Squier. stop. hating. it. acronym for thread name

I went to a music store to buy strings, as a habit I always take some guitar and play around with it. So yesterday I decided to play a Fender Standard Stratocaster. After ten minutes, I took a Squier Bullet Strat (as the brand name says). Again after about ten min I stopped, I went to the clerk and asked what strings they put on those two they said Fender Bullets, stock. Now the reason I stopped playing was because. Those two guitars both went out of tune, a Fender couldnt stand up to a Squier! Also to mention the Squier pickups had more volume and tone to them had a more comfortable neck, then the Fender! Now either my ears are dead, and my hands are deformed or the extra price add is for a brand name product.
Now I didn't make this thread for attention or to cause a riot about Fender being worse or better than Squier. No, I made this thread for serious discussion, not for flaming banning or any other negative action.
So as you pit'ers say:
DISCUSS
Uh, preference is preference. lemons are lemons. etc, etc, etc. these threads are pointless.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I think this argument can be made with the MIM versus MIA but squier... come one. The action alone sets the standard far above. Not to mention I don't know what you consider tone, or what you were playing it through (on an MG they probably do sound the same) but the difference in tone between a MIA strat and a Squier, particularly bullet, are huge. As for holding tune, I'm sure they werent set up yet, which would cause that. I agree that alot of times you pay more for brand... but theres a BIG difference between those two, not just subtleties.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Well, actually I was playing it through a small orange, the shop doesnt sell Marshal amplification
Oh, I read the whole thing, but it doesn't change my opinion. Of course there's a slight markup on the MIM because of the Fender on the headstock, but come on...who really cares? Most people around here aren't squier bashers. You can make any guitar with decent body wood into a solid guitar.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Haedadru

I went to a music store to buy strings, as a habit I always take some guitar and play around with it. So yesterday I decided to play a Fender Standard Stratocaster. After ten minutes, I took a Squier Bullet Strat (as the brand name says). Again after about ten min I stopped, I went to the clerk and asked what strings they put on those two they said Fender Bullets, stock. Now the reason I stopped playing was because. Those two guitars both went out of tune, a Fender couldnt stand up to a Squier! Also to mention the Squier pickups had more volume and tone to them had a more comfortable neck, then the Fender! Now either my ears are dead, and my hands are deformed or the extra price add is for a brand name product.
Now I didn't make this thread for attention or to cause a riot about Fender being worse or better than Squier. No, I made this thread for serious discussion, not for flaming banning or any other negative action.
So as you pit'ers say:
DISCUSS

think you hit the nail right on the head. now im gonna go out on a limb and say you were playing through a low end amp, and as for the tuning you dont know how new the strings were on the fender, might have still been stretching, thats not a fair test.
as to the pickups being louder, thats idiotic, if you raise the pickups on the fender they will be louder too (although i dont see this making a massive differencein terms of playabilty unless they were crazy quiet. )

now! ill be the first to say squier make some good guitars, however you have no accurate information to make a detailed comparison of the two brands.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Uh, preference is preference. lemons are lemons. etc, etc, etc. these threads are pointless.

correct

this will get nasty

you cant really judge shop floor guitars, theyll all have horrible strings and most likely a poxy factory setup
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I have played an old Japanese or Mexican? Squire that was nicer than most USA strats, but I would take the Fender every time.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 26, 2009,
I have a Deluxe Lonestar strat and a Squier Bullet (heavily modding) and the differences are huge.
The Lonestar has great action, neck, pickups, tone, it has it all.
The Squier isnt bad, dont get me wrong, but doesnt hold a candle to the Fender. After I mod it, itll hold its weight much better, but not til then.

Preference is preference, but quality is quality
^ Ya thats the only real argument here... Squiers CAN BE as good or even better than strats with minimal customization. Tuners, pickups, possibly a bridge, all money well spent. Go back to the store and give a tuner on the Squier a quarter turn, then do the same on the MIM Strat... the difference in quality is very clear here.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
If what you say is true, you might have played the nicest Squier to ever be released. I had a similar experience with a Mexican Strat once. Imagine this scenario: On that fateful day at the Squier factory, all the parts to be fitted to that one guitar just happened to be manufactured to their nominal dimensions. The Fender you played was manufactured to the outer limits of its tolerances. Both being Strats, their dimensions are probably identical, however the Squier was made right on size whereas the Fender was a bit sloppy. It could happen, theoretically.
I smell epicness...run
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Quote by tanman
If what you say is true, you might have played the nicest Squier to ever be released. I had a similar experience with a Mexican Strat once. Imagine this scenario: On that fateful day at the Squier factory, all the parts to be fitted to that one guitar just happened to be manufactured to their nominal dimensions. The Fender you played was manufactured to the outer limits of its tolerances. Both being Strats, their dimensions are probably identical, however the Squier was made right on size whereas the Fender was a bit sloppy. It could happen, theoretically.

