Poll: Thought I'd throw a poll in... BF V. SF
Poll Options
View poll results: Thought I'd throw a poll in... BF V. SF
Blackface
13 93%
Silverface
1 7%
Voters: 14.
What are the actual tonal differings between the Fender Blackface and Silverface amplifiers.

I know the technical aspects (for example: CBS, different circuits etc.) but i've never gotten to actually compare them.

I know almost 100% of the time players prefer the Blackface. Why?
Blackfaces actually break up nicely and have less headroom, while silvefaces have enormous clean headroom and don't sound very good past a certain level ( when they start to break up)

Blackfaces usually have a warmer tone, while silverfaces sound very bright and a bit harsh.

But even silverfaces sound better than most amps today ( even Fender Reissues)
Quote by Mike!
Blackfaces actually break up nicely and have less headroom, while silvefaces have enormous clean headroom and don't sound very good past a certain level ( when they start to break up)

Blackfaces usually have a warmer tone, while silverfaces sound very bright and a bit harsh.

But even silverfaces sound better than most amps today ( even Fender Reissues)

than I AM a silverface person... that's what i thought was the major difference was.

I really like me clean headroom and any distortion i get i like to get from my trusty muff.

It's sometimes nice not to be a part of the general consensus... it can save you a lot of money when buying amps!

Thanks for the helpful answer!