Poll: What should i do?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should i do?
Sell Both Laneys and get a Powerball
12 60%
Keep the Laneys
8 40%
Voters: 20.
Hey chaps, as much as i love my Laneys I'm contemplating changing to an ENGL Powerball today after trying it at the shop

I believe I'll be able to get around £650 for my GH100L and VC50 and have a bit of cash saved up which would mean i could get the powerball in no time.

I play predominantly shred, heavy metal

2 fave artists are Paul Gilbert and Muse

If you were me would you?

I'll be buying the powerball NEW and running it through my Orange 2x12
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I dont think the powerball is what you want. Its got a ton of gain and crap and really aggressive and icy. Its very flat sounding and is really really frostbitten basically. I would recommend getting a VHT to be honest. If you like the powerball though, go for it. I'm not a big fan of Laney's. The Powerball is more suited towards death metal and stuff. Its a kickass head but I dont think its right for the tone youre going to want.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Both those laneys are great tbh. But I really like the powerball so i voted for that. But I'd play the powerball a few more times
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I think the laneys are probably better for what you want
The Engl is an amazing head
but its amazing for different stuff than what you play
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by theoreticmusic
I second the Fryette.

I cant believe they changed the name. Its soooo lame. VHT was so much cooler sounding.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Thanks, any more opinions?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
From your influences.....Powerball can do those and easily more.

Though not a versatile amp for lost of people - for you...yep.
Thanks Davedoom, it's just a shame the prices of the powerball have gone up to £1200 now.

How much do you think I'd be able to get for both my Laney's considering the GH100L is in great condition and the VC50 has speaker upgrade to classic lead 80's
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Some other options you might want to look into: Mesa Mark IV, Mesa dual recs, Marshall JCM 900s
Quote by tarlkea
Quote by Teh Forest King
Some other options you might want to look into: Mesa Mark IV, Mesa dual recs

Not in the UK...
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Want to go with Engl anyway

Ibanez>Dimarzio>Engl>Orange hmmmmmm
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Anyone else here have an opinion?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Do you play Classic Heavy metal? Or just heavy metal in general, as in all styles?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Having just bought a powerball, they are amazing heads. Although the prices for new in the U.K have risen even more. RRP for the head is now £1699

http://www.synergydistribution.co.uk/files/WEB%20engl-09-Jan%20.pdf

Ofcourse you can find it for cheaper if your shop around, some shops might still have it at the £1299 price of old stock (that's how i got mine)

the powerball is great for metal/death metal and having nice cleans (both glassy and smooth).
For stuff inbetween it's ok, and can do it but takes a bit of time e.q'n. Remember there's no built in FX, and if your wanting to get it sounding less compressed turn off the inbuilt noise gate!

I can't really judge on the Laney's since i've never tried them.
Last edited by vegetoe01 at Feb 27, 2009,
Have you considered an ENGL Fireball ?
Less expensive than the PB with the same basic gain voicing. Less features, but so what.
I also think the FB is a bit more raw sounding, with less of that smooth compressed tone that the PB has.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Fireball lacks the versatility the powerball offers imo
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^ yeah, probably. plus for what you want to play, that "smooth, compressed" tone which van noord is talking about is probably better- for a lot of shred you want a ton of gain and sustain, but not too modern a voicing.

do you like the powerball more than the laneys? is your liking of the powerball more than "honeymoon period"? would be worth going in to try it again, a couple of times, over a few weeks, just to be sure it's what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2009,
Think once I've got the cash I'll try it out again just to be sure, thanks dave
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
yeah, definitely try it again. even another couple of times. I always change my mind, and often find something sounds a little different the next time i go in to try it...

the other thing is, if you save up slightly longer, you could hedge your bets and sell one of the laneys and keep the other.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?