Ok, so im loaning my old guitar to my cousin (who has no experience at all) so he can learn to play. He doesnt have tEh InterWebz so he cant get lessons and tabs from online. So, I need to know some good tabs to give him to learn, because I dont think he will stay with it if hes just learning scales and chords and theory, so im gonna try to teach him songs first. Hes into Metallica, Bullet for My Valentine, Nickelback, Tool, Saliva...pretty much anything like that. So, suggest me some good easy tabs to give him to learn. Ive already got Enter Sandman (minus the solo), One (the beginning), and im trying to think of some easy Nickelback. Any more suggestions?
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
But he pretty much hates that song. Even though it would be good for him. I just dont think he would have the will to learn it if he doesnt like it
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Smells like Teen Spirit is pretty easy
I learned For Whom the Bell Tolls
as my first song'
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Quote by Siege of Power
Smells like Teen Spirit is pretty easy
I learned For Whom the Bell Tolls
as my first song'

For Whom the Bell Tolls looks like a good easy one ill let him try it
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
i learned how to play omerta by lamb of god and dammit by blink 182 as my first two songs. hope this helps
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
He can try out nothing else matters. Need Some practice though but he can do it if he trys. My first song personally is wonderwall and even if it was my first song i feel good playing it
Quote by DoubleyouW
hey there delilah

That is not a good song for an absolute beginner to learn. For someone new to the instrument, it'd be quite challenging to get that finger picking down, especially with the bass line which involves stretching with your pinky.

Oh and my recommendation, get him to learn the Master of Puppets intro. I remember that was one of the first things I learned when I was just starting to play.
Last edited by t_man700 at Feb 27, 2009,
teach him some basic chord shapes, and relate them to songs he likes. that way instead of just 'knowing' how to play songs. he knows that he can use these same chords to build his own and such.

after that you can get into the complexities of theory and how that relates to his riffs.

seriously this way he gets a nice balance of theory and song learning.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Nobody has suggested anything that remotely qualifies as a beginner song.

If you're talking absolute beginner then you need to start at the absolute beginning - open chords that dont move about. He has got absolutely no chance with Enter Sandman.

You can't try to teach him....

fast strumming patterns
quick chord changes
single note runs
moving power chords
barre chords
palm muting
left hand damping
hammer ons
pull offs
slides
bends

etc etc because to learn those things there's stuff you already need to know and have in place, if you try to learn too much at once you'll just end up in a mess. He may like those bands but that's tough, you need to do some donkey work to get to the point where you're able to play the stuff you like.

Teach him how to hold the guitar, how to hold the pick and drill into him how important going slowly and being accurate his, make sure he understands that learning how to do things properly is the most important thing when it comes to progressing on the guitar. Start him off with open E, A and D and get him to muck around with the Wild Thing progression - he'll struggle even with that so i have no idea how you expect him to tackle anything more complex than that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well, first songs I learnt were Come As You Are (Nirvana) and Smoke on the water. So I'd say those two, especially come as you are because it only needs 2 strings for most. I agree with enter sandman, i learnt it quite early on, along with Sad but true, Whiplash (not solo, just intro/verse/chorus for speed), and would also say Paranoid a bit later as the solo is a good starter