Well im taking guitar lessons and about the same time i bought a drum set and im learning that on my own and for me i progressing much faster on drums than the guitar but the guitar parts coming along too. By the way i use a double pedal.. So this for the guitar players who also like to mess around on the drums or play them seriously share your thoughts and tips.
You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
i always wanted to play the drums, but never had the space or money. now I play guitar, and doing awesome. I probably would make a pretty good drummer too... same story with Daron Malakian I think. Except his parents didnt allow him to get a drumset.
I just messed around on a keyboard I had that had a drum set on it. I figured out a basic beat and i'd never played a real drum kit before. In band practice I asked my drummer if I could have a go and I could play the beat perfectly as well as adding in some cool fills with the crash, snare and ride.

It probably has something to do with playing guitar and bass but it's really not that hard unless you can't keep a beat.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
i have a friend who is awesome at piano, drums and guitar.

so it's not impossible to do both; it's only natural that you progress faster in different areas at different times.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
my advice is do not start on double pedal if you are a beginner. wayyy too much to handle at first. it would be like getting a 7 string as your first guitar. also, try taking a lesson or two if you can.
It helps when you wanna show your retarded ass drummer what YOU want him to play. also its great because 99.9999999 percent of the world needs a drummer not another freakin guitarist.
Quote by 7StringMassacre
It helps when you wanna show your retarded ass drummer what YOU want him to play. also its great because 99.9999999 percent of the world needs a drummer not another freakin guitarist.

+9879878969868678595986986785785875

so true, it has taken my band more than a year to find an adequate drummer.
I play bass and a tad bit of guitar. But now i play all three. Drums is really fun to play. It's easy and fun to keep a straight beat. Thats all you really need. You can teach yourself from there. If you can't keep a beat you're screwed. But most musicians should be able too.. haha. I recommend everyone try unless they just don't want to?
Quote by 7StringMassacre

Dont get me started when it comes to showing drummers how they should play!
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
i'm playing a bit drums when we practice with our band.it's fun.i just improvise and keep the rhythm.sweet dreams from manson and blitzkrieg bop are fun to play
Quote by archangels666
I enjoy beating some skins every once in a while.

But my advice would be to put away the double pedal. Learn to use high hats and one kick pedal before you start cheating.

Yeah I play drums. I own a Maple M Birch kit with ZXT Pro cymbals (meh...). And an extra Mapex roto and floor tom. And a few cowbells of course

I also use china cymbals sometimes... but... hm.
I play the drums.

Quote by archangels666
...before you start cheating.

A double pedal isn't cheating, numbnuts. That'd be like saying tapping is cheating.
I'm learning drums too and it's the same for me, i'm learn alot faster than I ever did with guitar.

I could keep a beat better than the drummer we had at the time and i'd never played before FFS!
I like to mess around on drums just to get out my energy and desire to make a loud **** noise with the double bass. Its actually really fun, funner than a guitar half of the time (but I love the guitar). I usually run out of breath after like five extreme minutes. How to play them? Properly? I am not really sure. I have not yet been able to implement drums into any of my music (without the help of a friend) because I dont get it. Especially double bass.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Play both. Theres nothing wrong with being a musician not just a guitarist. You also may seem like that drums is the instrument to focus on but getting the basics of drums down hella easy compared to guitar. So just play both and have fun.
Learn swing beats and give the bass something fun to follow.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
drumming will come faster than guitar i can guarantee... just think about what is actually harder for 2 seconds
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I started drums in September and they're really fun. I take it about as serious as guitar, which is pretty much just a hobby but I still take lessons and stuff to get better. I didn't get a double bass until like 2 weeks ago though.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
drumming will come faster than guitar i can guarantee... just think about what is actually harder for 2 seconds

Guitar?

Mmhmm.
LOL double pedal is cheating if anything its harder it requires stamina like crazy and proper rhythm to keep a steady beat but yeah i ddi start with a double pedal but im pretty good with it like anything else practice helps tons i put in half hour everyday or more and even with that small amount i can see improvements in my drumming, but i still focus more on guitar thats my main thing
sure lol but jokes aside i played rockband a lot and you know what if u can play rockband drums on expert it translates to real drums too it helped for me lol
There has to be more people in this category come on share
i'm a drummer who also plays guitar.

also double pedal is anything but cheating, it requires ALOT more coordination. Whoever said that doesn't know what they're talking about.
I have been playing drums for over 10 years. They are great because you can practice really difficult beats anytime, on the bus or wherever by just tapping your hands and feet. A drum pad is good for practicing rolls quietly. Plus it makes programming them easier. I just have a Roland SPO6 to use afterwards for fills. I wish I had a full kit and a place to play them though.
i pick up a few bits here and there from the drummer in my band. so i can play a little.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by archangels666
I enjoy beating some skins every once in a while.

But my advice would be to put away the double pedal. Learn to use high hats and one kick pedal before you start cheating.

no.

using a double-kick is not cheating, just like using guitar effects is not cheating. you can only go so fast with one foot, and thus eventually will need another pedal.

What you need to do, though, is train both feet equally, so that both feet have equal speed and independancy (i.e. having the right and left foot playing different rythyms at the same time), and practice songs that only need one bass pedal with both feet, like play the whole song through using only your left foot, then again using the right foot. that way both feet with gain the same dexterity, which is invaluable when you start doing double bass blasts.
I love to play drums, but I rarely play it, because I'm not in a band right now. I wish I owned a drumkit, but I also want an expensive tube amp and a Jackson Soloist, soo.. I think I have to wait to buy a kit until I'll build my own studio! That will be a long time to wait I think..

In the meantime, I can enjoy playing AIR-drums!
yeah double pedal isnt cheating lol its actually harder what would be cheating is if one pedal did a double stroke if you know what i mean but yeah drumming is easier than guitar for me anyways but once u get more complicated with more cymbals n **** then **** gets ****ed up lol