Hey everyone, I just wanted to know exactly how much you have to pull on the bar to raise the pitch... I played on an Ibanez S, and the bridge moved very easily and smoothly... And now Im playing on my friends Schecter, with an OFR, and Im finding that the floyd rose is killing me to change the pitch.

I remembered seeing Herman Li lifting the guitar (and Ibanez S IIRC) by the bar, and the pitch increasing. When I tried that (Dont worry, I was carefull...) I found that it didnt raise the pitch to the max, or even near it. And the entire guitar (weighing much more than an S) was being lifted by the bar...

I dont know if this is 'normal' for a floyd, but I really didnt expect it to be THIS difficult to use.

My question is, is this normal? If no, how can I reduce the tension?

Its strung up with 10's by the way.

Edit: Yes the base of the bridge is parallel to the body, yes it is in tune too...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Well, its not the range Im asking sbout really, its the amount of force needed... It seems.. excessive really... And I dont think this is normal (but I dont know since this is the first time I used one... which is why Im asking.)
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
That's because you're using 10's.

Floyds work best with 9's, if you have 10's in standard tuning they'e generating more tension so the spring tension has to go up to compensate - more tension in the system means the bridge is stiffer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That's because you're using 10's.

Floyds work best with 9's, if you have 10's in standard tuning they'e generating more tension so the spring tension has to go up to compensate - more tension in the system means the bridge is stiffer.

But stiff enough to lift the entire guitar without reaching the end?
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
They can handle the abuse. I crank mine up pretty hard sometimes, right now I use 9s with standard tuning, if I set it up for D its a lot easier for sure.
lol, what Im asking is if its normal for it to require this much strength :P

But it seems Ill have to put 9s on the guitar than huh...
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Ummm yeah, with 10s it takes lots of strength to pull it up far. You could tune to D. You will have to set it up again for 9s or D by loosening the springs till the bridge is even with the body again. (there is a sticky about FR setup)
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 26, 2009,
Wow.. I cant believe I missed that Sticky...

So what I gather is, I have to sacrifice the 10s for 9s... alright.. thanks.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus

---

Female guitarist

Flickr
Last edited by KiraIBZ at Feb 26, 2009,