Page 1 of 2
Please help me with my music assignment! STOP don't close the window yet!
I know heaps of kids just post the question on these forums and pretty much expect an essay back and **** like that. And well, i'm kinda one of those kids... bUT NOT REALLY! My assignment says to "use the internet to research and/or communicate with performers: discuss their performance techniques and how they prepare works for performance"
And don't worry, i'm not slack. I've already rung a heap of people I know already. Just thought I'd put my list up here to further contribute to my project and/or other people's knowledge. SO here goes big nose!

I got a project where I have to "get in touch with performers and discuss their performance techniques and how they prepare works for performance" so, I've made a list of questions for you to answer which (hopefully) will finish my project.

COMBATING STRESS:

1. Do you get nervous before performances?

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimise your stress levels?

3. Do you have any techniques to just get you as pumped up as possible?

4. Have you ever had an experience where you (or someone you were with) did not want to get on stage? If so what did you do to overcome this problem?

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. What is your practice regime?

2. When you get a song to perform what are the steps you take to make sure you know it properly?

3. If you are stuck on a certain bit of a song, what do you do?

PERFORMING:

1. You are called on to the stage. How do you get up?
(run, walk, smile and wave, scream...)

2. Now that you're up. Do you great the audience? and if so how?

3. You're halfway through a song and you stuff up, what do you do?

4. You're halfway through a song and someone else stuffs up, what do you do?

5. You're halfway through a song and your lead falls out or your strap falls off and your guitar falls to the ground. What do you do?

6. You're halfway through a song and the power goes out. What do you do?
(hahahaha)

7. How do you connect with the audience during a performance?

8. How do you order the songs you play when you perform?
(start strong and go mellow. etc)

Any other questions (and their answers) that sound like they need to be included might include:

Thankyou very very much, if you take the time to answer these questions! And if you know other people who might be better suited to answer them, please forward this message along to them, it would help me heaps for school.

-Maize

Sometimes

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimise your stress levels?

I always have a smoke before I jam, calms me. (In no way am I endorsing smoking, nor am I saying you shouldn't)

No

4. Have you ever had an experience where you (or someone you were with) did not want to get on stage? If so what did you do to overcome this problem?

Never had that.

I don't practise I'm ashamed to say.

2. When you get a song to perform what are the steps you take to make sure you know it properly?

If I can perform a song while having a conversation then I feel I'm ready to perform it.

Go over it very very slowly multiple times.

Walk.

I'm a fairly casual person, so I just say hey what's up.

Keep going, always shrug it off.

laugh and move on

5. You're halfway through a song and your lead falls out or your strap falls off and your guitar falls to the ground. What do you do?

swear and move on.

(hahahaha)

Drop my pants

I attempt to do this through music, but I blow, so I usually talk.

Start soft and go out with a bang
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
COMBATING STRESS:

1. It really depends on who the audience is, but I have issues with playing for people I know for some odd reason.

2. I just warm up my fingers (as I am a guitarist) and hum a fun tune.

3. I listen to Iron Maiden, it gives me thrills

4. When I was playing at this Caleigh thing another guitarist wanted to play a cover of Metallica's One with me but he almost chickened out when we were about to go on. This probably isnt the nicest thing I've ever done but I pretty much dragged him out in front of the people and he was fine from then on.

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. I usually just play when I feel like playing unless theres a certain part that I can't get bugging me. When I do practice I try to get it right the first time so I spend plenty of time whenever I pick up my guitar.

2. I just take a couple listens to the song so I get familiar with the melodies and rhythm. I dont really take the traditional routes through keys but I noodle around where I think the proper frets are and can usually find my way after a while.

3. Try, Try, Try again. If it isn't done right the first time then chances are it will be even harder the next time you pick up your guitar.

PERFORMING:

1. Ride my Harley Davidson. But really, I just strap up my guitar and turn the amp from standyby to ON.

2. I greet the audience with the beginning of my performance whether it's Let There Be Rock by AC/DC or some lame pop punk rip-off.

3. Keep going, the audience wont notice. Only you and/or your band members will know if you screwed up.

4. Smile like they meant to do it. Again, nobody will know.

5. Your guitar shouldn't fall to the ground, if it does you're not holding it properly! If my patch falls out then I just pick it up and set 'er in. Happens all the time, who cares?

6. I'm the reason that the lights went out, rocked the place too hard I guess.

7. Play some great music! If you're having fun then chances are so is your audience.

8. My band and I like to select songs that go in and out of eachother. I guess we try to make our shows like concept albums (Pink Floyd's The Wall or Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime) and make each song lead into the other taking breaks when our singer needs them.

I'm glad to have helped if I actually did. I'm not sure if you wanted an answer from a hard-headed rocker or an actual musician. I don't even know if I'd consider myself one, I'm just in the band

Have a good day
Alright, I'll respond. I play in my local metal band (Extreme Isolation) and were recording and PLANNING on gigging, so that's performing artist-ish, right?

COMBATING STRESS:

A: Absolutely. Unless you're already in a band that sells out football stadiums and thinks playing Madison Square is a regular occasion for you, almost everyone does. Myself especially.

A: I do slow breathing, and stretch so that I don't ache whilst rocking around on stage.

I do 15 jumping jacks to get the blood flowing and loosen up, then pickup my guitar and do speed picking chugs as fast as I possibly can without having a heart attack.

A: Yes, my drummer intros one of our songs with this amazing fill, and he didn't want to get on stage because it's our opening song (It's fast and would get the audience pumped) and he was afraid he'd mess up. I told him to lighten up on himself, since it's original work and we don't have our demo recorded yet that even if he DOES mess up, the audience won't know the difference.

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. Warm-up by myself. 2. Warm-up with the rest of the band (bass, drums, rhythm, vocals). 3. Begin recording, while one bandmate is recording the others prepare for the part they're going to record. 4. Writing time. Everyone just jams, and when you come up with something you think is good you get everyone else to shut up and let you play it and if they like it then we'll try and build on it. 5. Break time (we all rock out in a small room with a full drumset in the corner, it gets stuffy in there, and everyone needs a break!) 5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the sun rises. 6. Sleep.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

A: I have a genetic trait (photographic and tonal memory) that lets me remember things like fret numbers, finger positions, hand movements, etc... with ease. Don't ask me to elaborate, I honestly don't know how to explain it in great detail.

I slow it down and try it again. After I get it down at a slower speed I bump the speed up a bit, until I get up to tempo.

PERFORMING:

A: My vocalist is the one that does the crazy stuff before we play songs; I start getting crazy whilst rocking out. Basically I walk on stage, smile and wave, and rock.

2. Now that you're up. Do you greet the audience? and if so how?
A: Only if the vocalist introduces me. Then I respond with a short little tapping lick.

A: If by "stuff up" you mean "mess up", then I keep going with it. If I mess up mid-solo, I improvise until I get back to a main note in the solo and pick up from there. If I mess up big time I stop, let the rhythm guitarist stick out for a few seconds, and pick back up where he's at.

A: I probably wouldn't notice, I concentrate very hard on playing my own part, let alone trying to guide everyone elses.

A: If by "lead" you mean "cable", then I'll say to myself "crap..." and pick it up and plug in as fast as humanly possible. If my guitar strap comes off and my axe falls to the floor...I guess I'd go backstage and grab my Squier, hastily tune it to Drop C, then return quickly.

(hahahaha)
A: Though the odds of that happening are very slim, I'd probably say an obscene word, and hope it comes back on. I'd also hope my amp didn't fry from the outage.

A: When I get to a tapping portion I know well during a solo I'll pull a Gene Simmons, and stick my tongue out whilst staring out into the crowd, headbanging all the while.

We start with our fast one, then go to our chugging one, then to our even FASTER one, and finally go to a slower but still chugging one, then if they want an encore we do another FASTER one. I can't give names of all the songs because we don't have them yet, but the very first song is "What Do You Want (From Me)"

Hope I helped!

-- Snap017
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

COMBATING STRESS:

After more then 50 shows, no not really. Also I'm someone who loves to talk to an audience... The last time I was nervous was before playing an huge open air show with more than 300 people on a pretty big stage. Normally I play just club gigs, and thats not a problem.

No, not really. I just make sure that I doublechecked my gear before, during and after soundcheck (and before starting the actual show)

No.

No.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Mhm play the songs until I know them.

Play it till I can write the whole song down (though I'm normally playing rhythm, so thats not that difficult)

Practice, Practice, Prcatice...

PERFORMING:

Haha, normally we have the lights out and sneak onto the stage.

No, we always start with the music first and greet the audience after we played the first song. Just standard phrases. If I recognize some fans or people I sometimes make jokes about them. Nice jokes if you get what I want to say.^^

Just don't stop to play and smile.

Smile, nothing.

Laugh my ass of, get my guitar, get back into the song

(hahahaha)

Standing in the dark. If I had my acoustic with me get it and play acoustic unplugged stuff.

Talking, some handshaking, sometimes stagediving if I feel to.

Depends on the Band. Start with an bang, slow down a little bit and get stronger to the end again, normally. Other than that, playing in my Indieband, we usually start with some light stuff, then some piano and acoustic stuff and then end with the "harder" songs.

Hope that helps you, and forgive the poor english, its to late here

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
COMBATING STRESS:

Yeah most of the time

Not really, that's a good idea though!

Practicing the most intense song a lot

Nope.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Practice string skipping 20 minutes a day

Making sure I can play the song fluidly standing up, then making sure I can play it fluidly standing up and not looking at the neck, then making sure I can play it fluidly standing up and not looking at the neck and going crazy

Wait till I find something that flows with the piece rather than doodling around for it.

PERFORMING:

Walk D:

Yeah, I say the name of my band, thanks for coming out, and the name of the first song. Not a very great greeting haha

Completely ignore it and hope everyone else does the same

Give them a mean look

Pick it up, what else?

(hahahaha)

Try to figure out why the power went out

I don't really D:

Generally have a pretty intense song in the beginning but leave the best for the end
Quote by blacksurgeband

Wait till I find something that flows with the piece rather than doodling around for it.

whats that mean?
Quote by mdwallin
whats that mean?

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant creative blocks when songwriting. If it's me not being able to play it then i'll just practice it :P
COMBATING STRESS:

1. Do you get nervous before performances? Nope not really

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimise your stress levels? I don't get that nervous

3. Do you have any techniques to just get you as pumped up as possible? We play an easy upbeat song at the beginning to set the mood

4. Have you ever had an experience where you (or someone you were with) did not want to get on stage? If so what did you do to overcome this problem? Nope

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. What is your practice regime? Play songs

2. When you get a song to perform what are the steps you take to make sure you know it properly? Play along with the recording

3. If you are stuck on a certain bit of a song, what do you do? Slow it down and play it a crap load of times slowly speeding it up

PERFORMING:

(run, walk, smile and wave, scream...) Walk

2. Now that you're up. Do you great the audience? and if so how? I might wave, I'm just the guitarist, I dont talk to the crowd

3. You're halfway through a song and you stuff up, what do you do? Keep playing

4. You're halfway through a song and someone else stuffs up, what do you do? Keep Playing

5. You're halfway through a song and your lead falls out or your strap falls off and your guitar falls to the ground. What do you do? Fix it asap

(hahahaha) This wouldnt be my issue

7. How do you connect with the audience during a performance? through the music... duh..

(start strong and go mellow. etc) I use the advice in the sticky at the top of the board
COMBATING STRESS:

1. No.

2. No.

3. Watch the other bands.

4. No.

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. Pick up my bass whenever I feel like. Noodle around and play/learn songs.

2. Practice, practice, practice.

3. Slow it down.

PERFORMING:

1. Smoothly, confidently, and with a big old smile.

2. Nope, that's the singer's job.

3. Don't show that you messed up and just roll with it. One of the things alot of people have trouble with on stage is rolling with the mistakes. **** happens and you just have to deal with it. As long as you don't look like you messed up, nobody will probably know anyways.

4. Same as above.

5. Get it in a playable state ASAP and hop back in.

6. Make fun of the situation.

7. Get into the music and make some jokes.

8. Start strong, end strong.
Last edited by Zycho at Feb 26, 2009,
COMBATING STRESS:

Sometimes. So far my nerves have been easily combatted by running through some songs before we go on. Then I find I'm a lot more confident about what I'm going to do.

Anything from my band's songs normally keeps me from choking. Tapping runs and stuff help as well. Gets me focused.

So far, just seeing the amount of people who've turned up to see us has been awesome.

Yeah. Second show ever. Was in a pub, middle of the city, we were headlining and 'cause I'm under 18, I wasn't allowed in until just before we played, which was around midnight. I had to get my guitarists to take in all my gear early and then I had to hitch a lift with a mate around 10pm. Was lame.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Run through our set list. Run through anything else. Practice other songs by other bands. Repeat.

Practice it, practice it and practice it some more.

If it's way beyond my level, I try it, try it slower, and if my fingers refuse to follow, I just learn the pattern and then go and learn something else. I find that I will play the slower version of the harder song whenever I'm just sitting around playing. And slowly I'll pick up how to play it faster.

PERFORMING:

Walk up slowly. We have intro pieces for our live set so we can't distract from that.

After the first song normally. Our vocalist introduces us and thanks the audience.

Keep going. I'm a bassist so it's not as noticeable as long as I keep going.

Death stare them and then throw a guitar at their head. Nah, just hope that they pick up.

Fix it. ASAP.

(hahahaha)
Not much you can do. I've seen this happen at a Whitechapel show and basically all they could do was stand around and see if they could get the power back. When they couldn't they started packing up.

Acknowledge friends. Nod at people if they make a signal at you. Throw the horns back if someone throws it up. I make stupid faces a lot when I play, just because I can really.

Intro track, big fast epic song, keep the epic going, break it up with some mosh styled, then more epic to finish.
COMBATING STRESS:

I use to, and still do sometimes.

Setting up my stuff usually helps. I focus solely on getting my stuff ready.

I think of everything I write songs about (I am in a politically driven band) and I remember why I am up there. hat usually does it.

No actually. I hope I never encounter that problem.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Not as good as it should be. lol

I really just do it over and over till it is second nature. Some songs take long, some don't.

Change it, improvise. Make it mine or power through till I get it.

PERFORMING:

I'm a runner.

Normally I enter through the back of the crowd and do a prepared speech. It normally get everyone going.

Pretend like I know what is going on and keep going.

KEEP GOING!!!!

Oh god, that happened at my last gig. I was singing and playing a song and the strap pens fell out. I just dropped the guitar and kept singing then picked it up for the solo.

Acoustic jam?

I like to make them part of the show. We set up a mic in the audience and hand out lyric packs. We invite them on stage, hell I have passed my guitar to an audience member and proceeded to dance with everyone.

I like the Rage Against The Machine approach. Start at 10 and get more intense from there.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
COMBATING STRESS:

Yes.

I drink some water, and try to talk to a couple people in the audience.

None really.

Yes, we played.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Practice when you can. Run through it alone, twice a day. Once when I wake up, one time before bed.

Practice it until you can do crazy stuff while playing it.

Just play through it.

PERFORMING:

Walk up with my guitar around me.

"Wow, you guys are ugly. Whatever, that makes me fit in more. Now this is our first song..."
I just tease and play with them.

Play through.

Play through.

Grab it, rest it on my knee. Play through.

(hahahaha)

Run out of the room without anybody noticing. Then pop in a couple minutes after everyone notices im gone.

Eye contact, talking to them mid-song.

Strong and then mellow.
COMBATING STRESS:

I get a healthy anxiousness.

Mayb eon sigaret or beer. Never more than that though

So far it comes naturally

I have not have such an experience.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Everyday at random moments. In total different from 2 till 6 hours depending on the day

Practice with just the sheet/tab, practice with song as backing track, rehearse with band.

Take two steps back and re-analyse the part if there are others way to play it. play it with different fingering that is.

PERFORMING:

Differs, comes naturally per show. Normally I just keep a poker face and smile to someone I know in the crowd.

I let my frontgirl do the talking.

Pokerface, improvise till it comes back.

Pokerface, ignore the fact somebody stuffs up. If it goes to extreme levels I'll try and help to get back on track.

Damage Control, get playing ASAP.

(hahahaha)

I have a plug box fo rmy pwoer with a light on it if it's on. Check the light, if the box is fine i'll try the plugs. Again, damage control/

Look at them, smile, If I see someone sing a long, I'll start playbacking along with them.

Strong, mellow/unknown, strong. With al practical differences between songs (like switching guitars) optimized to before mentioned strategy.
COMBATING STRESS:

If we are playing at a new venue then, yes, but normally no.

Not really

Again not really

Yes. I spoke to our singer and said "we've done this before, there just happens to be more people here this time." helped him relax and we did an okay job, he still messed up some songs but we got through our set.

