So I've been floating around here for about a month asking for advice and I think I'm ready to buy. I want a tube amp. Currently, I have 2 guitars. I have a Les Paul Studio and a Schecter C-1 Plus with Seymour Duncan Jazz in neck and JB in bridge. I'm part of a band now and I need a tube amp. I'm looking to spend up to $800 for an amp, ($900 if it's really worth the money) for an amplifier.

I play mostly blues and jazz. Sparkling cleans are a MUST and I would ideally like a decent amount of clean headroom. When I distort, I like to dial in a Slash/Velvet Revolver sound. I have a Fulltone Fulldrive so the amp does not need to have a beastly overdrive, but it should be able to take pedals well. Lastly, I would like a powerful amp. I have to compete with drummer that plays loud as fark. It doesn't have to be mind-blowingly loud as I can mic it up, but it should be able to hold it's own during practice.

Here are some amps I have been looking at
Vox AC15 (I'm also trying to find a used AC30 for cheap)
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Peavey Classic 50
Crate V50 (Or Palomino V50)

With that, does UG have any suggestions for me? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I prefer combo amps but I will take all suggestions
Last edited by ghiyath at Feb 26, 2009,
AC30 or Classic 50. Will you buy used? If so, nearest major city?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I'm thinking used Super or Twin Reverb. craigslist man, craigslist...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I'm thinking used Super or Twin Reverb. craigslist man, craigslist...

+1. Twin Re has GODLY cleans and massive headroom.

Don't judge me.
used marshall jcm?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Your love of sparkly cleans screams Fender, but the Slash tone is built around a Marshall... is the Fulldrive a Marshall overdrive? (what I mean is, does the overdrive try to sound like a Marshall?) If it is, you might wanna try it out, see if it gets you the distortion you want on something like a Deluxe Reverb, or a Hot Rod.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Deluxe Reverb does not have what I would consider "a decent amount of headroom."

I'd go for a Super Reverb.
Quote by Cutlass_253
Your love of sparkly cleans screams Fender, but the Slash tone is built around a Marshall... is the Fulldrive a Marshall overdrive? (what I mean is, does the overdrive try to sound like a Marshall?) If it is, you might wanna try it out, see if it gets you the distortion you want on something like a Deluxe Reverb, or a Hot Rod.

The way I described it was a bit off. The Fulldrive gets me the sound I want on most tube amps that i've tried (from friends and such) so the overdrive on the amp isn't all that necessary. And marshalls are pretty pricey. But I think I will look into a used Twin Reverb if I can get one. I heard those things are heavy as hell.
Quote by ghiyath
The way I described it was a bit off. The Fulldrive gets me the sound I want on most tube amps that i've tried (from friends and such) so the overdrive on the amp isn't all that necessary. And marshalls are pretty pricey. But I think I will look into a used Twin Reverb if I can get one. I heard those things are heavy as hell.

Ok, kool. Now THAT'S headroom, lol. I know those go around on craigslist all the time where I'm from.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
Ok, kool. Now THAT'S headroom, lol. I know those go around on craigslist all the time where I'm from.

More clean headroom than a hair salon on Rodeo Drive. That's why I rec'd it. Though my first choice and rec is the Super Reverb. Twins are more common on the used market though.
Quote by theoreticmusic
AC30 or Classic 50. Will you buy used? If so, nearest major city?

I'm in the city of boston (no car, at college) but when I'm home I'm in New Jersey, close to the GW bridge so NYC is accessible.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/msg/1049635271.html Ka-boom.
or
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1047737461.html another one a little cheaper.

I realize you can't go buy it today - but these are the kinds of adds I'd respond to. Wow, there's a pro-sonic too. OK - this is giving me gas, I have to stop. Good luck TS! Study hard.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/msg/1049635271.html Ka-boom.
or
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/1047737461.html another one a little cheaper.

I realize you can't go buy it today - but these are the kinds of adds I'd respond to. Wow, there's a pro-sonic too. OK - this is giving me gas, I have to stop. Good luck TS! Study hard.

You want to see something incredible?
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/1048210205.html

oh boy. a $600 silverface? I think i'm in love...
That's a nice deal. Can you pull this off now or do you have to wait? That's win right there.
Quote by gregs1020
That's a nice deal. Can you pull this off now or do you have to wait? That's win right there.

I'm going home on saturday so i already emailed him asking for a chance to demo. I can't wait to plug my Les Paul into that thing.
Quote by ghiyath
I'm going home on saturday so i already emailed him asking for a chance to demo. I can't wait to plug my Les Paul into that thing.

Good luck with that! You must come back and do a "new amp day" thread once you have her. Pics and clips are a must, although I failed epically at posting clips. I hope it works out for you.
Quote by gregs1020
although I failed epically at posting clips.