That sounds reasonable to me.
^True, quality control isnt great on MIMs you could have played a ****ty MIM and a normal Squier.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ok now all we need is for prognut to show up and tell me what a retard I am for saying that and I think this thread is just about complete.
Quote by tanman

hey it happens
i tried out two ibanex xpt 700s...... and the one i bought was way better than the other one in terms of quality tuners, a better locking nut, et cetera
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
You should buy the guitar that feels right to you. Cost is not always indicative of quality by any means. ( I realize the ts isn't buying, I'm just making a point before the flame war commences)
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
To tubetime86: I have played several American Strats which had huge diffrences than squiers, so the thread is abour MIM strats vs Squier strats
To theoreticmusic: Thank you for bothering to read the whole thing and your open opinion
To stephen_rettie: I was playing a small orange, BTW(as you say here) im not deformed and im quite healthy, thank you very much
This is an EG forum topic, anyway.

Don't judge me.
I don't ever see Squier bashing on UG. I dunno why this thread exists.

Some may dislike squire, they probably will dislike Fender also.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I don't ever see Squier bashing on UG. I dunno why this thread exists.

Some may dislike squire, they probably will dislike Fender also.

+1

Don't judge me.
Probably should have added more to my statement in saying that, when people bash squire, chances are they're new to guitar, and love to play metal. At first they think the squire is fine until they learn about hardware. As soon as they hear humbuckers are ideal for metal thats when they're all like fvck this guitar.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Probably should have added more to my statement in saying that, when people bash squire, chances are they're new to guitar, and love to play metal. At first they think the squire is fine until they learn about hardware. As soon as they hear humbuckers are ideal for metal thats when they're all like fvck this guitar.

I'm not new to guitar, but I do mainly play metal. However I will admit that Squires are decent guitars and are great for modding.
Quote by Haedadru
To tubetime86: I have played several American Strats which had huge diffrences than squiers, so the thread is abour MIM strats vs Squier strats
To theoreticmusic: Thank you for bothering to read the whole thing and your open opinion
To stephen_rettie: I was playing a small orange, BTW(as you say here) im not deformed and im quite healthy, thank you very much

small orange? which one? the crush is still a low end amp, tiny terror would be decent. this thread is pointless, and there are no more points to be brought to the table, people who bash on squiers are wrong like everyone else who bashes on an entire company, theres always going to be at least one half decent guitar, but to say a squier bullet is better then a MIM after 10 mins of playing through an amp you are not familiar with is retarded.
^ Exactly. You make no sense, you admit Americans are way better than Squier, and that some MIM's equal MIA's in quality, yet you think Squires are better than MIM?

MIA > Squier
MIA >/= MIM
Squier > MIM?

Not too into logic are you?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You always get good and bad guitars within the same model. For example you might have tried a good Squire and a bad Fender. That said it's all subjective so discussion is pointless.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
to be honest a strat will stay in tune much better than the squier bullet. It could have been set up bad at the store. This honestly sounds like one of those threads where someone either just bought a bullet or wants one because they don't have the money for the real thing and they start a thread to try to not feel bad about it and convince other people that a 100 dollar guitar vs the real thing. Keep in mind.... It's a low quality copy of the real thing. It's not as great of a guitar. The pickups do not sound as good either.
Well its possible. A couple of years ago I was looking for an SSS strat type guitar. I started trying the MIM standard strats most of them had sharp frets and that matt or unfinshed neck. I played some squires at the same time along with some Tokais. I prefered the feel of the squires over the MIM standard strats I don't thing there is much in it in terms of the pickups they both have cheap pickups. I even commented to the store guy about the state of some of those MIM necks even he agreed with me. In terms of overal feel I prefere and d went for the Tokai. Well sometime last year I was checking out a blues junior and grabbed a strat of the wall. Sea foam green it was I thought it was USA vintage reissue or something it felt so good after playing it for a while I decided to check the price. Just 595 euros. It was a MIM classic 50s strat it was a world apart from the MIM standards I tried before. It renewed my interest in the cheaper fenders and at the end of last year I bought the 60s classic player strat.
well, to start, small orange screams crush to me. and that isnt a good amp to be determining anything from. its a practice amp, so its going to be very bland in terms of tone, so it kinda pushes everything towards the middle end soundwise. second, fender bullets arent great strings. i bought them when i first started playing because i figured fender would have made good strings, but these days i dont think i would ever go back. then we come to the fact that the strings could have been either really new or really old. either way, not going to hold tune as well as they normally would. then theres the setup, etc, etc.

