Page 1 of 6
Ok I know this belongs in the gaming thread but I need just a quick answer and don't wanna search through all the posts etc.

I just bought halo the other day, the original one. Everyone I've talked to says that this game is the best and it revolutionized the industry. So my question is what makes it apart from any other shooter on the planet and what makes it so revolutionary. I know the melee and recharging shields come from it but other than that why is it so great. What came before it? There's gotta be someone who knows. Anyhow I don't want a lame answer like "because it's halo". There's no explanation in that.

Thanks guys, it is still a great game though.
Nothing.

It's a good game but it's ridiculously overrated
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Yes. It does belong in the GT.

The original Halo was widely hailed because it was one of the first FPS games on a console that managed to play as smoothly as a PC FPS game.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it led to Halo 2, which had the greatest online experience to date. In my opinion, of course.
Quote by ewp805
^^^Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Ted!^^^

Monsterbeast is fat and ugly.
I thought it was terrible, although I played it when I already had CoD4
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Nothing.
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
Because it's Halo.

Actually I'm sure just playing the first one now isn't going to impress you. You probably needed to play it 8 years ago, when it came out.

Play Halo 3 online and you'll know why people love it so much. It's like crack.
^This
And I love the story too, that's what makes it great for me
To Gigatiran
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Last edited by Thrasher51 at Feb 26, 2009,
I played halo a bit after launch. i just didn't get it, what was so good? maybe I'm spoilt by the likes of half life 2 and far cry. it was just standard. perfect dark was a much better game.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Nothing. The second-most overrated game ever behind Bioshock.

You shut your whore mouth. Bioshock is awesome.
Quote by destroy_techno
Sorry what?

There were numerous FPS's before it mate

no he meant the first time mircosoft fooled millions of kids to buy into the hype of a console game.
The most badass Character ever.

The Masterchief.

Atleast that made it great for me.
Gear:
1991 Gibson Flying V
Roland Cube 20X
Yes very over-rated, but when i first played it idk 8 years ago when ever the original xbox came out it was pretty sweet... great ai and story funny lan partys with friends.

And remember it was a launch title to...that was actually good.
It was the first great multiplayer console FPS. The first one you could get mates round and have a great splitscreen/lan game with and have a laugh whilst youre at it. You can mess about far more in halo than other FPS games. Me and my brother must have spent about 30 minutes in co op just repeatively killing each other, etc.
Quote by StonaLemons
It was the first great multiplayer console FPS. The first one you could get mates round and have a great splitscreen/lan game with and have a laugh whilst youre at it. You can mess about far more in halo than other FPS games. Me and my brother must have spent about 30 minutes in co op just repeatively killing each other, etc.

..What about Goldeneye?

I was never that big into halo, but the mt. dew based on it was amazing.
Quote by StonaLemons

Golden Eye, Perfect Dark.
2 titles that were much more fun.
Quote by Spamwise
..What about Goldeneye?

I was never that big into halo, but the mt. dew based on it was amazing.

We never had an N64 good point i guess though
You only think Halo "is the best and it revolutionized the industry" if you've only been a console gamer all your life.

As a long time PC FPS player when I picked up Halo for the 1st time I was bored shitless.

Aside from the vehicles it was about as generic as generic gets.

But hey, console gamers still get stiffies over Goldeneye which is even more over rated, so what do ya expect?
Quote by happytimeharry
You shut your whore mouth. Bioshock is awesome.

Please, System Shock 2 was and still is far better and it's nearly 10 years old!

Bioshock = Boring gameplay mechanics and predictable story. The graphics are nice though.
Quote by freedoms_stain
You only think Halo "is the best and it revolutionized the industry" if you've only been a console gamer all your life.

As a long time PC FPS player when I picked up Halo for the 1st time I was bored shitless.

But hey, console gamers still get stiffies over Goldeneye which is even more over rated, so what do ya expect?

goldeneye was fun dude...
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

...yeeup
People needed justification for wasting money on an xbox, Halo was that justification.
Fanboy hype and marketing.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by Blackbullet
Fanboy hype and marketing.

This sums up what I would have said entirely.
The Halo series is general is just terrible.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
absolutely nothing, it was mediocre at best. the unreal tournament series blows it away in every aspect
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Legions of raving, drooling fans who don't know what Half-Life 2 is.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by skater dan0
absolutely nothing, it was mediocre at best. the unreal tournament series blows it away in every aspect

+1

Although, Halo 3 4 players split screen can be pretty fun.
But I prefer to play COD4 online TBH.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by freedoms_stain

And you're completely wrong. You're about as generic as every PC player that cries PC's are better for everything.
It had an in depth story (albeit complicated at times), great gameplay, strange characters, plot twists, and a hero who wasn't silent.

There are better games, but Halo has a special place in my heart.
Last edited by HelpTravesty at Feb 26, 2009,