Hey there. I am new here and wanted to start a discussion thread on music theory and when to know if you know enough about it. There is no right or wrong answer on this but would like to know what everyones opinion is on it. This isn't meant to discuss wether music theory is right or wrong but rather when do you finally put all the theory books and tab away and say you know enough to move on? Or do we as musicians keep grasping for the next new thing? How do we know when to trust ourselves on our instruments enough to just lead our own path regardless of who is playing what how fast? Thanks for reading and looking forward to the responses.
You decide when enough is enough, simple as that.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
when you know everything you need/want for what you want to play/write
sofor me it's never enough, until I understand it all
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
There is no "it all". You could spend the rest of your like evaluating one scale and never know everthing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
for me i learn whatever i can learn. im pretty much open to learn anything. well i couldnt say that a few months ago. i was narrow-minded and this slowed me down alot...

anyways, to answer your question theres no set limit. depends on the person. there are people who know nothing about theory and are perfectly fine with that and vice versa
why shouldn't you try to grasp new things. Some people who have made it in music have broken new grounds in music not just doing the same thing. Granted that a average joe guitarist is gonna need to know how to reslove a 6/4 chord in part writing. But learning this like that can never hurt. The more infomation you can pull from the better. Its up to you whether not you think knowing more is good or not.
Quote by The_Sophist
You decide when enough is enough, simple as that.

+2
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Quote by ibanezfan123
Hey there. I am new here and wanted to start a discussion thread on music theory and when to know if you know enough about it. There is no right or wrong answer on this but would like to know what everyones opinion is on it. This isn't meant to discuss wether music theory is right or wrong but rather when do you finally put all the theory books and tab away and say you know enough to move on? Or do we as musicians keep grasping for the next new thing? How do we know when to trust ourselves on our instruments enough to just lead our own path regardless of who is playing what how fast? Thanks for reading and looking forward to the responses.

Trust yourself when your at an abilty that you are comfortable with. THere comes a point I think for every guitarist that they no longer care what other people say about their playing or how much better the person next to them is. It only really matters that you enjoy your instrument and play what you like.

As for theory, never stop learning, i'm always crackin the books, i love the stuff.
its my opinion that there is never enough

but i really agree with the person who said "you decide"
...when do you finally put all the theory books and tab away and say you know enough to move on?

When you want to try to, you do. A teacher can guide you with this.

Or do we as musicians keep grasping for the next new thing?

You can.

How do we know when to trust ourselves on our instruments enough to just lead our own path regardless of who is playing what how fast?

You should be doing this from day one. Theory is nothing to do with this question.