+1. haha.

Don't judge me.
Quote by gregs1020
Good luck with that! You must come back and do a "new amp day" thread once you have her. Pics and clips are a must, although I failed epically at posting clips. I hope it works out for you.

haha will do friend. I've always wanted a twin reverb since I knew what tube amp was. Back when i first played guitar I was listening to avenged sevenfold and atreyu and I was always thinking "OMG MARSHALL LINE6 KRANK AMPS RAWKZ!!!" but now i'm listening to bb king, t-bone walker, and Wes Montgomery, and tons of other blues and classic rock artists.

now the question is, do i get the 65' reissue or the vintage 72 silverface? i don't know, i'm kind of afraid of getting a 37 year old amp.
The add states this.
RECENT SPRAGUE CAP JOB, NEW JJ TUBE SET, NEW CHROME CORNERS, CHASSIS STRAPS AND HANDLE. JUST BLACKFACED.
But that is a decision only you can make.
Quote by gregs1020
The add states this.
RECENT SPRAGUE CAP JOB, NEW JJ TUBE SET, NEW CHROME CORNERS, CHASSIS STRAPS AND HANDLE. JUST BLACKFACED.
But that is a decision only you can make.

My one concern is the amp failing. But the deal is right, especially if he is telling the truth about having it recently blackfaced. I think i'll go for that one. Prepare for an amp day post from me sometime soon!
the SF already lasted 36 years, chances are it'll last at least 36 more

used to have much higher worksmanship
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
wow man, good luck thats quite a score
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ghiyath
My one concern is the amp failing. But the deal is right, especially if he is telling the truth about having it recently blackfaced. I think i'll go for that one. Prepare for an amp day post from me sometime soon!

One of the beautiful things about old tubes amps is most everything on it can be replaced for a reasonable amount of money. Also, besides the tubes and if abused the speakers, the components are pretty tough.
Quote by Chetbango
One of the beautiful things about old tubes amps is most everything on it can be replaced for a reasonable amount of money. Also, besides the tubes and if abused the speakers, the components are pretty tough.

in this case, the speakers are original. The capacitor was replaced and so were the tubes. the chrome corners were replaced as well. So hopefully this amp is in good condition and I will be able to get it.
How does the Twin Reverb take to pedals? I would assume that it's good at it. Also, he says it's been "blackfaced" does that mean he had it rewired to sound like a blackface?
Quote by ghiyath
How does the Twin Reverb take to pedals? I would assume that it's good at it. Also, he says it's been "blackfaced" does that mean he had it rewired to sound like a blackface?

It loves pedals and yes, blackfacing it means it was re-wired, capped etc to sound like a blackface.
Quote by gregs1020
It loves pedals and yes, blackfacing it means it was re-wired, capped etc to sound like a blackface.

ok thanks. my friend told me to beware of twins that have the "master volume" switch on them since they are less desirable. but if it was blackfaced then it should not be a big deal.
Quote by ghiyath
ok thanks. my friend told me to beware of twins that have the "master volume" switch on them since they are less desirable. but if it was blackfaced then it should not be a big deal.

I have heard and read the same thing about master volume twins. Iirc, the master volume was added in 1973, so the twin you are looking at shouldn't have one.

I pulled this quote off wiki. Some 72's had a master.
From about 1973 forward, a master volume with pull-boost (on a push-pull control) became a standard feature on all dual-channel silverfaced Fender models (usually known as "master volume" amps). Original master volume amps from late 1972 were made for a short time without that "pull boost" circuit on the master volume control.
The picture of the amp shows that it has a master volume. If it is there and it was blackfaced, does that mean it is negligible?
Quote by ghiyath
The picture of the amp shows that it has a master volume. If it is there and it was blackfaced, does that mean it is negligible?

Well that would depend on to what degree the mods were made. I'm not an expert at "blackfacing master volume twins" by any means. I originally thought the 72's were pre-master volume but as we found in the wiki, some 72's had it and you noticed that - good eye. (I'd of gone, checked it out and noticed it then, and faced this dilemma in front of the guy. lol) Either way it doen't mean it's not a decent amp though. Check the prices of 72 and 73 master volume twins and see if it's in line with those. (ebay for example) If it's not "the one" for you I wouldn't sweat it, these "deals" on clist are there almost every day, trust me on this one. (Farking craigslist so farking addicting). Sometimes you may have to troll a little while but it's always been worth it to me. I'd go check it out either way, as long as you know what it's worth on the open market you won't overpay. You may love the thing, tone and preference being subjective to everyone. You may not like it and keep looking, nothing ventured...