Hey guys, like the title says I'm going to start modding my old P-Bass soon. It's just a stock Affinity P, so I'm looking to change pretty much everything bar the body, but will be doing over some time so as to spread the cost as I have other things to pay for, lol.

Other than pickups and the bridge I was thinking of maybe going slightly outlandish and trying to turn it into a 5er. I know this would be a serious amount of work but is it possible? I'm assuming there would have to be alot of profiling of the neck joint but would it be a case of doing this then finding a 5 string neck I like and attaching that to the body.

I have the bass in pieces, will take some pics soon and keep everyone updated when I finally get going on the project. My start date is this weekend, going to be stripping the paint off the body and then taking it from there.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and help guys,

-Toby
Maybe, but I already have a Schecter Elite-5 and this is something I'd rather do to be honest, the parts I'll be buying will be cheaper than shelling out for new bass.
Well, unless your planning to get a new neck it would need some routing on the neck pocket depending on the new neck. If not then you would need to buy a new set of tuners (Because 1 new 4 old tuners just look BLEGH) for this. Get the new bridge and position it on the right place so all the strings can go into the neck. Get a new nut. and with that you could use the same pups if using the same neck. I've anyways never seen a 5 string precision 0.0. So i think you'll be using the same 4 string pups which is sweet!
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Yeah I'm planning on getting a new neck and some 5-string P pups along with new tuners and bridge, basically replacing everything but the body. Any ideas for a paint scheme? I've always wanted a checkerboard design so I'm thinking of having black and white checks on the front and back and keep the sides a solid colour, red maybe.
i dont really know much about the building part of what you are doing, but black and white never look bad. overcomplicating it with red might tho.

something like this perhaps?

(yes i know it has three strings and yes, it was electrical tape but the ghetto bass is pretty cool!)
Hmmmm, so your looking for a checkered sunburst using red black and white? That's crazy nuts! I LOVE IT LOL.

Give it a try man. But i think you would need to switch to either a humbucker or j-style pups for the 5 stringers (Or maybe not lol) Well... Hmmm... I would had to have the bass on my hands and i would tell you properly what to do :P

When you get the 5 string neck you will need to expand the neck pocket. Will need to get the same from both sides to make it stay in the center. then adjust the bridge so it will go in like with the neck and check if you can still fit in there 5 strings and that p-pup get all of them. If it works then you wont need to go crazy routing for another type of pups
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
So far I'm out of luck trying to find a 5 string neck, been checking eBay and nothing has come up, do you guys have any websites that sell good quality necks? This is my first build so I have no idea about resources and the like.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Maybe, but I already have a Schecter Elite-5 and this is something I'd rather do to be honest, the parts I'll be buying will be cheaper than shelling out for new bass.
Not gonna happen. New neck, new tuners, new bridge, new pickups ... this is expensive. Guitar companies can buy hardware much cheaper than you or I can. Even marking it up afterward, you'll get a better deal by buying rather than building.

The reason to build is to get just what you want. ime, you'd be better off adding a new body to this and get EXACTLY what you want. Sell the Squire to offset the cost.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
it's possible to convert a 4 string neck to accomadate 5 strings, go for it

http://www.3dentourage.com/425/425.htm
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Bumping the thread a little cause I think I've decided my course of action.

I've looked into fitting a actual 5 string neck but it does seem like a lot of effort and could end up ruining the body with a little mistake so I think I'm going to go with Skater dan's suggestion and convert a 4-string neck into a 5 string neck. This is a better for me cause I've noticed that 4-string necks are more readily available on eBay etc than a 5 string neck.

Here comes my next question, what neck would you suggest I replace the stock neck with? If possible I'd want 24 frets so I know I'd still have some work to do with regards to fitting that and sorting out the intonation.

I'll get some pics of the body done later. Thanks for looking in guys!