Hey guys i got a 12 string about a year ago and i just realized a few months ago it probably wasn't that smart a buy. I don't really play it all that much, it's too loud and blah blah blah.

Ok so on to the actual question. Would it be safe to take off all the octave strings and just have the guitar have 6 strings? or would the uneven tension warp the guitar after a while...
would i have to make adjustments to the truss rod? if so how do i do that, and should i be doing it?
Since the octave strings are so thin, I doubt it'd make a huge tension difference. But you'd probably want to loosen up to the truss rod a bit so it doesn't bend your neck backwards.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Im not exactly sure about the specifics, but yes it's safe. Ari Picker of Lost in the Trees has made his 12string a 6string, i think mainly to make finger picking a lot easier.
Quote by master
Yep. It was my birthday and I was wanking in my room and all of a sudden my whole family came jumping in yelling "SURPRISE!!" I guess they were the ones who ended up being surprised.
Quote by HeliuM
But you'd probably want to loosen up to the truss rod a bit so it doesn't bend your neck backwards.

do i use an alan key? and do i rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?
Quote by Dr. House
Sell it and buy a 6 string.

This.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I'm more leaning towards an answer that doesn't involve leaving the house... Something that requires the bare minimum movement. I just went and got my acoustic so I don't really plan on moving in the next couple hours
Quote by church773
I'm more leaning towards an answer that doesn't involve leaving the house... Something that requires the bare minimum movement. I just went and got my acoustic so I don't really plan on moving in the next couple hours

ebay or craigslist
sell it buy a 6 string
/thread
Gear

Jarrett Custom Les Paul
Epiphone Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore AS73
its safe. eddie van halens first guitar was a 12 string that he took half the strings off to make it into a 6 string. or if it wasnt his first, it was one of his first ones. you just would then have to do a full set-up to adjust for the loss of tension and such, but it can be done.
It'll be a 6 string with a thick neck, the neck is wider to fit the octave strings. If this is ok with you, go for it.

Personally, I'd sell it. Or keep it until you realize you like 12 strings, I don't have one and I want one badly! You could mail it to me?