Page 1 of 2
So for five days now my dog has been afraid to go outside. Whenever I bring him near the door he digs his heels into the ground and I have to drag him out.

Strangely he’s willing to go out when I bring on a lead to go for a walk but when I try to bring him back into the garden after the walk he tries to dig him heels into the ground like he does when I'm bringing him outside.

I looked at the answers to people with similar problems on other websites and I tried some of the suggestions other people made but none of them worked.

I tried walking him around the perimeter of the garden so he could see there’s nothing to be afraid of and he went with me quiet willingly but when he still wouldn't go outside.

People also said that recent changes could also frighten him. The only recent change I can think of was a new weight bench was placed in him favourite room but he doesn’t seem to have a problem with that and he still spends a lot of his time in that room.

I'm very worried and I've run out of ideas to help him. He’s usually extremely confident so this is very uncharacteristic behaviour. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter.

P.S: I know this is a stupid question to ask the pit so to counter-act that stupidness I also posted it on Yahoo Answers.

tl;dr: Dogs afraid to go outside, what will I do?

*UPDATE*
So my brothers after seeing a red squirrel in the garden. Would that be enough to spook my dog? And if so is there any way I could get rid of the squirrel? Killing it is not an option as red squirrels are an endangered species here.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
Last edited by peterom11 at Feb 27, 2009,
sounds like the dog got raped in the garden. like, seriously.

are there any new animals/new anything in said garden? our horses used to never go into a part of one of our pastures after we cut a dead apple tree down (obvious physical change), and they eventually got used to it. maybe something like this happened?

so, instead of just doing a perimeter walk with the dog, do an investigation yourself to see what might be bothering him.

addendum: so, the take home message is (as TS probably already knows, i'm just throwing this out there) is that most domestic animals, are, like humans, associative [is this the correct term?] creatures. once you learn that fire is hot, you know that fire is hot, and wont stick your hand into said fire again. and this brings back my original semi-jest of rape. something probably happened to your dog in the garden, and because of this, he is afraid of the whole garden for fear of that event happening again.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 26, 2009,
tl;dr: Dogs afraid to go outside, what will I do?

Nuke It... It's the only option.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
sounds like the dog got raped in the garden. like, seriously.

are there any new animals/new anything in said garden? our horses used to never go into a part of one of our pastures after we cut a dead apple tree down (obvious physical change), and they eventually got used to it. maybe something like this happened?

so, instead of just doing a perimeter walk with the dog, do an investigation yourself to see what might be bothering him.

Well there are no obvious physical changes in the garden. And I searched around to see if there was anything but I could find nothing.

I haven't seen any animals or anything odd around the garden either.

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
lure it outside with a trail of dog treats

I tried that with Dentasticks which he would usually do ANYTHING for ( ) but it didn't work.

☻/

/▌

/ \

Quote by peterom11
Well there are no obvious physical changes in the garden. And I searched around to see if there was anything but I could find nothing.

I tried that with Dentasticks which he would usually do ANYTHING for ( ) but it didn't work.

*Nuclear Weapons Available*
*Select Target*

DO IT NAO!!!
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Or else I might have to resort to nuking something apparantly, but that didn't help the last time and I don't think it will do any good this time either...

☻/

/▌

/ \

Quote by ZanasCross
lol, your dog is a pussy.

You now own a cat.

This.... lol

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
it sounds like your dog got stung by a bee or something out there or maybe snake in the grass?
i'd say just be out there a lot yourself and he'll see that you are calm and join you.
weird problem though.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
it sounds like your dog got stung by a bee or something out there or maybe snake in the grass?
i'd say just be out there a lot yourself and he'll see that you are calm and join you.
weird problem though.

There ain't no snakes in Ireland. Apparantly some old priest chased them away thousands of years ago. Who knew?

Theres no bees either due to it being the middle of Winter.

We were out playing soccer a few days ago and he wouldn't even come out to try and steal the ball...

☻/

/▌

/ \

Quote by peterom11
There ain't no snakes in Ireland. Apparantly some old priest chased them away thousands of years ago. Who knew?

Theres no bees either due to it being the middle of Winter.

We were out playing soccer a few days ago and he wouldn't even come out to try and steal the ball...

Then I'm just going to have to agree with the Kirk thing.
dont ever EVER call it soccer! you're Irish, not American!
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
Then I'm just going to have to agree with the Kirk thing.
dont ever EVER call it soccer! you're Irish, not American!

