I'm playing an Ibanez RG Prestige thru an MXR six band eq into a Peavey Valveking 112. When my eq is bypassed there is a slight amount of what I describe as a hissing sound. It's hardly noticeable and I consider it to be acceptable, but when my eq is engaged the hiss becomes incredibly loud and is accompanied by a popping/crackling sound. I have my eq set to boost mids. Oh and btw the nasty popping/crackling sound is only present if I am using the distortion built into my amp. If I use my metal muff+the eq it sounds great. Anyways would I be better off getting a noise gate or a noise suppressor and what's the difference? Or should I try the EHX Hum Debugger? Or is there some other problem? From what I've read/seen so far I like the ISP Decimator and I'm mildly interested in the Hum Debugger. Thanks for reading!
yeah those should all work.. im sure if you go into daddys or guitarcenter where ever you shop they can help you out and you can try them out
Do you have an effects loop? Have you tried putting it there? Might help.

How high are you boosting the mids? (I have the same eq, well at least the newest one, pushing them up to the top will give you a lot of noise)

If not, the ISP gets great reviews.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Get the ISP...if you can afford it get the G-string version...you can run it in your signal path and effects loop to kill the noise from both areas.
How do you stop unwanted noise? tell the bassist to stop playing. oh wait... i am a bassist. crap...
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
If I'm right, you probably have your Big Muff before your EQ, and both in front of your amp, so when you turn on the big muff, the eq boosts the already compressed and distorted sound, but when you turn on the eq in fron of the amps distortion it magnifies the click of the switch, which is usually not audible when you have the big muff engaged.

See what I'm saying?

The noise comes from the eq. When you distort your signal with the big muff, it overpowers the noise from the eq. When you distort it with your amp, it MAGNIFIES your noise.

This is all speculation of course.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Yeah, I have an ISP up front and a NS-2 in the loop.

I think I just heard a pin drop.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION