When I write a song for 2 guitars should I have them both tuned the same? And should they be writen in the same key?
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
They surely don't have to be tuned the same. Same key usually is best, but can work with different ones sometimes
they don't need to be tuned the same, as long as it sounds good together.
generally being in the same key is good, unless you're writing a harmony line, in which case you might want to transpose the original part.
not necessarily. It can be cool to have one in standard and one in open G if you're in G for example.
Different keys is a little trickier, but a composer with an advanced understanding of theory could pull it off
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
It doesn't matter what the tuning is, what matters are the notes that you play. The theory sticky and the crusade articles cover this. Two different keys would require that the listener recognize two tonal centers simultaneously, which many would argue (and I would agree) is impossible.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 26, 2009,