I need some help to buy a 15w guitar amp ://
Which one shoud i buy?

-Marshall MG15CD(Used) R$350

-Marshall MG15DFX(Used) R$370

-Fender Frontman 15G(New) R$415,00

-Peavey Rage 158(New) R$325

-Crate GT 15R(New) R$348,00

All used Amps are in good conditions

R$ means Brazilian Real(I'm Brazillian and please forgive me if i made any mistake)

Thanks 4 all
Last edited by Kashmir86 at Feb 26, 2009,
holy-oh, real, not USD

go for the Rage 158
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Peavey Rage. The rest are bloody awful.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Peavey Rage. The rest are bloody awful.

So is the peavey rage.

Don't buy any of them, get a Roland Cube 30.
Quote by Mike!
So is the peavey rage.

It's the best of them. But still quite bad.

Don't judge me.
I have a marshall MG15DFX and like it. It gets good clean tones, but the overdive is crap, which doesn't bother me cause I don't ever really use it.
"How to fly: Hurl yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Pround member of the Motley Crue club.
Quote by BB6
I have a marshall MG15DFX and like it. It gets good clean tones, but the overdive is crap, which doesn't bother me cause I don't ever really use it.

It isn't a problem for me, I have a Boss OS-2(Overdrive/Distortion) and i really like it
Quote by Mike!
So is the peavey rage.

i can't afford it, even Roland Cube 15 is expesive for me
marshalls are usually the amp that pros use. or the crate. dont buy any other one unless its a vox. vox is a really good amp.
Quote by Scutchington
May 1st 2010 I had a sandwich.

May 1st 2011 Osama is killed.

May 2nd 2011 I decided the sandwich I had last year was pretty good.
really, i would recommend hitting up your local pawn shop, getting the cheapest one they have, and saving the rest for a new amp
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by benomino324
marshalls are usually the amp that pros use. or the crate. dont buy any other one unless its a vox. vox is a really good amp.

This is what happens when a brother and sister have children.
Quote by benomino324

i didn't find any Vox used in good conditions, and i can't afford a new one
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
really, i would recommend hitting up your local pawn shop, getting the cheapest one they have, and saving the rest for a new amp

THIS FOR SURE!

also cut whatever the shop is asking in half and offer them that first, then work your way up
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
DeathbyDestroyr makes an excellent point, I would save up more money to buy something better too. All those amps you listed are very limited, for beginners only. If you play for very long, you will soon want something better, unless you like choked honky tone, horrible dynamics and no responsiveness.

Also, Marshall, Vox and Crate make some really crappy stuff. Vox and Marshall make some really awesome amps too, but they cost 5-10 times what their crappy stuff is costs. You can't just find a Marshall or Vox and buy it thinking it is a Marshall therefore it will be good, they make amps at all price points and qualities. I am sure Crate makes some decent stuff too, I just don't know anything about them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

hahah, a friend of mine is selling a Staner Kute 16 R$100,00
and another one is selling a Epiphone Studio 10 R$120,00
Crate makes good stuff, but not the GT series or the flexwave, and even the V-series (note sig) arent by any means a top grade amp. However IMO the V33 has pretty damn good cleans.

I dont know what currency that is, but I really hope its like $300 to the dollar.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Feb 26, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Crate makes good stuff, but not the GT series or the flexwave, and even the V-series (note sig) arent by any means a top grade amp. However IMO the V33 has pretty damn good cleans.

I dont know what currency that is, but I really hope its like $300 to the dollar.

US$1,00 = R$2,35
but you cant think like that, because here in Brazil we have to pay a lot of trubutes and everything is more expensive than in US or Europe
Quote by The_Bosstone
I'm surprised no one has asked him what music he's playing...

i'm begginer , i can only play easy songs like Arctic Monkeys or The Strokes
Quote by Kashmir86
i'm begginer , i can only play easy songs like Arctic Monkeys or The Strokes

Well, I know Nick Valensi uses a Fender Hot Rod Deville, and Alex Turner used Orange earlier in his career and later he used a Fender Vibroverb. What about a Fender Super Champ XD?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

the problem is that I'm using a borrowed "Meteoro Nitrous Drive 15w", i'ts a brazillian guitar amp, and i don't like the sound
a new Meteoro like that is R$220,00
i'd like to get a better one
Quote by The_Bosstone
Well, I know Nick Valensi uses a Fender Hot Rod Deville, and Alex Turner used Orange earlier in his career and later he used a Fender Vibroverb. What about a Fender Super Champ XD?

IMHO the Fender Super Champ XD is an unbelievable deal, it has decent tone and unreal versatility. I would recommend it to anyone as a first/practice amp.
I can't afford A Super Champ

----

Even after some people told me to buy a Peavey Rage 158 i think the best choice is the Marshall MG 15 DFX, because it have some effects, and after some time i can sell it for the same price.

