I'm looking for some new songs that use a slide. I know of a couple songs like Scar Tissue by RHCP and What Is and What Should Never Be by Led Zep that use them in their solos but I want to find a couple more. I'm more interested in classic rock-type music but do like some modern rock similar to RHCP so basically any suggestions would be more than welcome. And I did search bar this. No results for anything that I didn't already know.
the best slide isn't in that genre, but check out Doug Martsch's solo album "Now You Know" songs like "window" and "instrumental" are good songs with slide
In my time of dying by leppelin, bad horsie by steve vai, check out the allman brothers,
umm...FREE BIRD?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Look up 'Blues'

Then try to learn slide.

Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James and Johnny Shines will teach all there is to know about slide.

For newer stuff, look into Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes.

A good song to learn: Give Me Back My Wig- Hound Dog Taylor.
Quote by imgooley
Look up 'Blues'

Then try to learn slide.

Hound Dog Taylor, Elmore James and Johnny Shines will teach all there is to know about slide.

This man is uber wise to the ways of the slides. + 1000
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Duane Allman, the Allman Bros.
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
One of the sexiest slide parts I have ever heard comes out of the song What Is And What Should Never Be by Led Zeppelin.

Awesome song, check it out. The slide part is easy but (as previously stated) very sexy.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Allman Brothers!

Duane Allman was one of the most talented people to ever pick up a slide. There are countless amounts of old blues songs that involve slide, check out Taj Mahal.

If you haven't heard of Derek Trucks, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up one of his albums, ('Songlines' is a good place to start) though it may be a while before you'll be able to keep up with him!
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
Check out Ry Cooder, Billy Gibbons (Z.Z. Top), Duane Allman (The Allman Brothers Band) and Sonny Landreth.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by hendriko
umm...FREE BIRD?

Yeah, that one's obvious. I dunno how I missed mentioning that.
Quote by Denthrare
One of the sexiest slide parts I have ever heard comes out of the song What Is And What Should Never Be by Led Zeppelin.

Awesome song, check it out. The slide part is easy but (as previously stated) very sexy.

Did you even bother reading my original post?

And to those (many) of you who are suggesting Derek Trucks, I'm def. gonna check him out. I can't ignore that when half of this thread is highly recommending him.

Thanks to everyone.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
see: Derek Trucks

^+36549

His tone is so good you'll cry.
Sig What?
Obviously, Derek Trucks is a must. Warren Haynes as well.

Robert Johnson is a must if you want to hear some very early slide. Muddy Waters has some good stuff.

Believe it or not, Keith Richards has some nice slide work on some of the early Rolling Stones albums.

Elmore James is always good, and Duane Allman gives you an updated version of that.
"Live At The Fillmore East" is an amazing record for learning slide.

Sonny Landreth is interesting, as well. He plays in open E minor, which means you leave the G string alone instead of tuning up to G#. He frets notes BEHIND his slide alot, which sounds amazing.

"Tush" by ZZ Top has a slide solo, if I'm not mistaken.

Led Zeppelin- "When The Levee Breaks"

George Thorogood does some great slide work (think "who do you love" from the sam adams commercials)

Look up "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" It's the original lineup of the band back when they were a blues group in england in the late 60s. It also has some good slide work

Bonnie Raitt, Keb Mo, Taj Mahal are also great
Quote by ShredGod George
Johnny Winter, Duane Allman

yes johnny winter is amazing soooo good, probaly one of my favorite blues players, but one of goerge harrisons songs has some pretty easy slide parts in it, it could be "sweet lord" but im not 100% that its the song im thinkin of but im pretty sure
Anything by ry cooder is pretty sweet. check out "feelin bad blues". you'll find a million people playing it on youtube but it's a nice piece of music
Hello month old bump...

Not that I mind it. I am a disciple of teh slide
a good easy one,

Big Empty by Stone Temple Pilots
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by imgooley
Look up 'Blues'

Then try to learn slide.

This.

Also look up robert johnson or if you wanna see more modern recordings look up 'eric clapton robert johnson sessions' and if you wanna see a slide guitar master then see 'roy rogers'.

Jack white also plays slide alot
Last edited by The Clerk at Mar 17, 2009,
Quote by The Clerk
Jack white also plays slide alot

yeah... but jack white sucks...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
yeah... but jack white sucks...

There's no need for that here. I'm open to just about anything as long as it has a slide.

And I greatly appreciate the bump. Lots of suggestions. It's going to take me a hell of a long time to get through it all and find what I like. Which looks like it might be everything. I've been getting into blues recently so that seems like a huge pool of potential. Once again, thanks to everyone with suggestions.

Fun Fact: I was listening to music earlier today and was surprised to hear Slash using one at ~2:15 on Rocket Queen. Never noticed that before.
Last edited by ut1390 at Mar 19, 2009,