Hello all, i'm having an issue with a brand new Fender American Jaguar. I intonated the guitar dead on, on every string i'm using the mustang bridge, then tune up the guitar, sounds great untill I play a chord, it sounds way out of tune, you can really hear it playing a D. it's strung up with 9's. The pickups aren't too close to the strings I checked that. Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Truss rod adjustment. That's my bet.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
  • Make sure you're restringing the guitar correctly.
  • Are you only checking intonation at the 12th fret, or all across the fretboard?
  • Are you stretching the strings correctly?

Tuning issues can be caused be all sorts of things. Incorrect restringing, poorly cut nut, badly made bridge saddles, uneven fretwire, etc etc etc.

In this thread I, as well as others, wrote up some of the problems and how to deal with them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by strat0blaster
Truss rod adjustment. That's my bet.

Thanks for the tip, but I just checked the neck with a straight edge and it's straight as an arrow.
So after you play the chord...it's out of tune? If so, 90% of the time, lubing the nut slots will fix the problem...
Quote by matocaster
Thanks for the tip, but I just checked the neck with a straight edge and it's straight as an arrow.
Actually, that's not a good thing. There should always be a slight inwards curve on every guitar neck.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by magnido45
So after you play the chord...it's out of tune? If so, 90% of the time, lubing the nut slots will fix the problem...

No it's still in tune, sorry forgot to add that
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually, that's not a good thing. There should always be a slight inwards curve on every guitar neck.

Thanks for the tip, I put a slight inward curve in it, still having the issue, I read in the post you linked me that too low of action can be bad, well I set this thing up with very low action, like my strat actually the strat has even lower action (never had this issue with my strat but it's an original '72 it was alive 10 before I was.)
Well, action isn't often such a huge problem as this, if action is so high/low it's causing problems they're usually the kind of problems you notice constantly on every fret of every string.

Try and rule out every other problem first. Full fretboard intonation, correct restringing method, fret levelling/fret dressing, nut binding, etc etc etc.
if your chords are ringing out a bit sharp within the 1st 5 frets...it could be that the nut is cut a tad bit high...on most guitars, I would say this is normal...that's why some companies like Earvana sell compensated nuts...but filing the nut slots a bit lower will help...