PREPARING A PIECE:

I don't really have a practise regime. I play guitar alot at home without actually working on something specific and I gig at least once a week so that keeps me in good touch.

Listen to the piece until I know it properly all the different parts. Get a chord sheet for the piece and tab if I can't get the riffs from ear. Listen again for nuances and accents. Play along with the song 3-4 times without distortion (often without being plugged in) to make sure i know it properly and any bum notes can be spotted.

Practise the same part over and over again until I get it. If necessary (and own the track on vinyl) slow the part down and get it right.

PERFORMING:

The only time we've even been called on to stage was a headliner for some council project and they wanted 2 bands with a bit of a local reputation. So we took it upon ourselves to wear wigs and get immensly drunk before we went on (giving a great example to the kids on the sceme). As far as i remember we ran on and waving as if we were stadium rock legends. However our real badn job is as a working pub band so we tend to be on the "stage" all the time anyway and theres never a compare. We basically set up get a drink in intoduce ourselves and go.

It goes something like "good evening and welcome to ~venue name~, we're Asparagus Now and then break into our opener, currently Crossroads.

Bend till it sounds right/keep going no matter what.

Give them a quick joking look and keep going no matter what

Pick it up/sort it out and keep going no matter what.

(hahahaha)

Stop, laugh a bit, start and accapella version of "Mothers Lament"

Not our strong suit to be honest. Mainly just get people to sing along if they know the songs. Our crowd interaction is horrendous.

It totally depends on the venue we are playing and the clientelle in that particular night. However we always start off with something with a lot of energy. As a pub band we have got to play to our audience and the more times we play a venue the easier it becomes to guage a crowd. oh and finish with our reggae Freebird followed by encore classics.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
COMBATING STRESS:

1. Do you get nervous before performances? I used to. But not anymore.

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimise your stress levels? First and foremost, be well rehearsed. I like to be alone for a few minutes, to stretch and do some deep breathing exercises. And finally, I pray.

3. Do you have any techniques to just get you as pumped up as possible? No, if you're not excited to perform, there's something wrong with you.

4. Have you ever had an experience where you (or someone you were with) did not want to get on stage? If so what did you do to overcome this problem? No

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. What is your practice regime? Practice is done at home on my own. When I go to a band "practice", it's to rehearse as a band. You shouldn't go to band practice, to learn your parts.

2. When you get a song to perform what are the steps you take to make sure you know it properly? First, I learn the rhythm parts. Then I learn any solos in the song.

3. If you are stuck on a certain bit of a song, what do you do? Usually, I can figure most stuff out by ear. But if I get stuck, I'll use tab. As for original material, first I'll learn all the rhythm parts. Then, I'll make a loop of the progression that I'm going to solo over, and I'll practice improvising over it until I come up with a lead that I like. I prefer to "compose" my solos, so that I can play the same solo everytime.

PERFORMING:

1. You are called on to the stage. How do you get up? Walk.

2. Now that you're up. Do you greet the audience? and if so how? Smile.

3. You're halfway through a song and you stuff up, what do you do? If you make a mistake, keep going and act as if nothing happend.

4. You're halfway through a song and someone else stuffs up, what do you do? Ignore it. Fortunately, I've never had anything really drastic go wrong.

5. You're halfway through a song and your lead falls out or your strap falls off and your guitar falls to the ground. What do you do? Never had that happen.

Same answer as above.

7. How do you connect with the audience during a performance? Eye contact and smile.

8. How do you order the songs you play when you perform? Start with something really energetic. Keep the energy going for a few of songs. Maybe mellow it out a little, (if there are any mellow songs in the set list). Build the energy back up. Save best song for last.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Last edited by seth's daddy at Feb 27, 2009,
COMBATING STRESS:

No, yet somewhere in the hour before performing i have that self-doubt moment, but that goes away when you think about why your in your band, as well as the compliments you've recieved over the years.
Not really. I generally just don't think about it. Just do it.
Well, me and the guitarist just punch each-other for a while, that works.
Well, i shot the guy.
*pause for laughter, tumbleweed rolls past*
But seriously, yes, and you basically convince them that by not going on their letting the band down as well as the crowd.

PREPARING A PIECE:

30 mins a night/2 nights
Play it a dozen or so times and it's burnt into my brain.

Just push through the burn, man up.
PERFORMING:

Walk, or possibly a slight strut.

How you all doing tonight? We're December Days, so drink up, the more you drink the better we sound

either keep going, or pull out for a sec, find my place and get back into it. But usually keep going. The Audience only notices a stuff-up if you let them.
Shoot them a greasy and continue.
Strap falls off, i play without strap, guitar hits ground, swear, followed by laugh and bag out the company of the strap-locks.
(hahahaha)
Swear, and laugh.

Just talk, ask a few questions, if they'd like to see our guitarist play shirtless *yet to be said actually, but that would be something to say*

We usually start pretty strong, but we're in the middle of making more build-up songs.

Hope i helped TS!
Quote by mdwallin
Thanks, some good answers there :P
You're under 18 and playing at pubs at midnight?!

I'm 17, 18 in April. We were headlining so we had no choice but to play late really.
COMBATING STRESS:

1. Do you get nervous before performances? Not really anymore.

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimise your stress levels? Think about anything and everything except the performance. Oh, and triple- and quadruple-check my gear. I have a strange phobia about gear.

3. Do you have any techniques to just get you as pumped up as possible? Nah.

4. Have you ever had an experience where you (or someone you were with) did not want to get on stage? If so what did you do to overcome this problem? Well, nobody generally has any choice but to go on stage so I've never had anybody back out like that.

PREPARING A PIECE:

1. What is your practice regime? I play stuff that I enjoy without really worrying about practicing technique. I find that I will learn a new technique to play a certain song and then maintain that skill later.