We have Gaelic Football too so we just call it soccer to avoid confusion

☻/

/▌

/ \

Quote by SG_dave
maybe if you rape your dog inside it'd be too scared to stay indoors... gets him outside

Nope didn't work, any other suggestions?

☻/

/▌

/ \

Don't try and rationalise the problem or figure out why he's doing it; that typically leads to frustration. The fact of the matter is he is being irrational, regardless of the reason for it; all you need to do is show him there is nothing to be afraid of, and that nothing poses a threat to him. This is logic, and I'm sure you're already aware of that.

The best way to solve it is to use your own confidence, calmness and 'leadership' so to speak. Take a small lead and put it onto his collar/neck, without talking to him, without using affection as a lure and without debating with him. Your only aim is to get from where you are to where you want to go, i.e., wherever it is he's anathema to. If he starts resisting, don't go 'Come on boy. Good boy' or anything in the same vain, just keep gently pulling him forward and keep walking forward; don't stop walking forward.

The protest is the most important part, where he starts to do a double-take and dig his heels in/pull his neck back/tries to wriggle out of the collar/lead. If you just keep walking forward and don't make a big deal out of it, while being confident/calm etc., then he will surrender/realise you're not going to let him go the other way - but the important thing is you're not negotiating with him, it isn't a come here and you get rewarded with food/affection, and it isn't a threat come here or I'll ****ing lamp you. His reward is your pride when he accomplishes what you want him to do.

When you're there, again don't make a big deal out of it, don't get excited, don't start mindlessly groping him with affection and don't get tense or nervous. If you keep a calm head and rational thought process, he will follow. If you get tense/nervous/edgy etc., all you're doing is exacerbating the situation and the problem. If you do the above, it is a logical conclusion that he will calm down, and the neurosis/irrationality will go away as his tension and nervousness does. When you're satisfied, or it's obvious he's no longer nervous and afraid, then the feeling of pride of what you've accomplished, and what he has accomplished - that feeling is affection enough; if you want to stroke him to show your appreciation, I'd recommend stroking his chest/chin upward; the motion you make naturally raises his head, and is a physical position more conducive to pride and confidence. You're effectively manipulating his body position, and in turn that 'tricks' (not tricks, I just can't think of another way. But it lets his mind know he is in a state of pride, confidence, etc.).

If you do all this properly, i.e., if you stay calm and confident throughout, it will work. If it doesn't, you're not doing it right. Back to my first point, don't try and rationalise why he won't co-operate with you, if there is a problem - it will usually be because you're not in a state of mind that is effective for what you're trying to accomplish. And logically, trying to rationalise/understand why will invariably lead you to frustration and tension, which as it's apparent, is the complete opposite to what you're trying to do.

Good luck!
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by ZanasCross
lol, your dog is a pussy.

You now own a cat.

Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Johnljones7443
Don't try and rationalise the problem or figure out why he's doing it; that typically leads to frustration. The fact of the matter is he is being irrational, regardless of the reason for it; all you need to do is show him there is nothing to be afraid of, and that nothing poses a threat to him. This is logic, and I'm sure you're already aware of that.

The best way to solve it is to use your own confidence, calmness and 'leadership' so to speak. Take a small lead and put it onto his collar/neck, without talking to him, without using affection as a lure and without debating with him. Your only aim is to get from where you are to where you want to go, i.e., wherever it is he's anathema to. If he starts resisting, don't go 'Come on boy. Good boy' or anything in the same vain, just keep gently pulling him forward and keep walking forward; don't stop walking forward.

The protest is the most important part, where he starts to do a double-take and dig his heels in/pull his neck back/tries to wriggle out of the collar/lead. If you just keep walking forward and don't make a big deal out of it, while being confident/calm etc., then he will surrender/realise you're not going to let him go the other way - but the important thing is you're not negotiating with him, it isn't a come here and you get rewarded with food/affection, and it isn't a threat come here or I'll ****ing lamp you. His reward is your pride when he accomplishes what you want him to do.

