Hello guys,

I am struggling to improvise a solo on Blondie's Call me. The guitar solo should replace the keyboard on the chord progression:

Em Bm Em Bm F C Dm Bb G A

I play a Bm pentatonic for the first (Em Bm Em Bm) part.
Then I play a Dm pentatonic over (F C Dm Bb) followed by a G pentatonic and an A pentatonic.

However, I feel that the chord progression is calling for some particular mode or key change but I am really struggling to find it.

Any ideas to spice up this solo?
play some chromatics.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by thezack
Hello guys,

I am struggling to improvise a solo on Blondie's Call me. The guitar solo should replace the keyboard on the chord progression:

Em Bm Em Bm F C Dm Bb G A

I play a Bm pentatonic for the first (Em Bm Em Bm) part.
Then I play a Dm pentatonic over (F C Dm Bb) followed by a G pentatonic and an A pentatonic.

However, I feel that the chord progression is calling for some particular mode or key change but I am really struggling to find it.

Any ideas to spice up this solo?

You already have a key change - Bm for the first 4 chords, Dm for the rest, strongly emphasising chord tones as you go.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The key seems to change from E minor to D minor. As with any chord progression, focus on chord tones.

Edit: I guess I was beaten to it.
Last edited by werty22 at Feb 26, 2009,
How I do emphasize a chord tone during a chord progression? by focusing on the root of the chord it's being played?
Chord tones are the root, 3rd and 5th for these triads. Focus your solo on using these notes, and other passing notes rather than just pentatonic scales.
This is what I'd suggest to. When a chord progression has a bunch of key changes (and most of the time anyways) I don't even bother thinking in terms of keys and just arpeggiate and extend the chords.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.