2. When you get a song to perform what are the steps you take to make sure you know it properly? Listen to it and then start working on playing it. Once I can play it, I try to work on details like transitioning from part to part properly, dynamics and tone, etc.

3. If you are stuck on a certain bit of a song, what do you do? All you can really do is practice, depending on what you're stuck on specifically. If I know the part but can't play it, then I slow it down or look for alternate fingerings that make it easier to play.

PERFORMING:

1. You are called on to the stage. How do you get up? Walk, I suppose.

2. Now that you're up. Do you great the audience? and if so how? Nah. Bass players don't get to talk.

3. You're halfway through a song and you stuff up, what do you do? If I screw up, I move on and forget it. If I blank completely, then I'm in trouble but try to continue and get back into the flow as quickly as possible.

4. You're halfway through a song and someone else stuffs up, what do you do? I usually look over at them and laugh a bit. People generally know when they screw up and it's good for a laugh.

5. You're halfway through a song and your lead falls out or your strap falls off and your guitar falls to the ground. What do you do? Correct it and get playing again as soon as possible, and most importantly, shrug it off. Forget about it and keep going.

(hahahaha) Cry.

7. How do you connect with the audience during a performance? Musically.

8. How do you order the songs you play when you perform? Start big. End big.
aright, you guys all rock! I'm really surprised how many replies I got (not to mention grateful)
Got some great quotes and that. Some new info. All's good. Thanks
If me essay turns out to be at least a little informative, I'll put it up as a lesson or article or something
COMBATING STRESS:

I did, but I've come over that.

Not really.

25 pull ups right before I go out

well... not really. A bandmember once got some kind of black-out once, but he got over it before we was to perform.

PREPARING A PIECE:

listen to the song, write it down, play it.
If that's what you meant?

Listen to it if I can, and play along to it. other jsut memorize the chords/ riff and practice it through so I know it without seeing some kind of sheet on in (chords, tab, w/e)

break down what I have problems with, say a drum fill or something.
Slow it down, listen, eventually write it down if I need and the practice it slowly

PERFORMING:

depends... If going from backstage, I'll walk/run in and wave.
depends a lot on the mood

not really... just introduce us/me and play

continue from where I made my mistake. In worst case I'll yell a chord/ piece of the song (e.g. solo) and we take it from there

try to cover it up while counting him/her in again

pick it up, play it resting to the ground ad fixes te strap after the song

(hahahaha)
Laugh

Look'em in the eye and talk.

start with a familiar and then kinda keep the tempo up for the rest of the gig
You like it
COMBATING STRESS:

Not really, but I guess a little bit is always there. When you're getting up on stage 4 or 5 times a week the novelty wears off and the nerves disappear - but it's always there, just at the back of your mind.

To put it another way, fighter pilots fly so often that to them it can become routine, almost like any other job. But just because you do it every day, you're still flying a supersonic, multi-million-pound fighter jet...

Does "double scotch, no ice" count as a calming technique? Otherwise, no.

See previous answer

Yes, there've been times where the band simply don't get on before a gig, but we've learned that if there's a personal problem before the gig, it's imperative that you put it aside until afterwards.
There's also been times where you arrive at a bar/club and instantly know it's going to fall flat - but you've already agreed to it, and you're getting paid - so you do the job you've been booked to do.

PREPARING A PIECE:

I don't have one. Half of the songs we learn are scribbled on a bit of paper before the gig, and the rest I learn in a spare hour or two. I play all the time, but I rarely practice - regular gigging renders it almost unnecessary.

I can't answer that - my band really relies heavily on our own improvising skill.

Make our other guitarist (bonzo_lives) play it!

PERFORMING:

In the venues we play, we tend to act as judge, jury,and executioner - we set up the stage, do the PA, everything, in front of the crowd, so you can't hide. In the few times where I play a bigger venue, I tend to come on with a cocky swagger and a glass of whisky in hand.

"Good evening, we're --------, and this is what we do..." tends to suffice. Though I prefer to do the introductions after the opening number, it makes the crowd a little more receptive and ensures they're paying full attention.

If it's a big one, I'll draw a bit of banter out of it on the mics. If it's minor, I very much doubt anyone except the odd muso would notice.

If possible, try and cover their part as best I can. Maybe look over an give them a grin; we usually joke about each others' mistakes.

Never happened to me, due mostly to the awe-inspiring power of my grolsch-bottle straplocks (another story!). When it happens - like the other month when I broke two strings in a song - I'll keep doing the vocals no matter what, and if necessary the other three will play the next song as a trio so I can fix the problem.

(hahahaha)

Got to agree with my fellow guitarist here on 'Mother's Lament'. There's really not much you can do, is there? A fortnight ago a guy collapsed at our jam night and we had to marshal the crowd so the ambulancemen could get through - you've got to be prepared for anything!

Not our strongest suit to be honest.
But then, they're there to hear some rock music, not mediocre stand-up comedy. Nor do they want to hear a ten-minute spiel about how and why you wrote a song, what it means to you, etc.
The audience will 'connect' with you if they like the music - you can't force them to respect you just by chatting away like you're all good mates. You can make it easier by using lighting, stage moves etc to make it more of a memorable experience, but the music is still central.

We'll have a list of maybe 30 or so tracks that we want to do that night, but we won't write a setlist until we've taken a good look at the audience to gauge what they'd respond best to.

