Hey,
I'm planning on getting a Fender bass, just a 4 string...looking at Jazz basses and the Jaguars.

In particular, I seen a £485 Mark Hoppus signature Jazz bass. Seems a good price. Anyone hadany experience with one?

I mainly play rock and punky/pop styles anyway so I guess It would suit.
In my opinion, you should get a Jaguar. That's the next electric bass I'm getting. I'm biased though, because I don't play pop punk.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
the Hoppus bass is basically a Fender Jazz body equiped with the single,
split coil pick-up of a Fender Precision. should work fine for pop/punk, etc....

Edit: Corrected!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Feb 27, 2009,
The Hoppus would be a terrific choice. It will play rock/punk/pop and a lot of other styles with ease. You may also want to consider the Frank Bello model which adds a j-pup.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
The Hoppus would be a terrific choice. It will play rock/punk/pop and a lot of other styles with ease. You may also want to consider the Frank Bello model which adds a j-pup.

And two more knobs!
Quote by Mutant Corn
I think that was the point...those are the most popular body styles, and TS wants to know which one UG thinks is coolest.zAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

edit: my cat walked across my keyboard
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the Hoppus bass is basically a Fender Jazz body and neck equiped with the single,
split coil pick-up of a Fender Precision. should work fine for pop/punk, etc....

The Hoppus bass has a P neck, not a jazz neck.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
You can use pretty much anything for rock styles. Punk, however, is almost synonymous with P-bass. Look at just about any punk bass player (no matter how "pop" the band is) and you're almost guaranteed to see a P-bass. This does NOT mean that you must use a P for punk-style music (for example, Klaus Fluoride from the Dead Kennedys uses a Jazz), but just know that there's a very large chance that the sound you associate with punk bass came from a P.

The Hoppus bass is a Jazz in name only... it has the P pickups and P neck so it's going to sound and play like a P. The only possible issue with it is that there's no tone knob, so it's not going to be very versatile. It makes one really cool sound but that's it. Whether that's a problem is up to you.
I didnt think the mark hoppus was that good to be honest,
Loads of people here had recommended it, and i played it and thought it was terrible.

You might as well just get a Highway One P-Bass.

I think the Jaguar is the best out of the ones you've mentioned, and the active electronics give you a little it more fexiblity.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Played the 'Jaguar' the other day and loved it.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
The Jaguar bass is great.

It can get all the tones you want.

I play everything from Jazz to Funk to Pop Punk to whatever you could think of.

It will handle everything.

I don't play alot of heavier, Deathy stuff. not sure how well it would do for that.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"