When you're there, again don't make a big deal out of it, don't get excited, don't start mindlessly groping him with affection and don't get tense or nervous. If you keep a calm head and rational thought process, he will follow. If you get tense/nervous/edgy etc., all you're doing is exacerbating the situation and the problem. If you do the above, it is a logical conclusion that he will calm down, and the neurosis/irrationality will go away as his tension and nervousness does. When you're satisfied, or it's obvious he's no longer nervous and afraid, then the feeling of pride of what you've accomplished, and what he has accomplished - that feeling is affection enough; if you want to stroke him to show your appreciation, I'd recommend stroking his chest/chin upward; the motion you make naturally raises his head, and is a physical position more conducive to pride and confidence. You're effectively manipulating his body position, and in turn that 'tricks' (not tricks, I just can't think of another way. But it lets his mind know he is in a state of pride, confidence, etc.).

If you do all this properly, i.e., if you stay calm and confident throughout, it will work. If it doesn't, you're not doing it right. Back to my first point, don't try and rationalise why he won't co-operate with you, if there is a problem - it will usually be because you're not in a state of mind that is effective for what you're trying to accomplish. And logically, trying to rationalise/understand why will invariably lead you to frustration and tension, which as it's apparent, is the complete opposite to what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

Ceaser Milan? Is that you?
We're only strays.
Quote by peterom11

most dogs are smart. If they're scared of something they will figure out the treat trick. What you have to try is distract them I think, while promoting positive training.

I think I saw a woman on tv do that once.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Dogs have heels?

Cool.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
All this malarky that people has said above is baloney.

Ghosts, theres your answer. You got a haunted garden.
Try checking for bee hives or ant farms, or Gardner snakes near the door that you're trying to lead him out of that he refuses to use.
My Dad always said confront your fears, I was scared of dogs before, so we got a dog
"So what's this I hear about being scared of anal rape?..."
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Okay, TS, let's see... you know how cats sometimes like to go outside and wander around?

Well, my cat... was technically an indoor cat. But we had this squirrel problem. They'd come in, tear apart my mom's garden and peace out. And they were also living above our house, in the attic, which is nearly impossible to access.

SOOOO, we grabbed my little tabby cat, dragged her outside, put a leash on her, and tied her to a tree to fend off dem vicious squirrels. Needless to say... bad idea, because the squirrels surrounded her and uh, taunted her and my cat was scared ****less. Kinda funny, since I knew it was a really pointless thing to do, but obviously my 'rents don't get that cats aren't as good as dogs for that sort of thing.

ANYWAYS, I don't think that really helped, I just wanted you to know that forcing your pet to do something against their will probably isn't good. In relation to your dog, maybe just go around your yard, and see for yourself. What kind of dog do you have? There honestly could be this animal or something that might frighten it, you never know. One time, my cat nearly got raped by a vicious stray cat - she got outside one night and we panicked, and went outside just in time to see my cat bolt in past us, quickly being followed by this big mean sonuvabitch.

Wow, I'll stop typing now.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Good luck!

you sir, need to add a tl;dr too.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by peterom11
So for five days now my dog has been afraid to go outside. Whenever I bring him near the door he digs his heels into the ground and I have to drag him out.
Strangely he’s willing to go out when I bring on a lead to go for a walk but when I try to bring him back into the garden after the walk he tries to dig him heels into the ground like he does when I'm bringing him outside.

Maybe he's just afraid of the door.

No, seriously he may be afraid of it, when my dog falls or hurts herself she won't come near the place were it happened.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

*BUMPITY BUMP FOR UPDATE*

So my brothers after seeing a red squirrel in the garden. Would that be enough to spook my dog? And if so is there any way I could get rid of the squirrel? Killing it is not an option as red squirrels are an endangered species here.

☻/

/▌

/ \

Catch it and rape it, repeatedly /thread
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by lee 31392
Catch it and rape it, repeatedly /thread

Why must every problem on UG be solved with rape?

☻/

/▌

/ \

Kill him.

obviously not worth living anymore, is he?

do him a favor and buy a bullet
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Quote by peterom11
Why must every problem on UG be solved with rape?

I bet you every bit of money I will ever own that if you rape that squirell, it will never come back - ever.
And everyone always answers with rape because it works - trust me
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
Quote by Aidy Damage
^ Don't try to get sigged, it makes you look like an idiot.

Why would I try to get sigged? I aked a simple question about my dog and 4 people responded with 'rape'

☻/

/▌

/ \

C'mon guys! I'm desperate.

Surely someone on UG knows how to help me.

☻/

/▌

/ \

i have an old dog that does this kind of thing when on of my siblings leaves for college. or when my dad goes on vacation, he doesnt like to go outside without a toy and he looks back a lot to make sure im standing in the doorway. good luck with your doggie.
I'm a chick. Get used to it!
Page 1 of 2