Hope my (somewhat cynical) answers help with your project. When I was in school, I never got to do fun stuff like chat about music
Last edited by kyle62 at Mar 3, 2009,
i know its not the same as performing on stage, but im 14 and can't play anywhere. i often go busking and play metal/shred stuff so i'll talk about that

COMBATING STRESS:

always, i constantly check i have batteries, cables, straps etc
panic more.....
just warm up exercises
i have the natural gift of a huge ego and being a show off, aslong as i have a guitar in my hands i don't get nervous

PREPARING A PIECE:

just technique practice -
play it blindfolded at half speed, then full speed, then transposed higher and lower, then at the right place etc
improvise, sweep pick all the strings as fast as possible, scale runs.
PERFORMING:

set up gear, sweep pick, do some tapping, sweep tapping and a scale run
nope....
sweep pick really fast
--
my strap is secured to my guitar with straplocks, but the lead only comes out when i pull it between songs to untangle it
(hahahaha)
collect my money and go home.
ermm....sweep pick as fast as possible
start really fast, then more melodic and repeat, so normally like, blitzkreig then no boundaries,glasgow kiss, under the influence then stabwound random solos and repeat the process.

as you can tell, i sweep pick as an all-purpose anything solver, but bear in mind this isn't with a band or actual gigging.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
It's 3:00 in the morning, so I'm sorry if my answers are a bit bland

COMBATING STRESS:

Depends. If it's a large gig, or a gig where we're out of our comfort-zone, then I'll get a bit nervous. We're a christian band, so being out of our comfort-zone is a fairly easy thing to do...for example, we recently played at a place that is also frequented by Cannibal Corpse fans. Not surprisingly, we didn't draw much of a crowd.

2. Do you have any calming techniques or phases you go through to minimize your stress levels?

No, actually. I probably should though.

See #2.

Can't say I have, actually...

PREPARING A PIECE:

I'll pick a few songs and run through them. If I find a problem in one, I'll start there and practice it until I get it right.

Band practice, pretty much. It's the only way to make sure everyone's playing it the same way.

I'll usually play it half-time to build muscle memory, and build up to full speed.

PERFORMING:

With us, this usually involves setting up our gear, which is done as quickly as possible. Being the bassist, I have the biggest rig to set up apart from the drummer, but we all help with that. I'm usually pretty zoned-in on the task and am mostly oblivious to anything not related to setup.

2. Now that you're up. Do you greet the audience? and if so how?

I don't...I'm the bassist. We're supposed to be in the back by the drummer

Seriously, though, I'll say something once in a while, but I'm far from being the frontman...or frontwoman in our case. I usually just hang back and let her and the guitarists do the greeting.

Root notes.

If it's really bad, I'll either stop playing, or if possible hit the distortion and play low on the B string until I catch on again...the actual pitch of the instrument is indecipherable like that, but it still adds rumble to the music so it doesn't sound like I've just stopped.

I'll usually fall into a root-note line with heavy emphasis on the down-beat. This helps everyone get back together.

Pick it up and start playing again.

(hahahaha)

Depends. If we're playing electric, we'd probabl just stop. Acoustic, I'd grab a pick and wail on my poor acoustic bass for all it was worth to try and keep up with the band. (acoustic basses are extremely quiet...they're not meant to be played un-amped)

I'll get close to them, sometimes even jumping off the stage. Usually, though, I let the guitarists and singer take care of that. I need to work on my stage presence.

We start fairly strong, put the mellow stuff just past the middle part, and end with some high-energy songs.
Nope, no sig here.
COMBATING STRESS:

Not really, sometimes, but just good nervous, the kind that makes you play tight.
Nah, just looking at the performance as having fun, and no pressure

We just talk through the song
Yes, our drummer, he was a bit self contious to play. But after our sound test and stuff, and he got a taste of how its like to play at a stage. After that we was really keen on playing

PREPARING A PIECE:

Me (Lead guitarist, main songwriter) usually writes a song, then i bring the main idea to practice, and then i get feedback, and input from the other members of the band. I usually lay down the main riff, then figure out the rythmpart for it. The bass tracks are mostly mutual consent between me and our bassist. The drummer comes up with the beats, but consults with us first. The melody of the song is often improvised untill we find something we are really happy with. I would say that most of the band stuff goes through me, but the creative input of the song as a whole is a product of the band as an entity.
We go through it loads of times, really focusing on the parts we are not so good at. I teach the parts i have written to the other members, present the lyrics to the singer, and then we try and go through it at full speed, regardless. Then we see what we have to really work on. And when we have it, we just play it over and over.

Take it slower and then build up speed. We try to get it as tight as possible at the the speed closest to the actual speed. Then we rinse and repeat the part until we have it down perfectly.
PERFORMING:

We improvise that part. Usually just giving a gesture to the audience, raising our hands and salute them.
Yes we do. Usually just something like "How are you doing?" and stuff like that, introducing the song and stuff. Really basic.
Keep on playing like nothing happened. Whatever the mistake, you should not stop a song halfway through
Same as above.
Make a joke of it after the song.
(hahahaha)
Same as above. Its really out of our hands if the power goes out, so the only thing we can do is to joke about the venue.
Make jokes, tell really short stories of how the band works, or how the song was written. Stuff that is entertaining.
We start strong, then go more mellow, then we end strong.
COMBATING STRESS:

A little bit. My heartbeat gets stronger and stronger with every minute

Breathing

Breathing

The most gigs I had were solo..so no

PREPARING A PIECE:

Practicing one song until it's ready to be performed, then the next one.

Practice it slowly. Play it louder as it should be natural, so the volume won't go down too much if it is a faster peace (note that i am talking about a classical guitar)

Leave it and try it later on again.

PERFORMING:

Walk and avoiding eye contact with the audience (it's making me nervous )

Only a short introduction, then telling them that i hope they'll enjoy it

Go on and act as if nothing happened. In the worst case, trying to improvise. Just doing something so the audience doesn't care.