I think that many people just thought about the quality of the sound and the prices
Quote by Kashmir86

----

Even after some people told me to buy a Peavey Rage 158 i think the best choice is the Marshall MG 15 DFX, because it have some effects, and after some time i can sell it for the same price.

I think that many people just thought about the quality of the sound and the prices

Eh, I don't think you'll be happy with the MG if your attempting to get those tones. I still think you should buy a used super champ XD. Or just save up a little bit, it will be worth it.
Someones gonna say it eventually....

LINE 6 SPIDER III

I really know nothing about 15 watt amps, as I use 75 and higher. Get a 15-watt tube-amp. You'll b happy in the end on your purchase. Plus, they are perfect for recording because they arent to loud so you can reach your perfect volume tone, and it will not be too loud.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Someones gonna say it eventually....

LINE 6 SPIDER III

I really know nothing about 15 watt amps, as I use 75 and higher. Get a 15-watt tube-amp. You'll b happy in the end on your purchase. Plus, they are perfect for recording because they arent to loud so you can reach your perfect volume tone, and it will not be too loud.

What are you talking about? A 15 watt tube amp is ridiculously loud, not to much way more than expensive that what this guys is looking at.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
What are you talking about? A 15 watt tube amp is ridiculously loud, not to much way more than expensive that what this guys is looking at.

15w can never be ridiculously loud they can be loud in your bedroom, but not that loud other than that. it has to be at least 50 watts to be ridiculously loud
a 50w amp cranked is only about 6dbs louder than a 15 watt amp.
Quote by Levi79
15w can never be ridiculously loud they can be loud in your bedroom, but not that loud other than that. it has to be at least 50 watts to be ridiculously loud

no. it's rare that you will open a 15w tube amp all the way up. on a big stage, maybe, but even smaller venues may not require it. This also depends on the way the manufacturer rates their amps. Orange, for example, rates their amps by RMS clean handling. And the TT is loud as hell for 15w.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
no. it's rare that you will open a 15w tube amp all the way up. on a big stage, maybe, but even smaller venues may not require it. This also depends on the way the manufacturer rates their amps. Orange, for example, rates their amps by RMS clean handling. And the TT is loud as hell for 15w.

yeah, u are kind of right, i worded wrong, they can sometimes be prett loud, but not ridiculously loud
^^Exactly. I never had them side by side, but my HRD cranked and my BJr cranked don't seem like they are very different as far as volume goes.

^Maybe I exaggerate a bit, point is, they aren't bedroom amps.
epiphone valve jr. ?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Kashmir86

Maybe you can find one on Craigslist. I saw a brand new one that was only 2 weeks old go for $225 in January. Crazy what you can find on Clist if you keep an eye on it.

I've got some Bad news for people in the market for SCXD, the price just went up on line and that usually means the stores are soon to follow. So if your nearby guitar store has not raised the price yet and you are on the fence about this amp then you might want to jump on over and get one.

Musician's Friend in almost $400 now. . .
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=SUPER+CHAMP+XD

If you must buy on line, I think zZoundZ is only about $330. . . at least for right now they are, but they and Musician's Friend will probably meet somewhere closer to the middle. . . although one is usually better priced than the other.

I guess this is good news for us SCXD owners since the price of our stock just went up and resale value is looking gooooooood!!!!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 28, 2009,
If you're only playing at home then I'd suggest Guitar Rig 3. It's the cheapest solution (if you know what I mean ).
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
I really can't afford a Fender Super Champ XD, here in Brazil it's very expensive

I was looking the reviews, and i couldn't choose one yet

guys, take a look this

Marshall MG 15DFX
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/mg15 dfx/index.html

Peavey Rage 158
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/rage_1 58/index.html

Fender Frontman 15G
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/fender/frontm an_15g/index.html

Marshall MG 15DFX has a good rating
Peavey Tage 158 too
Fender Frontman 15G doesn't have
Okay, I am kind of laughing here. Now, by no means am I a pro... AT ALL.

I would honestly suggest still trying for a Roland Cube. The used ones you said you saw... what exactly was wrong with them? What do you mean by bad condition?

As you are in Brazil, perhaps availability is limited? Just a thought.

And whoever said an amp has to be 50w or more to be considered loud, you're dumb. Yes, yes you are. Ugh, a Canadian guy too. SHAME. 15w tube can be really, erm, "unreasonably" loud in a bedroom scenario. But as we see here, it is likely the TS cannot afford a tube amp?

I'd still like to know what is wrong with the used Roland Cubes or Vox amps you saw, TS.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Mr. Saale is right... do not trust reviews and ratings on those sites. It's unbelievable what people say, sometimes.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Feb 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2