So the action on my acoustic gets insanely high after like...the 5th fret, it's too high, other than get the bridge sanded down is there anything else I can do to help that?
Quote by adamk991100
I'm not in college, but i'd imagine the parties like the ones I just downloaded...

Quote by Weaponized
vagelier and PinkFender_69 are actually pretty dope
Hey, one of those people is me!

Just hang on a second, I'll be back.
Is your neck straight? It may also be a relief issue. I should point out that relief is adjusted by the truss rod and is not the same as action which is adjusted with the nut and/or saddle (lots of people don't understand this).
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Is your neck straight? It may also be a relief issue. I should point out that relief is adjusted by the truss rod and is not the same as action which is adjusted with the nut and/or saddle (lots of people don't understand this).

Yeah, but the first thing you suggested was a truss rod adjustment. So you just perpetuated the ongoing belief that truss rod equals action adjustment.

I never understand why people are so against saying that. When action is spoken of for acoustic guitars you always get that saddle and nut garbage. It's a joke. Just take an allen wrench and adjust your truss rod. Neck gets set right, your action improves.

When it comes to action on an acoustic guitar, truss rod adjustments should always be first before you start sanding away your saddle or replacing a nut.
No, action problems should be fixed by adjusting action and relief problems should be fixed by adjusting relief. I did not tell him to fix the action by adjusting the truss rod, I asked whether the neck is straight and suggested that a bowed neck might be compounding on the action problem. Or, maybe there's not an action problem at all and it is only a neck relief issue. I don't know what's wrong with his guitar but I do know the difference between relief and action.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
either way, he can hold two spots and check.

i stole this from the EG setup thread. same idea...

Neck Relief
adjusting your neck
this is not action adjustment. that's done at the bridge.
a neck adjustment usually helps, when a bridge adj can't get the strings low enough , or if you have fretbuzz that doesn't go away wt bridge adjustment.

fret the Low E on the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E on the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there, you probably dont have enough neck bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, you probably have too much.

measure and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Here's a couple of good articles to help you sort out your problems :

Truss rod adjustments and what its for;
http://www.athensmusician.net/archive/2001-05-01_geneimbody1.shtml

Adjusting the 'action' ;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=98002

Take it easy and don't do anything drastic!

Dave the Rave - "You can't sack me! - I'm Sack-less!"

Yamaha FGX412
Takamine CEB
Roland Cube
Korg Tuner CA-30
Couple of 1960's Echo Super Vampers mouth harps.
(. . . plus a cheap Rogue black Dread'nt 6 String and a black Mandolin in USA)