When I plug my amp (Spider III 30W (LAWL!)) into my computer the recording comes out all distorted and fuzzy.

Any Help? I can upload a sample if need be...
It's probably your soundcard, this happens to me with any of my amps on this computer, on my other one which has a slightly decent soundcard, it's much clearer.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I was plugging it into my computers cases onboard port. I will try my motherboards port later because it will take a bit of shuffling around which is too much hastle atm.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by R3D XIII
I was plugging it into my computers cases onboard port. I will try my motherboards port later because it will take a bit of shuffling around which is too much hastle atm.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wait, are they both onboard cards? (IE they're part of the computer, not removable), because if so, they'll be exactly the same...
If you have the money, shell out like $100 - $150 on a decent soundcard, it'll do wonders =P
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Wait, are they both onboard cards? (IE they're part of the computer, not removable), because if so, they'll be exactly the same...
If you have the money, shell out like $100 - $150 on a decent soundcard, it'll do wonders =P

I realised that as I was away to make the transfer. lulz

I don't have the cash for that sort of investment atm. It is strange because I got a clean recording before but then it stopped working...
What output are you putting into your computer, you might be using the wrong one and have damaged your soundcard.

Like Jesstaa said, get a good soundcard. I use a Line 6 UX1 and I can get really nice tones with it (check my band profile page for examples).
I was thinking of buying a UX1....ach well. Thanks for the help you guiz!
you need to check the input levels of the soundcard, go to control panel, then sounds & audio devices, and lower the input volume of the mic input or line in (whichever one your using)
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
you need to check the input levels of the soundcard, go to control panel, then sounds & audio devices, and lower the input volume of the mic input or line in (whichever one your using)
+1 this is the correct answer. No matter how cheap your sound card you should be able to get a reasonable recording. If you are using the mic input you are probably way overdriving it. There is a selection in the control panel that toggles the gain boost on the mic. You want it off if you are using the mic port.

Capture with Audacity and you should be able to see if the waveform is clipping in the window. If you are recording stereo then it clips at -3db (where 0db is full peak) on some sound cards.
Good luck. The mp3 clip "Fun DeLay" in my profile was recorded by plugging a cheap $50 multifx (Korg AX3G) straight into the line in of a very cheap onboard sound card. Even the cheapest sound card is capable of recording without distortion. The biggest problem with cheap is the potential for some background noise (i.e. hiss).
Quote by R3D XIII
The volume idea didn't work.

try reducing the volume on the amp too, one of the older clips was recorded with a digitech RP50 borrowed from a friend plugged into my computer's soundcard and recorded with audacity. i dont see why this shouldnt work
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Feb 27, 2009,
Are you on the mic input or the line in? The mic input has 20db boost, which can be easily overdriven by a line out or headphone out.

Are you recording in stereo? Because some sound cards lose 1/2 their headroom in stereo.

Are you using an app that show the physical waveform? If so then record using a clean amp model or even on bypass and look at the waveform to see if it's clipped.