Go a little bit slower and wait till he catches himself again

Pick it up fast and play while crouching. If not possible, hoping the band can cover the mistake somehow

(hahahaha)

Laugh (**** happens)

As soon as I feel comfortable on stage I start showing off a little (playing legato only, soloing on my back if it is possible and stuff like that)

But, as I stated before, that I had way more gigs with my classical guitar, I am just sitting there and play the pieces (what else? )

Well if it's classical:
Overtures to begin with (usually rather soulful and slow pieces) then some rather dramatic or sad ones. I usually end it with a fast or lively song.

Electric guitar:
Fast opening - Taking out the tempo with something slow - Go out with a big bang
Last edited by Pakao at Mar 5, 2009,
COMBATING STRESS:

I'm usualy slight nervous before a gig and very occasionaly very nervous, but it doesn't ever affect my performance, it enhances it because it supplies you with the adrenalin to go completely mental.

Not really, I just tend to think to myself that if I wasn't at all nervous, then the gig would be boring, so I'm thankful for being nervous

Just walking on stage generaly does it for me.

I've experienced it, not because of nerves though, usualy because the gig has turned out to be something completely different from what was promised by a promoter.

PREPARING A PIECE:

Rehearse the living daylights out of it.

I rehearse the living daylights out of it (if I'm still unsure by the time it's gigged, I generaly have the words to the song on a piece of paper at my feet to glance at if I get stuck.

Soldier on as best I can, even possibly ad-libbing, there really isn't anything else you can do.

PERFORMING:

Calmly walk on stage while the band are playing the intro to 'Black Sabbath', stand at the front of the stage facing the audience and raise my arms in the air with the two finger peace sign, just like Ozzy does, but then, I am in a Sabbath tribute band.
This is actualy my favourite part of the gig because the crowd always goes nuts when a guy dressed as Ozzy walks on stage and does that and it's also usualy a pretty good measure of what sort of crowd you have and how responsive they are gonna be. If they don't react too well, I try harder than usual to whip 'em up during the first break between songs and if that doesn't work, I calm down a bit and let the music do the talking. If they respond to the music, (which such a crowd usualy does) then I gently push 'em until they are eating out of the palm of my hand.
There's nothing that looks more embarassing than having a frontman going crazy on stage to an unresponsive audience, you can practicaly see the tumbleweeds going past when that happens.

After the second song (the first two are played straight through without a break) I shout 'Good evening! Is everybody alright?' then say 'I can't hear you' a couple of times which generaly get's the crowd to be a little more vocal

Soldier on, ad-lib. NEVER stop playing.

If he's playing in the wrong key without realising, I run up to him and shout the right key in his ear, if it's a bum note, I usualy ignore it unless it's a really obvious one in which case I point and laugh at the person responsible which generaly get's the crowd doing the same.

Sack the roadie who put the strap on and plugged the guitar in.
Seriously, have a damn good laugh about it on stage, there's no point in losing your cool over it and from the audience's point of view, such a thing happening would be funny.

(hahahaha)

This has happened a couple of times to me, we've handled it by singing accappela in harmony or even getting the crowd to sing something silly like My Old Man's a Dustman until the power comes back on.

I talk to them, try to fire them up, have a laugh, get up to all sorts of silly stage antics and reply to any hecklers with a suitable one liner that generaly get's a laugh from the rest of the audience.

Start fairly strong, go straight into a stronger song without a break (which just boosts the already high adrenalin level to a higher level) then after saying hello, I try to make sure that each song after that is alternate and in a different key to the song before it.
I always like to end on a strong song too.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 5, 2009,
COMBATING STRESS:

sometimes

not really

Nope.

PREPARING A PIECE:

I just practice the piece for hours until I have it nicely, then practice it for an hour or so the next few days so i dont forget it.

practice, alottt of practice

Break it up, play it bit by bit really slowly then gradually speed it up and join up the pieces.

PERFORMING:

Walk, smile and wave

Just a "hey, hows everyone tonight" or something along those lines.

keep playing.

keep playing.

Swear loudly, then pick up the guitar angrily but act like its all part of the act. or a pete townshend, depending on my level of drunkeness.

(hahahaha)
Swear really loudly, as silence desends down upon the place.

Eye contact, talk to them.

Usually strong, go mellow, then strong again. Try to finish and start on an upbeat song.
Quote by aidan the perso
COMBATING STRESS:

sometimes

not really

Nope.

PREPARING A PIECE:

I just practice the piece for hours until I have it nicely, then practice it for an hour or so the next few days so i dont forget it.

practice, alottt of practice

Break it up, play it bit by bit really slowly then gradually speed it up and join up the pieces.

PERFORMING:

Walk, smile and wave

Just a "hey, hows everyone tonight" or something along those lines.

keep playing.

keep playing.

Swear loudly, then pick up the guitar angrily but act like its all part of the act. or a pete townshend, depending on my level of drunkeness.

(hahahaha)
Swear really loudly, as silence desends down upon the place.

Eye contact, talk to them.

Usually strong, go mellow, then strong again. Try to finish and start on an upbeat song.

why did you bump an old thread like this???!?
COMBATING STRESS:

o yeah, everytime.. not like sweating my balls off freaking out.. but yeah i get butterflies.

smoke pot.

once im on stage and i see all the faces of people just waiting for me i get pumped as hell..

nah..

PREPARING A PIECE:

i find/make my set list, and then play those songs for at least a week before i play "live"

uhhhhhh i write the songs.. or theyre covers i love.

Practice til it hurts.

PERFORMING:

walk.. smiles to the crowd.. i plug in, tune up and say a few silly things to get the crowd to laugh.... or say something outrageous to drop their jaws... something political, you know?

