I have a Line 6 Spider II 212 150w and Ive been using a beginners Ibanez with it for a number of years. I finally decided to upgrade my guitar because (I thought) the pickups sounded terrible matched with my guitar. So I recently purchased a Washburn Paul Stanley signature and tested and purchased it out of a local Guitar Center and it sounded great with alot of their amps (One of which was a Spider III). When I finally plugged it in at home, it sounded exactly (if not worse) than my old guitar. Im not sure what I can do, I also have the suspicion that it might be my cables too (I have a Monster cable and a couple low quality ones running through some pedals.). Is there anything I can purchase to maybe upgrade my amp to get a better sound? Or what else do you have as suggestions. Much thanks
Last edited by jaketerminate at Feb 26, 2009,
oh god, your gonna be bombarded with GET A NEW AMP comments

try plugging your guitar directly into the amp using the monster cable if it sounds better to you then your crappy cables need to be changed.

Let the flames begin.

Honestly, now that you have a nice guitar, try saving up for a new amp. It'll do wonders for your tone. You've got the process a bit backwards by buying the guitar first, though.

And as the other guy said, try going directly in with the monster.

And be aware that modeling amps tend to not notice subtle differences in pickups.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

Honestly, now that you have a nice guitar, try saving up for a new amp. It'll do wonders for your tone. You've got the process a bit backwards by buying the guitar first, though.

+1 Save up as much as you can and then start a new thread, or if you already have a good amount of money answer these questions;

Budget?
Playing style?
Gigging?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by Slayerdeath

try plugging your guitar directly into the amp using the monster cable if it sounds better to you then your crappy cables need to be changed.

What he /\ Said
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by aradroxar
+1 Save up as much as you can and then start a new thread, or if you already have a good amount of money answer these questions;

Budget?
Playing style?
Gigging?

My budget right now is probably ~$400-500
I play alot of Drop D and C so like a lot of TDWP and BFMV
Im just getting into doing gigs Ive done one or two already
Last edited by jaketerminate at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by jaketerminate
My budget right now is probably ~$400-500
I play alot of Drop D and C so like a lot of TDWP and BFMV
Im just getting into doing gigs Ive done one or two already

B-52 AT-112, Randall RG-50TC, Used Mesa F-30 or F-50, Used Bugera 6262

Don't judge me.
B-52 AT-112, Randall RG-50TC, Used Mes...oh wait

Quote by theoreticmusic

...yeah
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
Quote by theoreticmusic

Why so expensive for such low wattage? Do they sound amazing?
They're all tube amps. Any one of those will have more usable volume than your spider.

Don't judge me.
Quote by jaketerminate

High wattage does NOT mean better. Remember that and implant it in your head like it's your life. =]

Yes those amps listed DO sound amazing. I reccomend selling your spider for whatever you can to increase your budget, then you could afford something a bit better and maybe more powerful if you want it.
Sweet.
Also check out the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo that's coming out soon. It will be priced around 500$ as far as I know.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by hansolo1106
Also check out the Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo that's coming out soon. It will be priced around 500$ as far as I know.

Closer to 600. But definitely worth it if you play just metal. The others are more versatile.

Don't judge me.
Quote by jaketerminate

The Budda Superdrive 18w is $1300-ish new. Price is not proportional to wattage, nor is wattage proportional to sound quality.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??