Hi there I am curious as to wheather or not you can chnage you guitar to alternate tunings with the tremsetter installed and still have it function as intended. Some I imagin would have more drastic change in the over all tention than others, such as: DADGAD DGDGBD. some other tunning I play with are just dropping one string such as drop D or dropping the D to a C sharp.

I searched and found one person who said that they could drop the low E to a B without any other strings going out. A low B is a pretty extreme drop, So what about Open tunings?
I have tremsetters on my guitars with floating trems and I go from stanard tunings to drop tunings with a little forethought when I'm setting them up. I keep the nuts locked and only use the fine tuners.

I'm assuming your starting out with a standard tuning (EADgbe). It looks like all you want to do is tune the 5th string down one step and tune the 2nd string up one step. They would just cancel each other out in tension. So it should be fine since you will just be adding the drop D. Just take a little time to plan the set up for your guitar's fine tuners before you lock the nut down and you should be able to do the open tunings.

The only way I can see someone being able to tune from strandard to drop B tuning would be to unlock the nut and tune down with the regular tuner, it could never work without that. The fine tuners only have a max range of about 1½ to 2 steps. Drop B is like 5 steps down (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just take a little time to plan the set up for your guitar and you may be able to do the drop B tuning.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Feb 26, 2009,
I'm not sure weather the guy was playing with the E droped to a B or if it was just a test to see how far he could go untill the other strings started to go out of tune.

But as for the open tuning such as DADGAD

1st E dropped to D
2nd B dropped to A
3rd same
4th same
5th same
6th E dropped to D

so three strings are going down one step

Hypothetically what would happen if your string tension was too low for the setting of the tremsetter? (Assuming the operation of the tremsetter is dependand on a certain amount of string tension)
I should also mention I'm playing on a stardard strat with out any locking bits and what not.
Dropping three strings going down one step each? Yeah, that is definatley going to make the other 3 sharp. How sharp hopefully only a few cents sharp.

You may want to make the tremsetter buck spring tension as tight as much as you can. That will make the tremsetter & the over all action of the tremolo stiffer, thus not effecting the overall tuning as much when you drop the 3 strings one step, but you'll still be off by a little. It's not gonna be perfect overall and the tremolo will be stiffer/hard to use.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by norb7777
I should also mention I'm playing on a stardard strat with out any locking bits and what not.

Great. Now you mention that!

It should still work. Just set the tension on the buck spring as tight as it will go and you should be fine.

And invest in some locking tuners, like Sprezels; to keep you guitar in tune the best.
- Albert Einstein -