In short, I've been looking into high-power amps so I can stop borrowing my drummers dads Kustom 200W SS head. There's a 100W Marshall Mosfet head from the 1980's on the local Craigslist for $190. Seeing as Fulltone uses Mosfet in some of their pedals and their a boutique company, I figure it can't be all bad, but at the same time I'm worried that even with something from the 1980's, the MG's crap reputation will still hold true in SS Marshalls. Anyone who owns or has played a Mosfet, how does it sound, and is it worth $190?(Price is likely negotiable; he's posted it four times including the current ad)
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
You get what you pay for. Bottom line.

A solid state Marshall won't sound any better than a different solid state Marshall.

Just go for a better tube amp, it will serve you infinitely better than a POS SS head.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The Mosfets are great for metal from what I've heard.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
The Mosfets are basically Marshall's SS JCM800s.
They sound nice, for SS. Much better than most tube amps under $1000.
And Khoifish321, you're wrong, the 80's SS Marshall's are SO much better than the digital crap known as MG's and AVT's.
TS, I highly suggest you go check it out.
regardless... solid states are still pretty bad.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
The Marshall Mosfets kick ass. I have a friend who uses one of the smaller ones as a practice amp.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
^^...Erm, yeah, I'll be frank. Most Solid-state is bad. But I will not hesitate from admitting that my drummers father's SS Kustom kicks my tube amps ass(or at least would if it had drive). Also Roland JC-120. There are plenty of good SS amps. You just have to dig through the crap. And note this is coming from a tube guy.

@Everyone else; Alright, will check out then I suppose.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 26, 2009,
From what I hear the MOSFETs were the MGs of their time.

There is a BIG difference between MOSFETs in an amp and in a pedal.

What stuff do you play and how much would your max budget be?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Khoifish321
You get what you pay for. Bottom line.

A solid state Marshall won't sound any better than a different solid state Marshall.

Just go for a better tube amp, it will serve you infinitely better than a POS SS head.

Actually the Mosfets are pretty good.

necorsis, a mosfet is just a kind of transistor, that's all. I still wouldn't have thought it'd be an ideal amp for your kind of stuff, it's not going to be great at those mid gain breakup sounds but for a ss it's not bad.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeah mosfet is a field effect transitor...they sound nice but not AS nice as a tube amp...still those were modelled after the 800 series so i can tell you it wont sound crap if you arent looking for that power tube soak to color your tone i d say go for it
Quote by Khoifish321
regardless... solid states are still pretty bad.

wrong.
cheap is bad.
doesnt matter if its solid state (spider, MG) or tube (valve king, epi valve junior). a cheap amp is a cheap amp. and will sound cheap.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
wrong.
cheap is bad.
doesnt matter if its solid state (spider, MG) or tube (valve king, epi valve junior). a cheap amp is a cheap amp. and will sound cheap.

This.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I used to be in a band with a kid that had one.

At the time, I thought it sounded badass.

However, he was older than me and I thought everything he did was REALLY badass, only to find out that he is super lame.

BUT, his brother also used it, and hes one of the best guitarists and most legit guys ive ever met, but he has a low budget.

So, if you have a low budget, you can make it sound sick, but if possible it would be in your best interest to get something better.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
I own a mosfet lead 100 and it is GREAT. I have a couple of expensive tube heads (Fuchs ODS, and a Rivera S60 and a little Princeton (yeah!) and the Mosfet definitely has it's place. It has a surprisingly nice clean tone, works great with pedals, and has good flexibility in setting up and EQing the lead/gain channel. I don't see it as a metal amp without pedals but it has some big balls and a great set of basic sounds. I especially like it for jimi and srv type sounds with my strats... no pedal necessary. $190 is not a bad price if everything works right... ask about the pull gain control (lets you combine both channels) and the reverb (if you care).
Does it have the basketweave grill cloth? if it does, they sound awesome. i have a Lead 12 i picked up at a garage sale for 20$, and it is the best practice amp i have ever used.

it sounds better than many SS amps, imo.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by rock.meet Slash
And Khoifish321, you're wrong, the 80's SS Marshall's are SO much better than the digital crap known as MG's and AVT's.

You're aware that MGs and AVTs aren't digital, yes?

Most MGs and some AVTs have digital effects processors in their otherwise analog circuitry, the ones that don't are totally analog. Analog, as in the opposite of digital.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I played a Mosfet 100 recently. It was a scary experience. Huge, terrifying loud pops kept coming from the speakers - definitely something wrong with the amp/cab, but it was well used.

Otherwise, it was a pretty nice amp to play through - especially compared to what SS amps are available these days.
Quote by rock.meet Slash
The Mosfets are basically Marshall's SS JCM800s.
They sound nice, for SS. Much better than most tube amps under $1000.
TS, I highly suggest you go check it out.

Neither the MGs, nor the AVTs are digital. They are both analog.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.