that about most of the topics here.
I don't see what the big deal is, it's a month not a whole year. Get over it.
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
I think Black History Month is bull****. There, I said it...

I work at Wal-Mart and I've had black customers scream at me and cuss me out because I didn't give them their "Black History Month discount"... And this has happened on more than one occasion.

I also agree 100% with what nathanhimmerich said. Today's African-Americans have not been persecuted in any way, shape, or form. And for them to make me feel like I owe them something is completely ridiculous.
Quote by G-loony

Is this really a guitar forum?
I look forward to the day when it can just be called "Human History Month".
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by woMANintheBOX19
I don't see what the big deal is, it's a month not a whole year. Get over it.

That's exactly my point. It isn't racist against other cultures...it serves to segregate black people by giving their history a less important place in general American History.
Quote by StewieSwan
Since many of you seem to be quite ignorant of this fact, we do have history months for other peoples.

This is for the USA:

Edit: ^ this is the general discussion forum.

Goes to show how one is more promoted than the other.

There shouldn't be months for any race, imo.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by nathanhimmerich

the natives were here, but they had nothing to do with modern america except for showing the whites how to get to the pacific. and the fact that they resisted civilization, and had to be killed often.

It's kind of ironic that someone can argue about white people creating culture on a guitar website which is primarily taken up by fans of rock and metal, genres of music which took the majority of their influence from black slave songs (that's where the blues comes from, in case you didn't know).
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
IMO, to make a month of it is a bit too much. I am definitely not racist but if our goal is to live together equally, why are we promoting the past and making it last a month ? Make a day of remembrance for the Black people who led the way to their liberty and promoted freedom for everyone. I wish we could all get along and this doesn't help at all.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Quote by crackerpleaz
Is this really a guitar forum?

Well... i'm not sure...

Between you and me, I secretly think it's Pedobears hideout!!!
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by G-loony

That's why the pit exists.
hue
Quote by denizenz
That's exactly my point. It isn't racist against other cultures...it serves to segregate black people by giving their history a less important place in general American History.

But if it was to dissapear black history wouldn't have a great place in American History, it would still be largely ignored.
Quote by StewieSwan

This is for the USA:

Thank you. I don't see why everyone is complaining about it. My friend is taking an African American History class and he's learning more than he would in a normal U.S. History class. Complaining is not going to make it go away...
Her friends are gazing on her,
And on her gaudy bier,
And weep!-oh! to dishonor
Dead beauty with a tear!
They loved her for her wealth-
And they hated her for her pride-
But she grew in feeble health,
And they love her-that she died.
That poll is ridiculously biased, by the way.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
Quote by neopowell
It's kind of ironic that someone can argue about white people creating culture on a guitar website which is primarily taken up by fans of rock and metal, genres of music which took the majority of their influence from black slave songs (that's where the blues comes from, in case you didn't know).

were talking about treatment in our country, not the music in it.

and yea, metal and rock has its roots in black slave music. but considering how much its changed, i dont credit it.
Quote by meh!
But if it was to dissapear black history wouldn't have a great place in American History, it would still be largely ignored.

Don't you think that is the problem that should be solved instead of swept under the rug and ignored because high-handed policy makers believe they can fool the ignorant by pointing to programs that work to subconsciously stir racial tension and send the message that black history (and therefore present culture and contributions) is inferior?
Quote by neopowell
That poll is ridiculously biased, by the way.

Don't worry, I don't think this will become a national statistics in tomorrow's newspaper...
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Quote by charger356
I think Black History Month is bull****. There, I said it...

I work at Wal-Mart and I've had black customers scream at me and cuss me out because I didn't give them their "Black History Month discount"... And this has happened on more than one occasion.

I also agree 100% with what nathanhimmerich said. Today's African-Americans have not been persecuted in any way, shape, or form. And for them to make me feel like I owe them something is completely ridiculous.

Wow.
If I was you, I would actually take offence if someone did that.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO