I recently switched from using normal Ernie Balls to super slinky. I noticed that when fretting chords near the nut, my fingers actually press hard enough that the strings bend and the pitch bends, creating obviously an extremely out of tune chord! So I have a few questions.

1. Is this normal? Do players using very light gauge strings just fret their chords lightly?

2. Is this an action problem? The guitar is a Schecter C-1+, and It's been set up to use normal strings, I assume. What would fix this? I can't bring the bridge down too low or else I'll get fret buzz. Is a saddle adjustment needed?

Thanks for replies.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
what your problem is, the strings are far too light for that scale length. I wouldn't go lower than 10's with a 24.75" scale.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
well. i'll answer one and say yes, fret the strings a tad lighter so they don't bend. These strings actually help me with my vibrato.
Okay, I figured that going to these 9s would be a bit too light tension for the length of this guitar.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
only if you use them for lower tunings than drop D. for anything below drop D, you're gonna want 10's
Although the strings are probably too light for the scale, you shouldn't be sending everything out of tune just by fretting. Sounds to me like you are pressing far too hard. Never press harder than you need to sound the note clearly. You don't want buzzing or anything like that but otherwise, aim for a light touch.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Although the strings are probably too light for the scale, you shouldn't be sending everything out of tune just by fretting. Sounds to me like you are pressing far too hard. Never press harder than you need to sound the note clearly. You don't want buzzing or anything like that but otherwise, aim for a light touch.

+1
Quote by Free to Guitar

+1

I use 9's and I have to press damned hard to send a note out of tune - time to inject a little finesse into your fingering.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I use 9.5 d'addario strings:P 9.0 was too thin, 10 to thick and I swear to it

sorry for my bad English
C-1 plus has jumbo frets= easier to fret, but also easier to bend out of tune bro. There lies a lot of your issue.
Quote by randomhero93
well. i'll answer one and say yes, fret the strings a tad lighter so they don't bend. These strings actually help me with my vibrato.

I get great vibrato on my 11's

Im wondering if TS used a heavier gauge before because that could explain it.

Leth_Edit: Basically Im thinking that if he was using a heavier gauge before he would need more finger strength to play that gauge and he might be trying to play lighter strings with the same pressure.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 27, 2009,