Recently I've been really wanting an iPod touch. At the moment, I have a 1st generation 30GB zune, and it works fine. The software for it sucks, though, and I have to use our old PC in order to download and transfer music. The primary computer I use now is an iMac.

I'd really like to get an iPod touch, and I could go out and buy one right now (I'm really itching to, nothing is really stopping me). A few questions I have:

Are there any alternatives to using iTunes (such as Rhapsody) where I could pay a monthly fee rather than pay for each song?

Are there any huge issues with the iPod that make the $299 for a 16gb unreasonable?

Any general complaints or praises?

EDIT: Might I add, the apps and touch screen are huge selling points for me...
and my point of view stands that iPods and Zunes are about the same in terms of just being able to play music, but the iPod has a lot more features that I really like. I also don't believe that iPods are overrated, nor are Zunes, they just happen to be the most popular brands, and you will NOT be able to convince me otherwise.

Thanks for the help.

-Joe
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Last edited by 6DgOfInTb at Feb 26, 2009,
Ipod=Overrated
Zune>Ipod
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
1) Yes, it's called uTorrent. No fee at all. Though illegal.
2) Yes there is. The fact that this beauty http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999 is the same size and is worth 179.99
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
I wish Zunes worked for Mac. It would make my life so much easier..

But yeah, iPods suck and are overpriced. I mean, seriously, 16GB for 300 dollars? That's insane.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
I'm pretty happy with my 8gb. I can't really answer your first two questions as I don't buy mp3s and I haven't had any huge issues.
There is an application for it.
Where you can wobble boobs...
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
iPods rule. I love my 32g iPod touch to bits. Fast, intuitive, cool... Definately worth the price.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I've got a sony 4G walkman mp3 player and its great. Ipods are EXTREMELY OVERRATED. I personally couldn't give two sh*ts if it has internet or games an mp3 player is for MUSIC. And for the whole downloading thing u torrent soulseek and limewire are all free
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
Personally, Id love an iPod Touch. But, the 16gb is also shared with movies/videos, games, and other stuff as well, not just music. Really, a Touch is basically an iPhone without the phone or texting parts. I think it still has Wi-fi, as well as games, maybe apps, and the other cool stuff iPhones have.

EDIT: I personally like Frostwire for downloads. It is a P2P software tho.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Feb 26, 2009,
People need to stop comparing the touch to other mp3 players. As far as I know, it is the only mp3 player that has a touch screen with wifi access and a pool of hundreds of applications that enhance its uses even more.
I have a first gen 30gb Zune and I just recently got a 32gb Touch. Even though it was pretty damn expensive, totally fucking worth it. I mostly hate iPods, but the touch is amazing.

So yea, if you have the money, get it.
your going to get a bunch of ipod hater replys
its really not unreasonable for 16gb cause you can watch movies, play games, music
everything pretty much

i say go for it
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by Shpongled
People need to stop comparing the touch to other mp3 players. As far as I know, it is the only mp3 player that has a touch screen with wifi access and a pool of hundreds of applications that enhance its uses even more.
Incorrect.

Archos.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Incorrect.

Archos.

I've looked at archos before, and yes they have some of those features but I'm not so sure about the apps resources.
Buy one. Everyone who says they're overrated is only doing so because they think that they're being cool. When the Zune gets wifi and app support, then come and yell at the ipod touch.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Buy it, go on. You might as well.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

i own one and it kicks ass. its only had two minor problems with the device. fixing them was easy. all you have to do is reset to factory settings. it backs up all your music and applications resets it and puts all your **** back on. its great, the internet is stable, itunes runs well, calculator is convintievnt(sp), games music, movies. imho i think its a great device. if i was lost i would get pretty mad.

my only gripe about it is its pretty expensive but its wroth it.
Thanks vendetta and sk8board3r, those are the kinds of responses I'm looking for. Not just "yes you should" or "no you shouldn't", but with a good description of why. Freedoms Stain, I don't plan on buying an Archos :p I DO still need to keep a somewhat reasonable price.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build