I am using an american standard strat with texas specials pickups and I am trying to decide what I should do about an amp. I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 that needs new tubes. What tubes would you recommend? They come with EL34s but I believe that Stevie used 6550s. What I am trying to decide is if I should retube the marshall or purchase a Fender Blues Jr. I'm trying to achieve something close to the tone on the track Texas Flood. However I still want a good sound for clean channel songs like Lenny and Riviera Paradise. Now obviously I would have more versatility with the Marshall being that it has clean and lead channels. My main concern is the cleans that the marshall will produce. I have not played my marshall with a fender single coil guitar. Also would the Blues Jr. achieve a good overdrive sound with a Ibanez tubescreamer? I am not sure if stevie used the tubescreamer in conjunction with the clean channel or overdrive channel for songs like Texas Flood. I believe he even said in an interview that he used marshalls for his clean sound and fenders for his lead sound. I know that fenders are commonly superior in their cleans to marshalls. Any advice as to what direction I should go would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sell the marshall. Not gonna get a Stevie tone like that.

Get a decent Fendery amp (BJ would be perfect) and toss a tubescreamer in front.
the best thing for the SRV tone would be a Fender Twin Reverb, but the Blues JR. would get you closer than that Marshall ever would (SRV used a Marshall Club and Country which is a JMP series amp from the 70s, very very different from what you have)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 26, 2009,
Get some really thick strings, like 0.13's.
My Music Videos

Guitars:
Breedlove Revival Series OM
Crosby Fingerstyle Model
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Fender Stratocaster (American)
Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele
you could get a similar SRV tone with the DSL

for tubes

Electro Harmonix EL34
Tung-Sol 12ax7

great combo. I have these in my TSL and I absolutely love how much they opened up my sound
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Thank you all for responding! I am using 13-56 already...anyways that really cleared it up for me...I'm still gonna keep the marshall for other music that I play but I think I will get The Blues Jr. Thanks again!
make sure to get a Tubescreamer or some variant!

It would sound good with the BJ.

I personally like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFETs muuuch more than a Tubescreamer though
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Tube screamers and BJ's no better combo!!!

Call Eurotubes and tell them what you want. That guy knows everything about tubes. A tube screamer is pretty much a must have to give your clean channel a little grit.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
remember that he used two tube screamers in series, i suggest getting the visual sound over drive called double trouble.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
The BJr does SRV tones pretty damn well, it's a great amp all around.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale

I love mine for my SRV tones. Stick a TS-808 in front of it and bam!

Any of the Reverb amps would do well too if you need a bigger sound.
Quote by al112987
Dumble Steel String Singer.

Yes

But really? Blues Junior would be pretty well suited to that kinda thing.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Exactly what I thought when I had mine.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Also how does the blues Jr. stand up to the Blues Deluxe and Hot rod deluxe? I am wondering If I should spend a little more and get the deluxe because it has two channels. Or do I really need 2 channels? Does the Blue Jr. get enough overdrive when cranked up?
.11's or .12s, or if you're really daring, .13s. Fender Deluxe Reverb/Twin Reverb, Strat (which you have) with hot wound p'ups. Run two Tube Screamers or two Maxon OD808s, one on all the time as a general boost, the other turn on when you need a gain boost/volume boost.

Oh, and have hands that could play barbed wire.

EDIT: I'd go with the 12'' Jensen. Stick with the BJ, only get the Hot Rod or Deville if you need gigging volumes.

And you could gig with a BJ; you'd just have no cleans with a drummer +bassist unless you were mic'd.

EDIT2: SRV didn't use any gain on his amps. He cranked them, pushed them over with the first TS, and then if he needed more bite or gain, he'd kick on the second TS.

Cranked clean + OD = SRV tone. The BJ eill definitely have enough cranked tone.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Feb 27, 2009,
Quote by mcrfobtai
Sell the marshall. Not gonna get a Stevie tone like that.

Get a decent Fendery amp (BJ would be perfect) and toss a tubescreamer in front.

Sorry for the DP.

Stevie did use Dumbles though.

mmmmm. Dumble tonez
--

--
Tube screamer + Super Reverb. The super reverb is almost identical to the twin reverb but it crunches up more than the twin. I know SRV used a BF Super Reverb.
Thanks Jesse...Well I need the amp primarily for gigging...so your saying I'll get drowned out by a bassist and drummer playing clean unless mic'd? If I mic the amp will I loose any tone? And If you had to pick between the blues deluxe or hotrod deluxe, which would it be....thanks again for everyones input!
Well, the thing is is that the BJ has a really great cranked tone. You can use THAT in conjunction with the two ODs and probably get even closer to an SRV tone.

The only thing is though is that the competition would be pretty stiff between you and a drummer and a bassist. If you add another guitarist in, you're pretty screwed

You could go for a larger amp like the Blackface Super Reverb, but that'll set you back a lot. I have no clue what the Blues Deluxe/Hot Rod/Deville sound cranked. If you go to a GC or music store that has one, and ask them, they might let you crank it up and try it, though.

That'd be your best bet
--

--
The BJr is not really any quieter than the HRD. Unless I needed nothing but crystal clear cleans I'd take the BJr over the HRD every time. The slightly broken cleans you can get out of it are phenomenal, and very frickin loud. A 40 watt amp is only gonna be about 3 dbs louder than a 15 watt amp, that's barely a difference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Chaosinborn
Tube screamer + Super Reverb. The super reverb is almost identical to the twin reverb but it crunches up more than the twin. I know SRV used a BF Super Reverb.

Your forgetting the Vibroverbs. 2 of them, and 2 Super reverbs, and a dumble on some tours.

TS - Strongly consider a Blues Jr and form of tubescreamer. You will be glad you did.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 27, 2009,
Marshall Haze Combo vibro channel with Tubescreamer. It will transform your American Strat. Use heavy strings, tune down half a step. I use factory pickups. I am Very happy with this combo after years of searching for a tone.
-Ed
Quote by highwaysalmon
Get some really thick strings, like 0.13's.
The Twin Reverb a tubescreamer and this. When I put 13's on a strat and played into a Pro Jr it sounded closer to SRVs's tone than anything I've tried. But the 13's are too fat for me to manage so I took them off.
i would say if you havea very good budget, a marshall plexi, with 2 ts 808's and a fender twin for the ''fatness'' of the tone.

fender texas specials with a strat 5 springs in back fully tensioned to accomodate the .13 or more strings and to give that lenny trem sound, much softer

the hard picking style does alot in srv's tone, practice hard and when your fingers bleed patch em up with skin from your feet and crazy glue. DO NOT put cocaine in your coffee it wont help you AT ALL

dont forget the top hat