point is, floor models of guitars usually get beat on a bit, especially those in reach of people on the floor. and if the staff isnt maintaining those guitars, i wouldnt really expect them to hold tune all that well anyway.

now, with that out of the way, squiers can be nice guitars. and MIM fenders can be bad guitars. a squire with a good neck can be set up to play very well, and with a simple upgrade of the electronics they make very playable guitars. however, most of them dont have very good necks and the construction quality can be shoddy. same goes with MIM fenders, but they tend to be better build quality and have better necks. still get some bad ones, but its usually a better chance of getting one that is at least decent. squiers are nice cheap guitars, but a really good squier strat wont be as good as a really good MIM strat. a really good squire can be better than low end or some middle ground MIMs though. just depends on the exact guitar you are playing.
I've had my MIM Std. Strat since last year, and I've been playing guitar for 5 years now. I went to the store to check out some cheap Squiers and was impressed with a Bullet Strat I tested so I went ahead and bought it. Tuners are crap, but with new ones, and some work filing down the fret ends the Bullet will compare easily to a MIM Strat. If you find a good Bullet, you can end up with a great playing guitar with a nice neck and decent pups. Add in new pups to the Bullet (which you'd probably do for a MIM too...) and you'll have a great guitar for little cash.

I don't see anything wrong with saying a Bullet can be as good or better than a MIM. I've tested both and I know it to be true.
To MESAexplorer: Yeah i guess how that squier hate starts
To stephen_rettie: Dude chill this aint for bashing and hating, this is a serious discusion
To tubetime86: Thank you for your opinion, and for respecting mine
To hcsn2008: Im not saying that Squier > Fender im saying that Some Squier's > Some Fenders
To stujomo & jof1029: Exactly my point of view
To Bling Dogg: Thank you for agreeing
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I'm not new to guitar, but I do mainly play metal. However I will admit that Squires are decent guitars and are great for modding.

Thats my point.

Someone new will automatically negate single coils for metal due to the fact that humbuckers are more prominent.

I have a friend selling a Squire strat for $100, I'm thinking about picking it up to mod as well

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer

Someone new will automatically negate single coils for metal due to the fact that humbuckers are more prominent.

I have a friend selling a Squire strat for $100, I'm thinking about picking it up to mod as well

I guess I'm one of those people. I just prefer the buckers for it. I will admit that the singles can get there though.
And you should. I have 2 mod'd squiers and love them both dearly. I always say if it gets a ding or bumped - it's not going to be the end of the world. If I had a MIA strat and that happened I'd be uber pissed.
Quote by Haedadru

So as you pit'ers say:
DISCUSS

Indeed they are.

The neck is very subjective, some people like Wizards, I despise them, some people hate thick necks, I love them, so on so forth. Tone is as subjective. And a Bullet? Come on man. If you said Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified it'd be believable, but Bullet? This seems trolly to me.

I own a MIM Standard, but it's not exactly stock and wasn't when I bought it used, so I can't judge it against Squiers. Still, Squiers, especially Bullets, to me, there just isn't a comparison between a MIM and a Squier except for a few gems of the higher-end ones, and even then, spend $200 or so more and you can get Texas Specials stock, which to my ears are some of the best pickups since the Wide-Range was invented in the late 60's/early 70's, and the humbucker before that, and the single-coil before that.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
I guess I'm one of those people. I just prefer the buckers for it. I will admit that the singles can get there though.
And you should. I have 2 mod'd squiers and love them both dearly. I always say if it gets a ding or bumped - it's not going to be the end of the world. If I had a MIA strat and that happened I'd be uber pissed.

What did you do to mod them? Neck, pickups, adjusting, etc...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
What did you do to mod them? Neck, pickups, adjusting, etc...

Swapped all the pups in both, had shielding added in the cavity of the strat and an orange drop added. (My tech suggested this - I'm clueless to what an orange drop does but hey - ignorance is bliss right?) The neck was fine on one, the other needed a twist. I reset the intonation, which both were way off. I was going to have the pots replaced at some point and a mod on the '51 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think they both play great and sound 10x better than they did stock. I'll put my affinity with golds up against any MIM strat stock for tone. (I'm not trying to start a fight here anyone, it's my opinion). Fwiw, I do like MIM tele necks quite a lot. I'm considering putting one on my squier strat mostly for the maple board, I just love those.