"hows it going?" "whats up?" i speak to the crowd like they my friends and i know everyone.. i also talk **** on the crowd, offhandedly

stick my tongue out and keep playing.. unless i break a string, then thats it. i tell the crowd i broke a string.. quit/replace string/borrow guitar.

i play one man band stylee

my guitar never falls to the ground.. i always have a good grip on the fretboard.. it strap busts i bend down a bit and hold the guitar on my knee... trying not to Fvck up or stop playing. if cable comes out i basically have to stop, plug in, then pick up in/with time.

dont stop at all... just start belting the song... i play acoustic usually.. if not, theyll hear my electric strumming

make jokes about them and myself.. as well as ask questions that dont really need an answer.... make sure you LOOK at the crowd to see what the age/stereotype of the crowd mainly is.. make jokes theyll get......... look for someone who doesnt fit in, make a joke youd think theyd get, point to them and say "this guy knows what i mean!" then go right into rocking, not waiting for their response.

Start rocking immediately. follow up with something just as hard. then go harder, or bring it down a bit... then something mellow (best if right after hardest song)

i actually write my set list according to key of the song .. which i think makes my sets sound even better.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
COMBATING STRESS:

a little but once the first note is hit its gone. I do it for me, not for them. Why should i be nervous?

tune the guitar. strum the simple man chords unplugged, sing a lil

SEARCHIN...SEEK and DESTROY. Always gotta listen to that song, pre-performance

not yet

PREPARING A PIECE:

Play by myself daily. Jam very often

Learn it, look at the lyrics on the internet/album sleeve, put it on my ipod, and finally go over it with the band

Simplify it or slow it down and build up speed

PERFORMING:

walk out, "Hey, how we doin'? Lets do some rockin'" *Go into song

See above answer ^^

Blame the drummer! nah, look at the other guitarist or bassist and find my place

Look around and make sure that wasnt me

This is why i have another guitarist

(hahahaha)

Jokingly cheer and mess with the audience

Get um to sing along, jam right up next to um.

We start off with our best couple songs to get off on the right foot, throw all the iffy stuff in the middle, end with stranglehold and freebird
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
COMBATING STRESS:

Sometimes just depends on how big the venue is and knowing how many people are going to be there

I listen to the 9th symphony a few times (lol i play thrash metal and i listen to classical oh the hilarity)

I listen to Impossible Brutality by Kreator in the 10 minutes before going on

Never had this problem.

PREPARING A PIECE:

mon, wed, fri, sun - My house writing / tue, thurs, sat - studio

When i'm giving a new peice to play i play it at 50% the normals speed a few times just to get my hands and fingers ready for when they have to play it at speed, also it helps muscle memory.

Slow it down even more than ^ usually down to around 25% the normal speed and play at that speed 'til i can hit everynote cleanly then i speed it back up again.

PERFORMING:

We request that the venue/auditorium remain dark 'til we give the signal.
  • The drummer starts playing
  • The bass kicks in
  • The rhythm guitarist starts playing
  • Solo starts playing (at this point the lights go on)

We basically just ask if they're ready for a night of mayhem, then fire into our heaviest and fastest song called Shades Of Anger (pits proceed to open up)

Slight improv moment

Weird stage antics to get the attention on me.

I use a wireless kit that is wrapped around the strap of my guitar, which has strap locks so i never have this problem

(hahahaha)

When this actually happened i shouted as loud as i could what the **** my solo was just about to start

having a wireless kit i like to (if its easy to get to) go out into the audience and start headbanging with them.

We usually do a 12 song set and we start out heavy then at around song 7 or 8 we throw in a mellow song or two, then end it with more heavy songs.
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
COMBATING STRESS:

A little usually.

I generally just stick with at least one of my other band members and wear my guitar just keeping my fingers warmed up so I won't have problems. And I feel more comfortable with the others around me too.

Just generally listen to heavy energising music a few hours before I go on, play through my favourite songs and try and go through a pep talk wioth the rest of the band members if I get the chance.

Never had the problem but once our other guitarist didn't turn up so I just played all our parts.

PREPARING A PIECE:

I just practice it as much as possible until I know I have it as well as I can and make sure my timing and rhythm is correct and if I'm still not sure I set my drum machine to the rhythm and practice until I have it.

Playing it as often as I can first with the song in the background, then with just a drum machine and then with the others in the band.

Keep practicing and practicing it until I have. I try and adopt a never say can't attitude.

PERFORMING:

I just walk up, generally leading the others, and walk confidently and with my head up, never rushing too much.

Well that's up to our singer usually but I might nod or wave to faces that I recognise.

I'd like to say that I keep going through it which I normally do but once I messed up a part so badly that we had to go back and start it properly again. But I've learned from that and I know that I'd just go through it now if it ever happened to me again.

Just continue on as best I can, and do my best to make sure that I don't mess my parts up. And hopefully the others would follow that example and the other person would manage to fit back as soon as they could.

Try and get the others to keep playing while I fix whatever happened or just grab a replacement guitar if needs be. I would try and just keep the show going as much as possible.

(hahahaha)
There's not really much anyone could do is there. If it was just the lights or whatever it'd be cool to keep playing in darkness but to be honest I don't think there is anything we could really do. And it would be very difficult to do anacoustic set with our song choices.

I generally try and catch eye-contact with people I recognise or know and face them as often as possible.

Yeah we wouild usually start with one of our best known or most interesting covers to grab the audience immediately, then with their attention captured play an original song that we consider to be strongest or best. Then we would finish the set with our two strngest songs that people would know the best.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

Was waiting for ages for the penis.

Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm in ireland, we're neutral, we won't fight unless its for a day off or alcohol

Nihilism doesn't exist...
Page 1 of 2